+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Welsh speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Welsh speakers

Yes, I speak Welsh daily. Had a smattering from my mother's side of the family when I was young and then had it knocked out of me growing up in Penarth. Pushed myself through an A Level and went on to do a degree (with an extra year because it was my second language). Every job I have had since has had a Welsh speaking element and I wouldn't have got any of them without being able to speak the language. I've worked in education and the third sector. My hard work has rewarded me every singe day of my life since. It's not just about the language and culture either (although, that's a huge bonus) it's about bilingualism - it improves problem solving skills and has enabled me to hold conversations with people in Italian, Catalan, Spanish etc just by having a more well rounded understanding of languages and a wider vocabulary generally.

Re: Welsh speakers

Quote Originally Posted by El Horno View Post
    Yes, I speak Welsh daily. Had a smattering from my mother's side of the family when I was young and then had it knocked out of me growing up in Penarth. Pushed myself through an A Level and went on to do a degree (with an extra year because it was my second language). Every job I have had since has had a Welsh speaking element and I wouldn't have got any of them without being able to speak the language. I've worked in education and the third sector. My hard work has rewarded me every singe day of my life since. It's not just about the language and culture either (although, that's a huge bonus) it's about bilingualism - it improves problem solving skills and has enabled me to hold conversations with people in Italian, Catalan, Spanish etc just by having a more well rounded understanding of languages and a wider vocabulary generally.

You’re experience is why I sent my son to a Welsh speaking school. He’s doing very well for his age (6)

Post Re: Welsh speakers

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    You’re experience is why I sent my son to a Welsh speaking school. He’s doing very well for his age (6)
    Awesome. I wish I'd had that opportunity. It'll open doors, for sure.