+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh speakers

Welsh speakers

Okay following on from the Cymru thread.....Who speaks fluent welsh on here then?. I don't, could never get my head around it at school. Cannot sing the national anthem just hum and der and try my best. Ain't got a clue of it's translation maybe someone could translate it on here for us. Welsh was never spoken in my house growing up nor in the corner shops in the villages....I respect that it's spoken in the west and in the north but it's a very small minority. Oh and lastly the English middle classes think it's so in vogue at the minute to learn Welsh.

Re: Welsh speakers

1. Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
    Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
    Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
    Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed.

Chorus:
    Gwlad, Gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
    Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
    O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

2. Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd;
    Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd,
    Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si,
    Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.

3. Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
    Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
    Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
    Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

What do the lyrics mean?
    The song talks of Wales' rich heritage and culture of poetry, music, patriotic heroes, linguistic pride and, of course, Wales' inimitable landscape. It translates as the following:

1. This land of my fathers is dear to me
    Land of poets and singers, and people of stature
    Her brave warriors, fine patriots
    Shed their blood for freedom

Chorus:
    Land! Land! I am true to my land!
    As long as the sea serves as a wall
    For this pure, dear land
    May the language endure for ever.

2. Old land of the mountains, paradise of the poets,
    Every valley, every cliff a beauty guards;
    Through love of my country, enchanting voices will be
    Her streams and rivers to me.

3. Though the enemy have trampled my country underfoot,
    The old language of the Welsh knows no retreat,
    The spirit is not hindered by the treacherous hand
    Nor silenced the sweet harp of my land.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    1. Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
    Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
    Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
    Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed.

Chorus:
    Gwlad, Gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
    Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
    O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

2. Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd;
    Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd,
    Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si,
    Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.

3. Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
    Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
    Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
    Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

What do the lyrics mean?
    The song talks of Wales' rich heritage and culture of poetry, music, patriotic heroes, linguistic pride and, of course, Wales' inimitable landscape. It translates as the following:

1. This land of my fathers is dear to me
    Land of poets and singers, and people of stature
    Her brave warriors, fine patriots
    Shed their blood for freedom

Chorus:
    Land! Land! I am true to my land!
    As long as the sea serves as a wall
    For this pure, dear land
    May the language endure for ever.

2. Old land of the mountains, paradise of the poets,
    Every valley, every cliff a beauty guards;
    Through love of my country, enchanting voices will be
    Her streams and rivers to me.

3. Though the enemy have trampled my country underfoot,
    The old language of the Welsh knows no retreat,
    The spirit is not hindered by the treacherous hand
    Nor silenced the sweet harp of my land.
    Here's another translation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziJoep1cDlY

I can hold basic conversations in Welsh. Likes/dislikes, how are you, how's your day, where are you going/have been, what are you doing/have done, weather, etc just from stuff I remember being taught in school. A 20 minute conversation in Welsh would exhaust most of my knowledge and my reading comprehension is probably that of a 10 year old.

On the census though I wouldn't consider myself a Welsh speaker, but I think it's a higher proportion of the population that can speak and understand a decent amount of Welsh than just 25% that are down as "Welsh Speakers" on the census.

Love our anthem in Welsh.

I wonder how that would sound if sung word for word in english?

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Love our anthem in Welsh.

I wonder how that would sound if sung word for word in english?
    You obviously ain’t pressed the link

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    You obviously ain’t pressed the link
    Ah I was work and now I know.
    Should have kept it a mystery.

I don't speak Welsh and i don't know the Anthem. I don't really know what being welsh is, if it is actually something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't speak Welsh and i don't know the Anthem. I don't really know what being welsh is, if it is actually something.
    Identity is often a moving feast, sometimes cherry-picking historical interpretations regarding a certain point in time - and which is often romanticised. For my part, I think much of culture is embedded in the native languages rather than hoisting up a flag that once belonged to a prince or aristocrat who had little in common with the common people. 'Tis more complex than that but I'm orf to my German class in a min.....

I used to speak a little, though in school I did " welsh history " ( which in turn led me down the rabbit hole that was the FWA stuff ) instead of learning to speak it, as lets be honest, little call for it in Barry back when I grew up

I speak more Polish and Spanish than welsh, though I dont class myself as a Polish / Spainish speaker though, its just " how are you", "have a nice day " etc etc

Was taught French in school instead of our mother tongue, ridiculous.

I learnt the anthem and wish I had the time to dedicate to learning more

I think yma o hyd sounds fantastic but I don't speak any Welsh. I went several times to night classes but you have to be interested and committed if you want to be more than a person who knows a few words

I was more interested in CCFC , fishing , listening to metal , going to gigs , cinema and watching TV than learning Welsh

That doesn't mean I think Welsh is stupid or a useless language ......its clearly neither ....its just I have other interests in life more important to me than learning Welsh.

Apparently the Welsh government want 1 million people speaking Welsh by 2050 . I won't be one of them as I have tried and I don't have the inclination . For those that are learning I hope you pass it on to your children .

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Identity is often a moving feast, sometimes cherry-picking historical interpretations regarding a certain point in time - and which is often romanticised. For my part, I think much of culture is embedded in the native languages rather than hoisting up a flag that once belonged to a prince or aristocrat who had little in common with the common people. 'Tis more complex than that but I'm orf to my German class in a min.....
    I've always found that culture is about people rather than the place they were born, and how experiences, good or bad, shapes them and their actions, beliefs etc. As i have got older i have become more and more uncomfortable with people who tell me (whether directly or indirectly) That i should identify with a certain group or way of thinking, i have also found it more difficult to condemn things that i don't fully understand, or nuanced, inter changeable etc. When i was younger i was more definite, as i've got older that has diminished. I really have no idea what i am!

