+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FT: SUNDERLAND 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: SUNDERLAND v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He was put there to hold onto the ball, buying that little bit of time where support would get to him. We can blame Hudson a bit for putting him in that position, because he is utterly shit at this level(Watters) He wasn't strong, didn't look interested, didn't work hard across the line etc. Yeah. it's a shit show of a role to play, but he didn't want to know, i'd **** him off on Monday if i was Hudson, tell him to stay home. playing like that is cheating your team mates.
    City on the back foot, struggling to get up the pitch, and then in the 85th minute, 40yd cross field ball to his feet, and he lets it go past him. Then a couple of gentle jogs back and across the pitch. He was subbed as a sub last season, which brought accusation of cruelty from some. Methinks he's wanted away for a while.

Re: FT: SUNDERLAND 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    In other seasons, maybe. We are 14th now, 4 points off 10th with one striker and zero creative centre mids…
    Central midfield is a problem. No penetration. I can understand why people like wintle, and he is a decent player, but we need a bit of spark in that area and it aint going to come from him.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    City on the back foot, struggling to get up the pitch, and then in the 85th minute, 40yd cross field ball to his feet, and he lets it go past him. Then a couple of gentle jogs back and across the pitch. He was subbed as a sub last season, which brought accusation of cruelty from some. Methinks he's wanted away for a while.
    Was he? I thought Watters was dragged off before half time and it was Davies that was subbed as a sub?

I don't think he wants away, it's just not happening for him here though.
    to keep getting chances he must be doing well in training, but just isn't doing it on match day. although as a few have pointed out he was on for a bit of a hiding to nothing today as we weren't doing any attacking once he came on

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Central midfield is a problem. No penetration. I can understand why people like wintle, and he is a decent player, but we need a bit of spark in that area and it aint going to come from him.
    I think that's why we went 2 in centre midfield. It allowed us to get one more body forward and we played well with that system, despite missing several chances.

With all the new players we brought in, we're going to be inconsistent and look awful at times. We need patience and time to let things bed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think that's why we went 2 in centre midfield. It allowed us to get one more body forward and we played well with that system, despite missing several chances.

With all the new players we brought in, we're going to be inconsistent and look awful at times. We need patience and time to let things bed in.
    The midfield is made for two of Adams, Ralls, Wintle, Rimo to hold and a number 10 with some energy to play infront of them. Sadly Sawyers just doesn’t have it. I’m not even sure Colwill has the energy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    The midfield is made for two of Adams, Ralls, Wintle, Rimo to hold and a number 10 with some energy to play infront of them. Sadly Sawyers just doesn’t have it. I’m not even sure Colwill has the energy.
    Rinomhota has been disappointing recently, and Sawyers especially so, of all the players we brought in other than Robinson they had the best pedigree at this level .

Surely creativity is more important than energy for a 10?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    depends how you are trying to play.

if your forward players can win the ball in dangerous areas then you don't need to be nearly so creative to fashion a shooting opportunity as the defence will not be set.

Settling down after this win ......

And what a win !

Did anyone fancy our chances up there ?

I thought we were going to get leathered

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    depends how you are trying to play.

if your forward players can win the ball in dangerous areas then you don't need to be nearly so creative to fashion a shooting opportunity as the defence will not be set.
    In theory that works, but we've shown this season how difficult a trio of functional midfielders find it to create chances even if the ball is won high up the pitch

I'd completely forgotten about Adams.
    Let's hope he can bring a bit of drive and dynamism to the midfield.

That cross-field ball that he let go, which almost came directly to his feet, was frustrating. It showed a complete lack of concentration.

Callum Paterson? That was a uniquely Cardiff City take on the number ten role though. Let’s give Colwill a chance in the role if he ever is available for us again.

The way we play I think they need both. You only have to look at what we look like as a team when Sawyer is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Callum Paterson? That was a uniquely Cardiff City take on the number ten role though. Let’s give Colwill a chance in the role if he ever is available for us again.
    I loved Paterson

Got stuck in

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I loved Paterson

Got stuck in
    But was shit. As was the football. Move on.

Kipre was class. That’s a great result yesterday, on the whole Hudson ain’t doing too bad at all. Two of the losses we had early red cards..

The way we play I think they need both. You only have to look at what we look like as a team when Sawyer is playing.
    Sawyers offers very little of either energy or creativity mind

Sawyers offers very little of either energy or creativity mind
    Well more so than the others I guess.

I’ve been critical on this thread, mainly about the ‘batten down the hatches’ approach with the subs and second half performance but it’s wonderful to be critical after a great away win. Hell of a boost for Hudson learning a bit more about his players while gaining three points. In hindsight a 1-0 win with a, sometimes, backs against wall display is perhaps more beneficial than if we’d cantered into a, deserved, 3-0 by half time with the game petering out in the second half. (I’d certainly have taken 3-0 at half time mind but would have had our other North Eastern trip this season in mind)

That first half display was, at times, thrilling! We moved forward with pace, and with a number of players making runs, it gave the ball carrier options.
    Way better than the static dirge we've been served for quite a number of seasons.