+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I think he means the FAW when he says that's what we call it here. He sounds like another jobsworth trying to justify his position.
    We have been called Cymru on the official programmes for quite some time now. Long before Noel Mooney.

Keep up at the back.

We'll be crap again soon and all our newfound red wall members will then find a reason to tap out.

Wales is a handy guilt-free home for those football fans with no Welsh club abode, i.e. Premier league fans. I know two going to the WC both support Liverpool, but never go.

Give it two seasons it will be back to Cardiff, Swansea and the old schools gogs with crowds of 12~15K

The FAW need to tread carefully

I'm looking forward to the 中华人民共和国 vs 대한민국 game, and I might put a cheeky tenner on 대한민국.

It'll be a nightmare for the media deciding whether to pronounce it either come-roo, simroo, simree, or maybe even come-ree?
    Many of them struggle with Birminum🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Germani were a particular collection of tribes and the word 'Deutsch' is considered to have come from a German word that means 'folk'.
    Some Latin languages and Welsh use names for Germany that relate to the Alemmani tribes (Allemagne etc) and some Baltic languages relate to the Saxon tribes (Saksa in Finnish). Eastern European languages use a word for Germany that meant in their respective languages 'non-speaker i.e Niemcy/Německ/Nemecko (Polish, Czech and Slovak respectively).
    In what is a large country, its identity is associated either with different tribes or being foreign.
    It’s a hell of a fascinating subject. Living is Poland certainly gives me a different insight into this part of the world and the dynamics and shifting that taken place. How the young Poles view part of Poland as German or Prussian still but places like Lviv as Polish. Poland basically went missing for 200 years, split up between Prussia, Russia & Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Welsh football fans are revered the world over for the passion in which we sing the national anthem but don’t dare call the team by it’s welsh language name

We will be singing GSTK before games it was left up to some of the bootlickers on here.
    So Welsh football fans who like the team to be called [checks notes] 'Wales' are now bootlickers who secretly want to sing the English (Sorry, Saesneg) national anthem. Gotcha.

Why shouldn’t a country be addressed in the name of its own language?
    Because you're addressing that country in, for example, English, and the English world for Cymru is Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It'll be a nightmare for the media deciding whether to pronounce it either come-roo, simroo, simree, or maybe even come-ree?
    Many of them struggle with Birminum
    It brings back fond memories of an ex-gf named Rhianna.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s a hell of a fascinating subject. Living is Poland certainly gives me a different insight into this part of the world and the dynamics and shifting that taken place. How the young Poles view part of Poland as German or Prussian still but places like Lviv as Polish. Poland basically went missing for 200 years, split up between Prussia, Russia & Austria.
    I agree that Poland is a very fascinating country - I've read a lot on central European history, particularly the last century and how it was pulled between two central powers.

I know we have our own idenitity conversations in terms of Wales, Britain etc but our boundary is pretty well defined - some questions over Monmouthshire many decades ago notwithstanding.

As you say, Poland has been pulled all over the place and in some cases didn't strictly exist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So change the name of the national team, in a country where only about 30% of the population speak the language. Very clever. Almost as idiotic as changing all the road signs.
    Call yourself a supporter? Why aren’t you blindly supporting everything your team does.
    You should go and support England, in that case! 🤪

Personally (and I’m a non-Welsh speaker), I’m fine with it.

Why shouldn’t a country be addressed in the name of its own language?
    My language is English, same as all my family and friends. Therefore, we'd rather it was known as Wales.

Why do you care what our country is called in a football sense?

You are always so keen to tell us how it’s City first, Wales 2nd and you couldn’t really care for international football?
    It would be absolutely pathetic but if it pleased the likes of you to feel half Welsh then go for it

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I’d do the same ….. English mother and grandparents, English wife , Welsh Speaking son.

quite like France too as French ancestors
    See ya

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You think it's insignificant the way in which your country is addressed?
    When it’s literally the name for the country of the language from the actual country…..yes

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    There’s some right weird herbs in here fair play. If this is all you have to get upset about then you need to get a life.
    Just because we don't agree with the Welsh mafia doesn't mean we are getting worked up about it

It just appears to be utterly stupid

The what's app football group I am in is full of Cardiff and Swansea and Welsh fans , they all think its cobblers

But the cracac pontcanna trendies who follow the English football teams and Wales when we are doing well will I am sure be right behind it

Welsh football fans are revered the world over for the passion in which we sing the national anthem but don’t dare call the team by it’s welsh language name

We will be singing GSTK before games it was left up to some of the bootlickers on here.
    Oh feck off you daft twat 🤣

"I'r heniaith barhau", but don't you dare think about using it!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    So Welsh football fans who like the team to be called [checks notes] 'Wales' are now bootlickers who secretly want to sing the English (Sorry, Saesneg) national anthem. Gotcha.
    Staggering feckwit

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Just because we don't agree with the Welsh mafia doesn't mean we are getting worked up about it

The what's app football group I am in is full of Cardiff and Swansea and Welsh fans , they all think its cobblers

But the cracac pontcanna trendies who follow the English football teams and Wales when we are doing well will I am sure be right behind it

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    "I'r heniaith barhau", but don't you dare think about using it!
    Sing what you want when you want in Welsh, in English and support the team

But let's not kid ourselves here the success of the Welsh football team is being used as a step ladder

The Welsh language and the country of Wales will survive by people speaking Welsh and the Welsh national team will be stronger by Welsh people supporting Welsh football teams

Not by renaming the Welsh side Cymru

For many Welsh speakers it already is and for many Welsh speakers it is Wales

I have absolutely no idea why the FAW are coming through with this , it's a load of cobblers

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

What’s utterly stupid is having beef with the language of your country.

I'm trying to muster up some kind of argument on the proposal for the name change, but i can't, i just can't. Sorry. The singing of Nationalist songs is a bit of a concern for me though, although i would say Nationalism with a small N. Comparable to ireland in some respects, although their invasion and occupation is much more in the minds, culture and politics of the country in modern times, even if it's an absolute neo liberal tax haven for the rich multi's, and the wealth doesn't much hang about there.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There's literally someone in this thread saying he'll go and support England if this happens.

We are, officially, a bilingual country.

I don't have any beef with the Welsh language at all

I think this is pathetic nonsense though , the Welsh language is doing fine without this input , what's the point

Are we in 20 years expecting all the players to be saying I am looking forward to waring my Cymru shirt v England next month ?