+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's what's not in it

The fans
    Of which you are not one, so why are you getting so hysterical?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    UEFA has three official languages - English, French, and German. Does Noel Mooney also want us to be called Cymru instead of Pays de Galles in French?
    That makes no sense, think about it.

100000 people in Cardiff speak Welsh?

That's absolute cobblers

400000 people or so in Cardiff ?

A quarter of the population of the city speak Welsh?

No way
    Maybe just 102,000 people in Cardiff (aged 3 and above) claim to speak Welsh - or be able to speak Welsh - even if their first language is English.

https://gov.wales/welsh-language-dat...2021-june-2022

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's all marketing, but it is a peculiar marketing strategy isn't it? The name Cymru is fundementally unknown around the world, whereas the name Wales is, even if people can't point to it on a map.

Domestically, Cymru will appeal to some, but I would suggest they already feel pretty at home watching international games and are welcome to call the team Cymru if they wish anyway. For the bulk of the country the team is Wales. I suppose a new name would intrigue some internationally, make them look up the countries history and all the rest. More likely though, people will wonder who the fk 'Cymru' are and make jokes about cum or something.

Just seems a strange strategy for me. Sometimes what works domestically doesn't work internationally or vice versa. In this case, I'm not sure the marketing would work for anyone.

Compared to Jonathan Ford, I'm increasingly questioning Noel Mooney's methods now. This strikes me as stiring a pot that doesn't need stirring.
    I suppose only time will tell whether or not this strategy is successful.

I'm assuming they've done their research on the matter and the 'Cymru' brand, identity and marketing is being evaluated as very favourable?

I got a couple of observations here.

During the late 80s, 90s and early 00s there was pressure for the 'home nations' to become the UK. That was from FIFA members who saw the UK nations as basically having their penny and the bun.

The more distinctive Wales/Cymru have is OK with me as I could never get behind the concept of a Team UK or GB and if it protects our identity and promotes us as an independent football association/country that's good with me.

I don't consider myself a raving nationalist but I'm sympathetic to the argument, I'll admit to an amount of distrust to groups like Welsh Football Fans for Independence using matches as a tool to further political views.

Same as I wasn't too fussed on the BNP or EDL/WDL using football.

I think Mooney is doing OK? He certainly engages with the Welsh support. He's a far cry from Alan Evans!

Cobblers

Ask your taffy mates in Merthyr what part of Manchester or Liverpool they come from
    What part of Cardiff do you come from?

Is Bridgend more in common to St. Ives or Merthyr?

Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    4th?

According to this link which City123 provided earlier in the thread there are 102,000 Welsh-speakers in Cardiff.

I’d imagine that Polish, Somali, Potuguese, Arabic, Gujerati, Farsi, Hindi, Urdu, Sylheti and Punjabi are the most common languages in Cardiff other than Welsh or English but there is no way that any of them have anywhere near 100,000 speakers.
    100,000 out of 400,000? My absolute arse there is…..

100000 people in Cardiff speak Welsh?

That's absolute cobblers

400000 people or so in Cardiff ?

A quarter of the population of the city speak Welsh?

No way
    I know about 10 welsh speakers, out of say 200 people. I’m sure that’s about average. They all went to glantaff. That must be one huge comprehensive school hey

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I know about 10 welsh speakers, out of say 200 people. I’m sure that’s about average. They all went to glantaff. That must be one huge comprehensive school hey
    According to this https://statswales.gov.wales/Catalog...elshmediumtype 9000 out of 56000 children in Cardiff are in Welsh-medium schools. There are three high schools and 18 primary schools teaching through the medium of Welsh. So around 16% of children in Cardiff are in Welsh-medium education.

I understand and speak a little Welsh but I learnt none at school (I’m in my 50s). There are plenty of people like me - adult learners of Welsh. Also, there are many thousands of Welsh speakers living in Cardiff who grew up in the west and north and have moved to the capital to work or study.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    To be fair, people already take the piss out of Wales sounding like "whales", maybe sex jokes are an untapped market?
    Many people in Somerset seem to pronounce Wales and Wells in exactly the same way. It can be confusing at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    If the FAW want change - then bring it on, firstly you have to be pure Welsh to get in the squad none of this my great grandad visited snowdonia once upon a time. secondly all Welsh teams play in Welsh leagues like Scotland and Ireland.
    Cymru am Byth 🤣🤣
    Berwick Rangers are an English club who’ve always played in the Scottish leagues, Derry City from Northern Ireland play in the Republic’s League, even TNS are based in England I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Of which you are not one, so why are you getting so hysterical?
    I am a fan of Wales and they are the only international side I go and watch

You dribbling train wreck

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Maybe just 102,000 people in Cardiff (aged 3 and above) claim to speak Welsh - or be able to speak Welsh - even if their first language is English.

