+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wales official song

Re: Wales official song

Imagine England doing something similar. Mixing in political footage and draped in English flags. We'd hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    National team playing in a competition against other Nations, is too Nationalistic....is that right, did i get it?
    Hahaha yes. We should hide our Welshness as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Imagine England doing something similar. Mixing in political footage and draped in English flags. We'd hate it.
    They do it all the time, and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    They do it all the time, and rightly so.
    You're missing the point but I'm happy to leave it there. I'm already enough of a killjoy.

Playing the victims might get the welsh Liverpool fans onside though and that's a large number of people

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Great render. Love the bit with sunglasses choreography...eye catching!

You should know by now that I'm not a right wing Tory. I don't hate it, I just don't like it. I think the edit with a very nationalistic slant is embarrassing for us tbh and political clips makes us look like the victim which isn't a good look to be going into an international tournament. You didn't like it the other day when I accused the FAW of rebranding Welsh football. I think this is just another part of that process.

I've followed Wales all my life. I've read about Welsh football. I've a huge collection of memorabilia all mentioning Wales. So for me, it's very much a rebrand and it's also hypocritical. In the end, I believe it will prove more divisive than inclusive and I really wish we'd stuck to football and footage of '58 blended in with the players and teams who worked so hard over the decades and came so close at times. There are amazing players who played for Wales who deserved more recognition than clips of the f*cking miner's strike et al

I know there'll be loads who don't like what I'm saying, but I'm still here too and have every right to say what I think.

F*ck the flags, f*ck the anthems F*ck the politics. Praise the football.
    There's a distinct difference between patriotism and nationalism. Sadly, this football team and it's success has been hijacked with the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There's a distinct difference between patriotism and nationalism. Sadly, this football team and it's success has been hijacked with the latter.
    I agree with you there.

I'm not a fan of the political meaning behind it and why the guy sang it but as a song, an anthem it's incredible tbf.

For the video could have left the footage of miners and reservoirs out of it, along with the bangs for the goals, everything else, as an anthem is great particularly as I don't know what the words mean apart from the chorus.

Although I think the team in some dodgy suits, rapping with GLC would have been the natural thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The FAW seem to be happy with it and appear to be stoking the fire

I would have preferred to have seen the players singing Wakka Wakka

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Although I think the team in some dodgy suits, rapping with GLC would have been the natural thing to do
    Now thats a World Cup song

I clicked on it expecting a right pile of sh!t. Brilliant song and video.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I am Welsh and proud of it. Born in Wales, as were my parents and grandparents. That song means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't represent me or my views.
    Put on your Max Boyce live in Treorchy LP on instead then.

https://youtu.be/nDEfaonoQvg

Imagine if one of the competing nations have a world cup song involving the Village People this time around?

We should've done this.

You're missing the point but I'm happy to leave it there. I'm already enough of a killjoy.
    Not a killjoy mate, just an opinion.

I think it's a fantastic ditty and the video , politics and all , is great

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think it's a fantastic ditty and the video , politics and all , is great
    You know that I'm being serious when I say I'm genuinely interested about your and other people's views and opinions. I can't deny it's a rousing song (I can't get it out of my head whenever I hear it) and that there's a huge part of me that gets emotional about the politics and watching the video.

However, there's a part of me that sees it as as a great video as a recruitment vehicle for nationalism and I also worry about the Welsh cliches making us look a backwards country and not a forward thinking one.

For me, in the context of an FAW sanctioned piece of WC promotion, I feel they've missed their brief and question their motives. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Not a killjoy mate, just an opinion.
    This is my best TBG impersonation: "that's very decent of you old fruit"

I am Welsh and proud of it. Born in Wales, as were my parents and grandparents. That song means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't represent me or my views.
    Hang on a sec lads, the song means nothing to this guy- is it too late to call the FA and get it rescinded?

I love the song and it’s intended message. The video reflects the story of the song and it personally echos my own views. That said, I’m a little surprised it’s being used as the World Cup Song given it has already provoked a political debate on here. Perhaps the video could have been apolitical.

You know that I'm being serious when I say I'm genuinely interested about your and other people's views and opinions. I can't deny it's a rousing song (I can't get it out of my head whenever I hear it) and that there's a huge part of me that gets emotional about the politics and watching the video.

However, there's a part of me that sees it as as a great video as a recruitment vehicle for nationalism and I also worry about the Welsh cliches making us look a backwards country and not a forward thinking one.

For me, in the context of an FAW sanctioned piece of WC promotion, I feel they've missed their brief and question their motives. That's all.
    Personally think it’s the complete opposite and a very forward thinking one that will raise awareness of many of them issues to people in Wales as well as further afield. I feel like they’ve nailed it as that always had to be the song after March and June’s games but they’ve gone and taken it a step further when it would’ve been very boring just a plain old release of a song everyone already loves. 10/10 for me

What song would you like? Green green grass?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Im as welsh as they come and proud of it, my both girls ( both in Bath ) are both ferociously Welsh

I was looking forward to a good Welsh World Cup song to celebrate us being part of it ( something lighthearted, like a welsh version of the 3 lions ) , bits of the Video mean something, Bodes pen miss being my main one I spotted, I loved KM with his T-shirt, Bellers goal :Wales: but why include the miners strike and I guess the old black and white grainy footage is from the Tryweryn protests ? ? ? is that Coslett in the video. ? ? not sure what that adds, unless the song talks about them incidents ?? at least then the World Cup is over the " yes cymru " lot can reuse most of the video
    Yma O Hyd is about Wales still being here, with its language and traditions, despite everything that has happened to Wales. Miners strikes, mining, Tryweryn, all things that have hurt Wales big time. There were videos of people being arrested for supporting the Welsh language (I think). Wales has stood up to things that has hurt the country. We're still here.

Some of the people commenting here may as well go and support England in the world cup. I think one commentor on another thread actually threatened to go support England..