+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grounds visited that no longer exist

Re: Grounds visited that no longer exist

bramall lane must be on its last legs, its old, the concourse area is way past its prime, entry is slow and at time dangerous with the crowds ( its everything a safety officer would hate ) the location would be great for student flats

I know the old owner was trying to sell the ground, but that was stopped and the new owners have got everything back " in house " and owned by the club

history and all that is great, but todays customers like modern grounds and of course they are safer

Leckwith Athletic Stadium.
    National lStadium Cardiff Arms Park.
    Cardiff Ice Rink.

Interesting thread. Not as many as I thought actually.

Old Wembley
    Dean Court (or do we consider that redeveloped?
    Griffin Park
    Ninian Park
    Filbert St
    Manor Ground
    The Dell
    The Vetch
    White Hart Lane
    Nierdersachsen Stadion in Hannover

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    bramall lane must be on its last legs, its old, the concourse area is way past its prime, entry is slow and at time dangerous with the crowds ( its everything a safety officer would hate ) the location would be great for student flats

I know the old owner was trying to sell the ground, but that was stopped and the new owners have got everything back " in house " and owned by the club

history and all that is great, but todays customers like modern grounds and of course they are safer
    Was there recently for the womens Euros. It's in good nick. Two modern stands, and the two-tier away end has been modernised. The large Kop is all seated but I know isn't modern.

Love Brammal Lane actually, or 'Beautiful Downtown Brammall Lane' BDTBL as I believe half of that city call it..

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Eton Park… any guesses who played there? Clue they were a non league team when I visited
    Was that where we played Slough Town in the cup? One of the few outings for the Barcelona style blue and red striped kit?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Dunno about the reserves, but the Welsh League side played there an awful lot - if the first team were at home, the matches would often kick off at lunchtime, so I'd sometimes catch a bus to Thompson's Park, watch some of the Welsh League game and then wander down to Ninian Park to get there just in time for kick off.
    Yep, you’re right, the Combination side wouldn’t have played there.

Took my family to the women's euros semi match here and the seats in the home end were diabolical. Really badly cramped and pillars in the way. The away end is pretty good though.
    Next night were were at mk dons ground which was a palace in comparison

If you’re driving out of Canton into Llandaff along that road, theentrance was on the left about a hundred or more yards from the lights at Penhill - it backed onto Thompson’s Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Where the “newer houses” are.The turning after Greenfield Avenue. Used to sneak in via the muddy slopes of Thompsons Park, to watch City’s youngsters get kicked up in the air by teams from the Valleys, in the Welsh League.. Great days, and a good grounding for any aspiring footballer.

Seamer Road, Scarborough.
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It’s now a housing estate, Cae Syr Daffyd. Turn left at Penhill traffic lights (coming from Cathedral Rd) and it’s a few yards down the hill on the right hand side. Cardiff Corries old ground. Our old chairman, Fred Dewey lent them the money to acquire the ground but they defaulted on the loan and were evicted in the late 60s. I’m sure the City reserves or Welsh League sides played there now and again (as well as Coronation Park, now Grange Albion’s ground on Sloper Rd) before it eventually fell to development.
    Thanks all. I was looking at an old map trying to find it, I'll go and have another look now.

I didn't go to any of our games at Enfield in the FA Cup, but would have thought that there were a few on here who did.

If you’re driving out of Canton into Llandaff along that road, theentrance was on the left about a hundred or more yards from the lights at Penhill - it backed onto Thompson’s Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Where the “newer houses” are.The turning after Greenfield Avenue. Used to sneak in via the muddy slopes of Thompsons Park, to watch City’s youngsters get kicked up in the air by teams from the Valleys, in the Welsh League.. Great days, and a good grounding for any aspiring footballer.

Seamer Road, Scarborough.
    It’s now a housing estate, Cae Syr Daffyd. Turn left at Penhill traffic lights (coming from Cathedral Rd) and it’s a few yards down the hill on the right hand side. Cardiff Corries old ground. Our old chairman, Fred Dewey lent them the money to acquire the ground but they defaulted on the loan and were evicted in the late 60s. I’m sure the City reserves or Welsh League sides played there now and again (as well as Coronation Park, now Grange Albion’s ground on Sloper Rd) before it eventually fell to development.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Thanks all. I was looking at an old map trying to find it, I'll go and have another look now.
    Where the road number is?
    Screenshot_20221104-112455~2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Interesting thread. Not as many as I thought actually.

