+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are Cardiff City so crap at home?

Re: Why are Cardiff City so crap at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Re: why City have such a poor recent record at home, I suggest two reasons.
    In both promotion seasons, City were set up to have a sound defence. The logic is obvious - don't concede gives you a fighting chance of winning. Compare those defences to the current mob - actually don't do that - it's enough to make a fan weep.
    Secondly, winning a game usually means a team is set up to press and attack. This has an important side effect of getting the fans onside. Again, City have been woefully lacking in this respect.
    An ideal scenario might be to have a strong defence, a dominating defensive midfielder, two mobile and constructive midfielders, at least one effective winger and one/two strikers who can find the back of the net.
    Talk like that will get you a managerial role at the club. Hudson on gardening leave, would you trust him on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Talk like that will get you a managerial role at the club. Hudson on gardening leave, would you trust him on yours?

Reading the exchanges between you and another poster, constantly reminds me of folk who say that ex-players who understand the game should be referees (if only they could run....)

Wonder what Vincent Tan’s disagreement with Steve Morison was about?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-25469143

I don't have the answer overall, but this season it's relatively simple - we don't score often enough when the chances come our way. Signing Robinson might have helped another club in similar situation, but when you have virtually every outfield player incapable of shooting with real threat from a distance or snapping up an easy chance, you've got a bigger problem than one that can be solved bt signing a new 'striker'. Maybe with two recognized goalscorers up front we'll pick up a few more points, but we're always going to be short of goals when the rest of the team doesn't chip in with their share...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

That read like a spot of interfering to me.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    We have sent a good lad from the shop floor on an advanced first aid course and then called him a doctor.

Harris was supposed to be our transition manager from the Warnock direct era, he was neither Warnock or Pep
    Mick was an admission of that failure by getting a dinosaur to emulate Warnock although Warnock systems were light years ahead of Micks
    Morison sold the hierarchy that he could change a culture without much cash, he couldn't we were going down. Why would you let someone, not from the footballing culture you want to become be in charge of your transition ? If we were to be a Gegenpress outfit, go into Bunderliga 2 or and get someone who has immersed themselves in every variant of that game. If its Pep ball go into La liga 2 or lower and find someone. We went for a Bruiser from Millwall

Championship football is simple. Defenders defend, our left back hasn't a clue and we are under sized in the centre halfs
    Midfeilders try to win the ball back and pass it to our skilled players, we are OK to good at this.
    Forwards should be your most skilled flair players and are traditionally a bit shy in the workload depart, ours are all workers devoid of any flair or raw pace. (Penny did drop with Philogene recently)

We have no set play game as we don't have the guile or the beef to impose ourselves on them.

This is not a plastic Jonny come Lately crowd, they know a dud when they see one, so are subdued and hence the atmosphere.

We need a 9, CR is not the main man he is a wide forward/ second striker or 10. He is by far our best forward.
    Yeah, excellent post.

I'm enjoying this thread. Best football thread we've had in ages. Great argument and counter argument and some no-nonsense analyses.

I've got a few questions and a couple of observations from yesterday about things I don't fully understand.

The first and main point is why did Sheffield United only beat us 0-1? They should have and could have toyed with us, but didn't. In the first half, we looked like the better team but at the same time we looked crap. In the second half (which for me was so boring and ponderous) Sheffield looked the better side but were still crap and let's be honest scored from a mistake. A point would have been very flattering to us (but not undeserved) and a disaster to United.

Why, if we're so crap (and I think we are and can't stand watching us tbh because I think we're a rag-tag outfit)?

Just on observation as well. When Harris was being subbed for Colwill he trudged off the park like we were a goal up and parking the bus for the final 15-20 mins against a better outfit. Except we were 0-0 at this point and I turned to a mate at the time and said, "we're not going for a win then are we?".

Shortly afterwards, they scored and surprise surprise, when we made substitutions, the were off and on like whippets out of a trap. That's at home. That's what we've become.

As many have said, there isn't anyone on the park I go down to see. I think when Isaak Davies was playing was the last time I was looking forward to going down The City. I also have to be honest and say I can't stand watching Colwill anymore.

Just some thoughts and observations really but we have managed not to be stuffed against better sides at home and I wonder why that is when we clearly deserve to be in my view (or as yesterday, should have been by the top of the table side). Are we close to being a decent side or is this just an anomaly and random?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Yeah, excellent post.

I've got a few questions and a couple of observations from yesterday about things I don't fully understand.

The first and main point is why did Sheffield United only beat us 0-1? They should have and could have toyed with us, but didn't. In the first half, we looked like the better team but at the same time we looked crap. In the second half (which for me was so boring and ponderous) Sheffield looked the better side but were still crap.

As many have said, there isn't anyone on the park I go down to see.
    United had a stack of injured players out - and 50-y-o Billy up front. They started rather tentatively and by half-time, realised City was there for the taking. It was all downhill from then.

As for going to see specific players at CCS - I don't.

Think I saw youse in one of the close-ups of the benches, btw. The years have not been kind!

He wasn’t a yes man who would kiss Vinnys shoes.

