+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Carew.

John Carew.

Sentenced to fourteen months in jail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63648642

Re: John Carew.

The fine seems to be very low given the scale of assets and income that he failed to pay tax on.

The court has concluded that he acted with gross negligence, but not with intent," his lawyer Berit Reiss-Andersen said in a statement.

I rather think that was true i this case...seems a bit excessive....BUT surely he had tax advisors??? Even I know that worldwide income has to be declared where one is tax resident.

Sounds like intent to me.
    He clearly knew he had to pay tax in Norway if he was there for more than half the year.
    He was, for each of those 5 years.
    Then tries to blame an old agent

Maybe I'm being harsh and cynical, but if he hasn't paid tax elsewhere, and knew about the 6 month residency rule, which it sounds like he did, then I'd say he was chancing his luck.

that 46k fine is going to sting

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Sounds like intent to me.
    He clearly knew he had to pay tax in Norway if he was there for more than half the year.
    He was, for each of those 5 years.
    Then tries to blame an old agent

Maybe I'm being harsh and cynical, but if he hasn't paid tax elsewhere, and knew about the 6 month residency rule, which it sounds like he did, then I'd say he was chancing his luck.
    I wonder if there are ways around it like when people had 3rd party ownership of players, and lease back, paid in image rights though a offshore company etc

I’m sure many businessmen get around it - look at non-dom tax issues here

I’m not a tax expert by any means so probably talking ****