Old Wembley
    Dean Court (or do we consider that redeveloped?
    Griffin Park
    Ninian Park
    Filbert St
    Manor Ground
    The Dell
    The Vetch
    White Hart Lane
    Nierdersachsen Stadion in Hannover
    Gladbach's old ground.

The first game I saw there was Gladbach v Bayern Munich in 1976 - and most of the German national side seemed to be on the pitch that day , including Gerd Mueller, Franz Beckenbauer, Gunther Netzer, Bertie Vogts, Uli Stielike, Rainer Bonhof, Karl-Heinz Rumenigge and Sepp Maier, if I remember rightly.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Where the road number is?
    Screenshot_20221104-112455~2.jpg
    Can’t see that I’m afraid, too small.

If you drive out of town along Cathedral Road, go past the Halfway on your left and then turn left at the next set of lights, Corinthian Park would have then been on the right hand side about fifty yards down the road and the entrance would be where there’s now a small road just before the next set of lights.

I remember the ginger twosome playing there often: Derek Showers and Jimmy McInch.

Can’t see that I’m afraid, too small.

If you drive out of town along Cathedral Road, go past the Halfway on your left and then turn left at the next set of lights, Corinthian Park would have then been on the right hand side about fifty yards down the road and the entrance would be where there’s now a small road just before the next set of lights.
    That's it thanks. I've been passed there very many times but never knew there used to be a football ground there.

I didn't go to any of our games at Enfield in the FA Cup, but would have thought that there were a few on here who did.
    I did! With my Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Leckwith Athletic Stadium.
    National lStadium Cardiff Arms Park.
    Cardiff Ice Rink.
    When did they play football down the ice rink ? Must have missed those games.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Was there recently for the womens Euros. It's in good nick. Two modern stands, and the two-tier away end has been modernised. The large Kop is all seated but I know isn't modern.

Love Brammal Lane actually, or 'Beautiful Downtown Brammall Lane' BDTBL as I believe half of that city call it..
    I went to the semi-final game

its the concourse and entry / exit points, they now make a modern stadium, todays new football fan doesn't want to be herded into a small area to get in, getting out was even worse

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Took my family to the women's euros semi match here and the seats in the home end were diabolical. Really badly cramped and pillars in the way. The away end is pretty good though.
    Next night were were at mk dons ground which was a palace in comparison
    I went to the same game, we had pretty decent seats on the 1/2 way one, it was just the concourse area, 1 little booth that couldnt cope, then getting in and out, we are spoilt with todays modern stadiums, and I never thought I would ever say that, I used to love old grounds

I went to the semi-final game

its the concourse and entry / exit points, they now make a modern stadium, todays new football fan doesn't want to be herded into a small area to get in, getting out was even worse

I went to the same game, we had pretty decent seats on the 1/2 way one, it was just the concourse area, 1 little booth that couldnt cope, then getting in and out, we are spoilt with todays modern stadiums, and I never thought I would ever say that, I used to love old grounds
    I was there too. Fair enough, though that wasn't my experience tbh.

I was in the John Street stand. I guess there was less circulation space in the concourse than a modern ground like the CCS, but it all felt in good nick and not decrepit in any way. Felt more plush than ours in my opinion, which always feels so barren and cold.

Personally I'd swap the CCS for Brammall Lane any day of the week.

I once saw John Charles play at Corinthian Park. Pretty sure it was there.

But, to continue the theme of forgotten grounds - I saw City loose to BHA at the Withdean once, and draw at Underhill. El Park, yep. Sealand Road yes. The old White Hart Lane.

Also done Inter Cardiff, Cwmbran Town and Farrar Road Bangor City. Eastville, Vetch, Maine Road etc .

Bootham crescent I didn't realise York had a new ground till I read through the thread