My kids all went to Welsh-medium schools and all speak Welsh. It was my ex-wife's first language. I tried my best to learn, I even went to lessons, but I just couldn't get my head round it. I can understand a lot, and can read a bit, but that's about it.
    Language is taught differently these days. I had French for just one year in school, but fifty years later, I can still use it to make myself understood. We learnt verbs 'parrot fashion' back then, and I've never forgotten them.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Okay following on from the Cymru thread.....Who speaks fluent welsh on here then?. I don't, could never get my head around it at school. Cannot sing the national anthem just hum and der and try my best. Ain't got a clue of it's translation maybe someone could translate it on here for us. Welsh was never spoken in my house growing up nor in the corner shops in the villages....I respect that it's spoken in the west and in the north but it's a very small minority. Oh and lastly the English middle classes think it's so in vogue at the minute to learn Welsh.
    Yes I do. Based on your avatar, I'm in the next valley across from you. I went to a local Welsh primary school, then secondary school. I soon got used to the "Welshie" tag, that would sometimes mean having to justify why my parents sent me to a Welsh school, along with plenty of patronising "iacky da" and "say something in Welsh, then".

I fully appreciate some lose their Welsh after their school days end - mine got a little rusty after three years at university in Southampton - but thankfully I've kept mine and use it daily, both in work (mine is not a "Welsh speaking role") and socially. Although I'm proud to be able to speak the language and promote its use where and when I can, I'd never ram it down anyone's throat or be a language policeman. Each to their own in terms of their opinions although I do find some of the replies on the Cymru/FAW thread to be a little strange, but opinions are just that, there's no right and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Yes I do. Based on your avatar, I'm in the next valley across from you. I went to a local Welsh primary school, then secondary school. I soon got used to the "Welshie" tag, that would sometimes mean having to justify why my parents sent me to a Welsh school, along with plenty of patronising "iacky da" and "say something in Welsh, then".

I fully appreciate some lose their Welsh after their school days end - mine got a little rusty after three years at university in Southampton - but thankfully I've kept mine and use it daily, both in work (mine is not a "Welsh speaking role") and socially. Although I'm proud to be able to speak the language and promote its use where and when I can, I'd never ram it down anyone's throat or be a language policeman. Each to their own in terms of their opinions although I do find some of the replies on the Cymru/FAW thread to be a little strange, but opinions are just that, there's no right and wrong.
    As for those that have tried to learn it - or don't fancy starting - like any language, it's not easy (especially starting out) and I genuinely sympathise. That's especially true for monoglots. Being taught bilingually certainly helps at a young age and it seems widely accepted that being bilingual makes it easier to then learn a third language etc. I speak Welsh to my kids, who are fully bilingual as they speak English to my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    As for those that have tried to learn it - or don't fancy starting - like any language, it's not easy (especially starting out) and I genuinely sympathise. That's especially true for monoglots. Being taught bilingually certainly helps at a young age and it seems widely accepted that being bilingual makes it easier to then learn a third language etc. I speak Welsh to my kids, who are fully bilingual as they speak English to my wife.
    Were your parents Welsh speakers ?

I understand basic football commentary in Welsh from watching Italian and Spanish football on Sgorio when I was a kid, but that's about it.
    I can struggle through most of the national anthem parrot fashion, but no idea what I'm singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I understand basic football commentary in Welsh from watching Italian and Spanish football on Sgorio when I was a kid, but that's about it.
    I can struggle through most of the national anthem parrot fashion, but no idea what I'm singing.
    If you are happy with that , that's cool

If you want to learn there are loads of opportunities

Has the promotion of the language gone too far ?

Is it best just naturally letting young people carry the torch ?

Is it worth the money being spent ?

All fair questions which can be talked about without being accused of being anti Welsh language

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Were your parents Welsh speakers ?
    One was, the other not.

Having a Catholic upbringing and schooling, it was more ‘Hail Glorious St Patrick’ than ‘O Great St David’. Half day off for St David’s Day and a full day off for St Patrick’s Day. No Calon Lan or Myfanwy, in fact no Welsh education at all. Looking back I do wish our history lessons were Welsh biased rather than, what it seemed like, glorifying conquering other ‘inferior’ countries, ‘educating’ them in ‘English’ ways and Empire building. One contradiction was that, with hindsight, I’d have thought there’d have been more on the struggle of the Irish to break free of Westminster than reciting Kings & Queens of England. All most probably due to Wales bowing to the English system. Has the curriculum changed now? Are pupils (I won’t call school kids students, that moniker is for further education) now learning Welsh history?

It's pathetic that the school system (at the time ) threw welsh german and french at me in the same year... I had no chance.

Those numbers are nearly 12 years old

Don't speak Welsh and I wish the whole topic would be depoliticised somewhat. Language is how people communicate. How mothers speak to children, how people order coffees, how people greet themselves etc.

There is no need for the endless political projects to promote the language. It is growing, it is not under threat. What's needed is more organic Welsh within the community.

Whenever this is put to the test, anecdotally or otherwise, Welsh rarely seems to be used; be it enquiries on companies dedicated welsh lines, requests for data in welsh, cash machine withdrawals in welsh, even down to the fact I used to live near Glan Taf and would walk past kids on the way to work - they were never conversing in Welsh together - why is that?

I enjoy the language as an outsider. I like listening to the music on radio cymru, I think it's nice to hear it spoken and I wish we had more welsh folk music nights in town etc, but I'm not convinced the endless agitation and promotion helps if I'm honest.