Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
Yes I do. Based on your avatar, I'm in the next valley across from you. I went to a local Welsh primary school, then secondary school. I soon got used to the "Welshie" tag, that would sometimes mean having to justify why my parents sent me to a Welsh school, along with plenty of patronising "iacky da" and "say something in Welsh, then".

I fully appreciate some lose their Welsh after their school days end - mine got a little rusty after three years at university in Southampton - but thankfully I've kept mine and use it daily, both in work (mine is not a "Welsh speaking role") and socially. Although I'm proud to be able to speak the language and promote its use where and when I can, I'd never ram it down anyone's throat or be a language policeman. Each to their own in terms of their opinions although I do find some of the replies on the Cymru/FAW thread to be a little strange, but opinions are just that, there's no right and wrong.
As for those that have tried to learn it - or don't fancy starting - like any language, it's not easy (especially starting out) and I genuinely sympathise. That's especially true for monoglots. Being taught bilingually certainly helps at a young age and it seems widely accepted that being bilingual makes it easier to then learn a third language etc. I speak Welsh to my kids, who are fully bilingual as they speak English to my wife.