It's great that lots of people are speaking Welsh but this over egging is a bit daft

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Asking for a friend.
    I think with reference to this situation the inference is clear

If you live in South Wales then it's perfectly reasonable to expect the locals , if they are football fans , to follow Newport, Cardiff , Swansea as our league clubs

Some of course will be Cwmbran , Merthyr , Barry supporters and so on as one works down the league pyramid , all the way down their local pub side

But if an individual criticises another individual at a Wales game for wearing a Cardiff City pin badge but he himself supports an English football team 150 miles away then I tell him to piss off 🙄

And that is the way it is

Asking for a friend.
    Bridgend and Merthyr have lots in common with urban areas such as Camborne in Cornwall . All three are old industrial areas based on mining .

I don't know anything about St Ives, I think it could be a fishing port .

So if it is , its got more in common with Newquay in Cardiganshire

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    According to this https://statswales.gov.wales/Catalog...elshmediumtype 9000 out of 56000 children in Cardiff are in Welsh-medium schools. There are three high schools and 18 primary schools teaching through the medium of Welsh. So around 16% of children in Cardiff are in Welsh-medium education.

I understand and speak a little Welsh but I learnt none at school (I’m in my 50s). There are plenty of people like me - adult learners of Welsh. Also, there are many thousands of Welsh speakers living in Cardiff who grew up in the west and north and have moved to the capital to work or study.
    16%. I’d imagine the amount of welsh speakers is around that, although after pushing it on kids for years it might just be higher in that age range. I almost put my kids in a local welsh primary, some of my neighbours did. After chatting to the head teacher we told her we didn’t speak a word of welsh, she said that 90% of the kids parents didn’t. I don’t think they enjoyed the home schooling much.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    16%. I’d imagine the amount of welsh speakers is around that, although after pushing it on kids for years it might just be higher in that age range. I almost put my kids in a local welsh primary, some of my neighbours did. After chatting to the head teacher we told her we didn’t speak a word of welsh, she said that 90% of the kids parents didn’t. I don’t think they enjoyed the home schooling much.
    The arguement for Welsh primary and secondary education is that whilst a proportion of kids will drop the language some will speak it for life and again your children speaking Welsh will encourage some parents to learn as well

I don't have a problem with that if it's economically worth the cost and actually strengthens the Welsh language .

I have no intention of learning Welsh, I am happy being an English speaking Welsh person . Most Welsh speakers I have met have been good people and it's only the minority who make stupid comments .

The arguement for Welsh primary and secondary education is that whilst a proportion of kids will drop the language some will speak it for life and again your children speaking Welsh will encourage some parents to learn as well

I don't have a problem with that if it's economically worth the cost and actually strengthens the Welsh language .

I have no intention of learning Welsh, I am happy being an English speaking Welsh person . Most Welsh speakers I have met have been good people and it's only the minority who make stupid comments .
    My 9 year old can speak quite a lot already, no doubt my 11 year old will by the time he leaves high school. So, what’s the point of doing everything in welsh? It’s a pretty easy made up load of nonsense to grasp anyway, I guess with it you can work for s4c and stuff….

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Berwick Rangers are an English club who’ve always played in the Scottish leagues, Derry City from Northern Ireland play in the Republic’s League, even TNS are based in England I believe.
    So no Scottish or Irish play in the English pyramid system then.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    So no Scottish or Irish play in the English pyramid system then.
    Don’t think so, I was just pointing out that it’s not just Welsh clubs in GB who play in other systems.

I am a fan of Wales and they are the only international side I go and watch

You dribbling train wreck
    Cobblers

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Cobblers
    You are back from the pub , pissed

Feck off to bed you soppy tart

Bridgend and Merthyr have lots in common with urban areas such as Camborne in Cornwall . All three are old industrial areas based on mining .

I don't know anything about St Ives, I think it could be a fishing port .

So if it is , its got more in common with Newquay in Cardiganshire
    I feel at home in Camborne already. I'm assuming politically they are Labour? Have Camborne got a football club I can support? It's only a round trip of 440 miles for me.

I feel at home in Camborne already. I'm assuming politically they are Labour? Have Camborne got a football club I can support? It's only a round trip of 440 miles for me.
    Yes but the surrounding area is Tory

Yes

League wise it's Plymouth, about 50 minutes away

That's what the proper locals do

But the local idiots watch Man United or Liverpool and have the piss ripped out of them by the pilgrims