+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Re: Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Er .....tory government

Brexit

it's actually a mystery...years of amazing politicians , wonderful decisions, what could go wrong?

What on earth is holding Britain back? No I just can’t think.

Brexit certainly hasn't helped, no matter how those in favour try and spin it. Having a rudderless ship for the best part of this year also hasn't helped. UK plc also need to become more productive, as we don't make as much per capita as other leading nations. The spike in energy and wheat hasn't helped this year, but that will tail off as the orcs are pushed back towards Russia.

Lots of factors, some of which are outside of our control, however there are many contributory factors which are/were under our control and we made the wrong decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Brexit certainly hasn't helped, no matter how those in favour try and spin it. Having a rudderless ship for the best part of this year also hasn't helped. UK plc also need to become more productive, as we don't make as much per capita as other leading nations. The spike in energy and wheat hasn't helped this year, but that will tail off as the orcs are pushed back towards Russia.

Lots of factors, some of which are outside of our control, however there are many contributory factors which are/were under our control and we made the wrong decisions.
    Yep, that just about sums it up.

Former bank of England policy maker says brexit is to blame.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...-says-25516596

I know were only 5th out of 172 countries , we are much smaller than most bathplugs so were like Wales in the Footy punching above our weight for our size , we may not get champions league slot now ..

What a disaster of a country being 5th , after it has been run mainly by a Tory bloody governments for most of our lifetimes

There are too many Lardy & Cyril types living here, and it's only going to get worse .. a lot worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    There are too many Lardy & Cyril types living here, and it's only going to get worse .. a lot worse!
    Yes baby boomers , wealth /health /education delivered by the Tories , for the boomers who want more booming ..

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I know were only 5th out of 172 countries , we are much smaller than most bathplugs so were like Wales in the Footy punching above our weight for our size , we may not get champions league slot now ..

What a disaster of a country being 5th , after it has been run mainly by a Tory bloody governments for most of our lifetimes
    GDP means nothing is wealth inequality is sky rocketing. Do you honestly believe we have the 5th highest standard of living in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    GDP means nothing is wealth inequality is sky rocketing. Do you honestly believe we have the 5th highest standard of living in the world?
    Various Quality of Life measurements have us much lower than 5th.

20th here.
    https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-li...by_country.jsp

The UN has us ranked 18th
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

28th here. Although this one includes some micro nations so they skew the results a bit.
    https://www.worlddata.info/quality-o...rity=10#ranges

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It is a great reset and build back better, but not the one everybody thinks it is. Dishi is working for you know who, and he's barely gotten started!

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post

WAAAT.jpg

In my humble view we give away too much money , we pander to protests and give in too media pressure to fund this and that , we don't target the needy well enough this universal for all stuff is crap .

I know of a fella who is in work on 40k , over 65 , being paid works and state pension , , free travel, prescriptions , as he ages beginning to greatly pull on the NHS .

I would mean test the lot of folk ..

In my humble view we give away too much money , we pander to protests and give in too media pressure to fund this and that , we don't target the needy well enough this universal for all stuff is crap .

I know of a fella who is in work on 40k , over 65 , being paid works and state pension , , free travel, prescriptions , as he ages beginning to greatly pull on the NHS .

You know an incredible number of people who are taking advantage of the system in some way

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You know an incredible number of people who are taking advantage of the system in some way
    I do quite a big socially active person , big family with mixed fortunes , like most folk you move through life come across , many have different views and situations , all of which have a personally story to tell down the local pub , down the City , work mates on just above basic wage , of course some do struggle on occasions all got cars , tv / mobile subscriptions and enjoy a night out.

Quite a number of my immediate family have been for some time on benefits well decades really , as are two families people in my street there is no real sign or feedback of abject poverty, the support my neighbours get is extraordinary and welcome .. If my kids need help they shout and I do what I can as I strongly believe in looking after your immediate family and friends first ..

My overall view is we could do better , but are generous than most than a lot of countries , very inclusive , however when times are hard and we have to live in our means and make shit decisions .

I do quite a big socially active person , big family with mixed fortunes , like most folk you move through life come across , many have different views and situations , all of which have a personally story to tell down the local pub , down the City , work mates on just above basic wage , of course some do struggle on occasions all got cars , tv / mobile subscriptions and enjoy a night out.

Quite a number of my immediate family have been for some time on benefits well decades really , as are two families people in my street there is no real sign or feedback of abject poverty, the support my neighbours get is extraordinary and welcome .. If my kids need help they shout and I do what I can as I strongly believe in looking after your immediate family and friends first ..

My overall view is we could do better , but are generous than most than a lot of countries , very inclusive , however when times are hard and we have to live in our means and make shit decisions .
    You sound like you'd enjoy a good w**k if everyone was starving to death. Except the hobnobs of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    You sound like you'd enjoy a good w**k if everyone was starving to death. Except the hobnobs of course.
    Don't bring the biscuits into this !!!!

By my calculations, the State Pension equates to less than half the minimum wage per annum - and anyone who is 65 is likely to have paid enough into the system to be entitled to the subsequent benefit regardless of whether they choose to continue working (and which is a necessity for some people if they want to avoid claiming benefits if the State Pension is their sole source of income).
    A member of my family is still working at the age of 70 as the State Pension leaves very little to live on once his rent is paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    We are still living in the good times, so enjoy them while you can.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    By my calculations, the State Pension equates to less than half the minimum wage per annum - and anyone who is 65 is likely to have paid enough into the system to be entitled to the subsequent benefit regardless of whether they choose to continue working (and which is a necessity for some people if they want to avoid claiming benefits if the State Pension is their sole source of income).
    A member of my family is still working at the age of 70 as the State Pension leaves very little to live on once his rent is paid.
    Let me start by stating that the UK state pension is a bit of a joke (worst in Europe I think) and I'm for increasing it to make life sustainable post retirement.

However, the vast majority of people who have 'paid into the system' have not contributed anything nearly as much as what they have received during their lifetime even before retirement. The last time (probably 5+ years ago) I looked at this if you were a single male of around 30 years you had to earn something like GBP27k to just about cover what you got back off the state in various services (health, education, infrastructure, defense etc) in a year. That's based upon what you would pay in taxes balanced against the value of the services. Another myth is NICs go into some hypothecated account. I'm afriad they don't, they are pretty much just part of general taxation with a different label.

You might ask why this is all true and the answer is it's a consequence of what is an increasingly unequal society where even hard-working people cannot, in the full accounting of things, effectively live sustainably.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Let me start by stating that the UK state pension is a bit of a joke (worst in Europe I think) and I'm for increasing it to make life sustainable post retirement.

However, the vast majority of people who have 'paid into the system' have not contributed anything nearly as much as what they have received during their lifetime even before retirement. The last time (probably 5+ years ago) I looked at this if you were a single male of around 30 years you had to earn something like GBP27k to just about cover what you got back off the state in various services (health, education, infrastructure, defense etc) in a year. That's based upon what you would pay in taxes balanced against the value of the services. Another myth is NICs go into some hypothecated account. I'm afriad they don't, they are pretty much just part of general taxation with a different label.

You might ask why this is all true and the answer is it's a consequence of what is an increasingly unequal society where even hard-working people cannot, in the full accounting of things, effectively live sustainably.
    NI contributions and State Pensions ceased to have any financial connection for 100 years..