The clue is here "Tan felt Morison was way too negative with his team selections and tactics and wants a different approach under Hudson. I've told Mark I have certain expectations," he goes on. "I want him to play more aggressive, attacking football. We need to score goals if we're to climb that table."

P'raps Tan should be given some credit for investing in the red elephant in the expectation of Premiership football.

United had a stack of injured players out - and 50-y-o Billy up front. They started rather tentatively and by half-time, realised City was there for the taking. It was all downhill from then.

As for going to see specific players at CCS - I don't.

Think I saw youse in one of the close-ups of the benches, btw. The years have not been kind!
    Good point about Billy Sharp and Ollie didn't play. Sharp wasn't a happy bunny with the way United played from the off. Grumpy sod with his own players but looks like a proper old school footballer with a name to boot (see what I did there).

As far as the close up is concerned, the camera puts on at least 10 stone we all know this (you cheeky b&gger!)
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 13-11-22 at 16:53. Reason: Typed slowly so Cyclops could understand!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    As far as the close up is concerned, the camera puts on at least 10 stone we all know this (you cheeky b&gger!)
    Here are my thoughts
    Last edited by Cyclops; 13-11-22 at 17:12. Reason: Deleted as it was far too complicated for CN to comprehend

Championship football is indeed a simple game which is why warnock or a manager like him and players of that ilk are what succeeds , in the absence of cash to splash

We need bodies in defence and the middle

We don't need another centre forward

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Championship football is indeed a simple game which is why warnock or a manager like him and players of that ilk are what succeeds , in the absence of cash to splash

We need bodies in defence and the middle

We don't need another centre forward
    McCarthy tried that one. Anyone remember the result of his last 8 games with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    McCarthy tried that one. Anyone remember the result of his last 8 games with us?
    McCarthy wasn't fit to lick warnocks boots

You can go on bleating about passing football till you are red in the face but CCFC is sinking and we need a direct approach of percentages , balls into the box , goals and tight defending

That might not entertain you but quite frankly that's not what this season is about

We are in a relegation battle

You can go on bleating about passing football till you are red in the face but CCFC is sinking and we need a direct approach of percentages , balls into the box , goals and tight defending

That might not entertain you but quite frankly that's not what this season is about

Come on then Sludge, give us your team from the current squad that will win games playing in the manner you describe.

It's not a case of one or the other. These players couldn't play long ball, they haven't been set up that way or recruited to do it. Things would be even worse if we went down that road. And lets be honest here sludge, you see a passing style as decadence, for some reason you hate it.

'Tis good to be consistent: https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...hlight=warnock

Come on then Sludge, give us your team from the current squad that will win games playing in the manner you describe.
    There is a certain amount of truth in what Sludge says. We have to be more aggressive all over the pitch and by and large we are not set up to that. We would never have scored the goal Sheffield's full back did yesterday.
    We clearly need a new left back , more height in defence and a big centre forward. The rest of the team is okish and may respond with these new players.

He still wasn't in warnocks league

He did a very good job for us till he lost the plot and then the fans who wernt slagging him off when we were winning started slagging him off and telling us ......I said way back blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's not a case of one or the other. These players couldn't play long ball, they haven't been set up that way or recruited to do it. Things would be even worse if we went down that road. And lets be honest here sludge, you see a passing style as decadence, for some reason you hate it.
    I know that if any manager of any repute was managing this football club He would come in and say .....right let's get organised and dusciplined

We are not getting anything at the moment

As indicated we need to get organised with what we have then clear the decks in the new year

You don't play your way out of trouble

Ground is too big for us - has a wales at the mil stad feel

Away fans completely away from home fans - kills any atmosphere

The drum is dreadful and the same barmy army song every time and that’s about it

A lot of kids - songs like “we’ve scored a goal” after going 1-0 up against Rotherham a bit embarrassing and god knows what the players think

Issues on the pitch as well but the off the pitch experience doesn’t help, it’s like a morgue down there the last few seasons

I know that if any manager of any repute was managing this football club He would come in and say .....right let's get organised and dusciplined

We are not getting anything at the moment
    Yes, and in my previous posts i've alluded to that.

As indicated we need to get organised with what we have then clear the decks in the new year

You don't play your way out of trouble
    You seem to think that being able to play some sort of passing football is at the expense of being strong at the back, organised and having some bite in midfield. It's not.

The reason we're in a relegation battle isn't because of the style of football we play, it's because we haven't got enough good players in our squad.

We don't have any leaders on the pitch, but again, that makes no difference to whatever style of football is being played.

Getting stuck in if you've got little talent would make no difference. We're down towards the bottom because we don't score enough, because we haven't got enough talent up front.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Ground is too big for us - has a wales at the mil stad feel

Away fans completely away from home fans - kills any atmosphere

The drum is dreadful and the same barmy army song every time and that’s about it

A lot of kids - songs like “we’ve scored a goal” after going 1-0 up against Rotherham a bit embarrassing and god knows what the players think

Issues on the pitch as well but the off the pitch experience doesn’t help, it’s like a morgue down there the last few seasons
    Ground is far too big for us

25000 would have been fine