+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Thoughts? Think they'd still be Wales to me. https://www.theguardian.com/football...-world-cup-faw

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Thoughts? Think they'd still be Wales to me. https://www.theguardian.com/football...-world-cup-faw
    So change the name of the national team, in a country where only about 30% of the population speak the language. Very clever. Almost as idiotic as changing all the road signs.

My thoughts are no thank you , stick with Wales

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So change the name of the national team, in a country where only about 30% of the population speak the language. Very clever. Almost as idiotic as changing all the road signs.
    Not comparable at all - why is it idiotic to be able to conduct your life in the language of your birthplace that you were raised with and understand and use daily?

There have been a few discussions on here where there is a general agreement that the Welsh support and authorities seem to be amplifying slightly more nationalistic tones than they used to. Some support that, others dont. Personally, I think that's a dangerous road to go down and it seems Noel Moody may be behind some of it? It's notable that the Rep of Ireland did used to be known as Ireland.

I don't support this idea. Wales is what the majority of people in Wales refer to their country as. It's also how the rest of the world know us (if they know us at all)

I would feel less connection as a result to be honest. It's not comparable to our rebrand, but it is a rebrand nonetheless and seems a strange move to rock a steady boat.

I think it might appeal to the cracac in pontcanna

And those yes Cymru lot

But when Bryn Terfel sings the national anthem and says the blood of caradog flows through him then when asked by the BBC who are his sporting heroes he says fecking man United I say what a load of bollocks all this fake nationalism is

I don't get the reference to Turkey. Are they saying the Turks, officially and unofficially used to call themselves Turkey?

There's very different reasons why a Welsh person would happily call the team "Wales". For me it's being as I don't speak Welsh and the language is as foreign to me as Turkish. Rightly or wrongly.

Why confuse the international population anymore? Most barely know Wales as it is.

Why change something that is not Broken.

On English speaking broadcasters Sky/BT/BBC we can be referred to as Wales
    and on S4C or any other Welsh publications they can call us Cymru.

Seems to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

And those yes Cymru lot

But when Bryn Terfel sings the national anthem and says the blood of caradog flows through him then when asked by the BBC who are his sporting heroes he says fecking man United I say what a load of bollocks all this fake nationalism is
    As someone said elsewhere, City 1st, Wales 2nd. If they do this I'll support England instead.

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Would help promote the Welsh (Cymru) language and is the Welsh word for Wales so not a rebrand really.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    As someone said elsewhere, City 1st, Wales 2nd. If they do this I'll support England instead.
    Got to be fishing here.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don't think I'm bothered either way, I'd probably just end up using both without thinking about it. I've heard people use Cymru in various settings.
    There is precedent for it too. Czechia, The Netherlands, Turkiye, Myanmar and Eswatini all in recent years have changed their names and for Sri Lanka, Costa Rica, El Salvador and probably more we don't use English translations.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Got to be fishing here.
    Not really. Turn on the radio and there's endless public service announcements in Welsh. Welsh is now above English on all new road signage etc. Texts from the NHS to my phone are in Welsh, followed by English. Parking machines are in Welsh by default, etc. English comes 2nd in everything. Wales is run by Welsh bigots. If that spreads to their football team they can stuff it.

I have never ever heard anyone call Wales Cymru in a football sense

Maybe in print but even then it's rare

It's Wales ff sake

Are you going to the Wales game , isn't it fantastic to see Wales in euro 2016 , bloody hell Wales gave Belgium a stuffing , I wonder if Bale is going to help Wales get to the world Cup?

Not really. Turn on the radio and there's endless public service announcements in Welsh. Welsh is now above English on all new road signage etc. Texts from the NHS to my phone are in Welsh, followed by English. Parking machines are in Welsh by default, etc. English comes 2nd in everything. Wales is run by Welsh bigots. If that spreads to their football team they can stuff it.
    You need a day at Blaenavon museum.

The cost for each thing translated, print etc etc is probably negligible but added up over the years and we probably could have afforded a relief road for the M4 or a train station on East Cardiff which I read the other day was being reviewed again.

Charlatans

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    You need a day at Blaenavon museum.
    Blaenafon more like.

I'm not too bothered either way, but it would confuse more people than it would please.

However, it would be a move from calling ourselves 'foreigners' or 'outsiders' (from the original Saxon) to 'friends' or 'fellow countrymen'.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    We say come on Cymru in our house but then the kids and wife are welsh speakers.

Those whining about it on here are the people who also still whine about the miners strikes and the impact Tories had on welsh communities. Have you ever heard of the welsh not?

I assume you all still call it a Chicken Kiev and not a Chicken Keeeeev.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

And those yes Cymru lot

You are the biggest Uncle Tom of the lot, boot licker

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Got to be fishing here.
    Nah, I don't think anything will ever top the Welsh language in its ability to piss off some on here. Quite sad really.

I think this thread has hit all the classics already and it's barely been up for two hours.

I think the FAW should be concentrating on the massive upcoming event in Qatar rather than pushing the Cymru over Wales thing. It doesn't bother me either way Wales or Cymru, but i would lean on keeping it as Wales as this is what people around the world know it as. What does bother me by this release from FAW is why are they not concentrating on the World Cup tournament, instead of getting involved with shit outside of football.
    Spedger

Think it's a great idea to promote the Welsh language on the world stage, not sure why anyone would be against it.