+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: CCS Stadium site from years ago

CCS Stadium site from years ago

80's / 90's?

Re: CCS Stadium site from years ago

Cheers for that Mike.
    Great to see the site (City Gardens) before they built my old house on top.

Wish the camera panned slightly to the left to get Ninian Park in shot too.

I’d guess it’s the eighties - I think the houses behind Virgil Streetwere there in the early nineties.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d guess it’s the eighties - I think the houses behind Virgil Streetwere there in the early nineties.
    I'd guess 90's some of the houses opposite the school in Sloper Road, off Bessemer Street, are there. I didn't think there were housed there when I moved to Cardiff in 87.

Ah a tiny look at Ninian Park in the corner. *sheds internal tear.

I didn’t know there was a football pitch next to Cardiff Bus depot.

Is it still there ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I didn’t know there was a football pitch next to Cardiff Bus depot.

Is it still there ?
    Yeah that's coronation park. Still there now. I used to play there for Grange Albion.

I think its late 80's. I have family who live in Carlton Gardens behind Virgil Street, and they lived there as long as i can remember, which is almost all of the nineties.

Going by the registration number on the white Ford Transit on Sloper Road, it’s later than 1987

Glamorgan archives think the photo was taken in the early 90s.

The stand hasn’t been built - or the track laid - at the athletics stadium which opened in August ‘89.

I’d say 1988 or late ‘87. Or maybe earlier if there were delays in the build - there doesn’t look like there’s much work going on.

Looks like the old athletics stadium is near enough the exact same location of CCS

Grangetown station looks a lot closer compared to any time I have to walk to/from it.
    Also is that a second railway track carrying straight on towards the Bay or just a road?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Grangetown station looks a lot closer compared to any time I have to walk to/from it.
    Also is that a second railway track carrying straight on towards the Bay or just a road?
    there was a railway line that used to go to the old warehouses and onto pass the the red house pub at the bottom of ferry rd to the oil storage tanks maybe thats the one you can see

Google maps street view of Sloper Road shows Ninian Park still there, with the CCS being built.

Next home game Ajax, 7:45, Aug 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    isn't that the Penarth/Barry line running parallel to Penarth Road?

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    isn't that the Penarth/Barry line running parallel to Penarth Road?
    The one that curves around and passes by the gas works? Yeah that’s the Barry line.

I can’t work out if the dead straight row of houses has a train line running behind them starting from Grangetown station. poc seems to be correct.

Anyone notice the football pitch markings at Jubilee Park ? Used to be two pitches there- not any more. Canton Rugby Club putting it to better use,these days.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Ah a tiny look at Ninian Park in the corner. *sheds internal tear.
    I still miss NP and all the memories, good and bad.

When visiting as an away fan it was helpful when away coaches were parked on that car park opposite NP. Helpful for me anyway, as numpties went after the away fans heading for the coaches, leaving the coast relatively clear for me to walk back to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanishen Bull View Post
    When visiting as an away fan it was helpful when away coaches were parked on that car park opposite NP. Helpful for me anyway, as numpties went after the away fans heading for the coaches, leaving the coast relatively clear for me to walk back to town.
    Hereford are quite handy , I got smacked in the nose by a Hereford skinhead years ago ( about 15 of them ) 5 of us

Handy? More like mob handed

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Handy? More like mob handed
    Well they always had something at Edgar Street , considering we used to take over the place