+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club getting desperate about Whitt's testimonial ticket sales?

Club getting desperate about Whitt's testimonial ticket sales?

About 4000 home tickets sold so far

CCSC just released this statement today:

Cardiff City Supporters Club declare their support for PW7's Memorial Match.
    The Supporters Club Committee has agreed to purchase a match ticket for each of its members with the intention of getting as many people to attend the game as possible. We appreciate that some supporters may have already purchased tickets, however this gesture is not intended to replace those tickets, but we would encourage members to use the extra ticket by inviting a family member or friend. Therefore, we are asking members not to request refunds for tickets already purchased.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...kQosHQrzhff3Q8

The club have ****ed up big time on this. I hope at least every player, coach and member of staff from the first team to the U15's have been given tickets for this. That'll at least boost the attendance by a few hundred.

Re: Club getting desperate about Whitt's testimonial ticket sales?

Terrible mistake to have it during the World Cup, it’s going to be so insulting to one of our greats. Who decided the timing of it? Sums up the absolute ineptitude of our club.

Worst possible time to do it, winter, and bang in the middle of a world cup.
    They'd have been better off waiting another 6 or 7 months and giving more opportunity for fund-raising etc.
    Clueless this is really.

So many things wrong with it.

Midweek instead of a weekend
    During the winter and not the summer
    Middle of the season
    A game between players that never played with him

Everyone said it at the time how many things were wrong with it.

I’m not surprised at the numbers sold but it looks poor on the club and poorer on the fans.

Was this date and setup because of

A) They thought this was the best date and way of doing it

B) they thought people would just turn up and a good time for cash flow

C) something else/ they just didn’t think.

I couldn't believe it when they said it wouldn't be a game with Whittinghams ex team mates. Nobody wants to see a friendly between cardiff players and aston villa.

I'm going but they've really made a pigs ear of this.

Postpone it now, it’s the only sensible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Yep , postpone it

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Push it back to the Saturday or Sunday as a minimum. It's still over 2 weeks away, I'm sure that's enough time for the necessary arrangements to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Push it back to the Saturday or Sunday as a minimum. It's still over 2 weeks away, I'm sure that's enough time for the necessary arrangements to be made.
    don't think the villa contingent would be happy to postpone at short notice

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    don't think the villa contingent would be happy to postpone at short notice
    Just call it a friendly then between the two clubs and have the proper testimonial game involving ex team mates at another appropriate time.

Genuinely don’t think they could’ve picked a worse time unless they stuck it on Christmas Day

Day after Wales v England will have a knock on effect as well as everything else already mentioned. It’s a shame

Wednesday evening is also EastEnders followed by Coronation Street for many of the posters on here

I know initially it was a friendly basically between city and villa but I then saw something that said ex players were involved.

I'm now questioning myself and whether I dreamt it, even told a couple of people.

This is why the club shouldn’t be left to organise anything on it own. The fans could nominate a normal league game as a Peter Whittingham day. For example deck out the opening game of next season with flags and songs about Peter and ask the club to back it.

My boys school in Caerphilly are offering free adult and child ticket for every pupil.

I’d have gone but I’m in Qatar. Absolute shame as I don’t think any player over the last 20 years, was as universally adored by City fans as Whitts was.

Not at all surprised sadly, poorly thought out by the club.

Sadly, I think it's a case of what can go wrong with 'fan power' and fan consultation. I seem to remember the idea came from supporters groups which, while being an admirable gesture of goodwill and appreciation, was never going to capture the imagination of the majority of our supporters, including myself. Two and a half years after his death, I think it's become less relevant. Sad, but true.

Agree with the concensus.

As soon as the date was mentioned it made absolutely no sense.

The attendance will bear no reflection on how much Whitts was loved.

Another own goal by the club.

The best time for a testimonial is the final pre season game of the Summer.

We usually do a final home before the season starts and always well attended, people starved of football, kids on summer holidays, nice weather.

The Supporters Club Committee has agreed to purchase a match ticket for each of its members with the intention of getting as many people to attend the game as possible. We appreciate that some supporters may have already purchased tickets, however this gesture is not intended to replace those tickets, but we would encourage members to use the extra ticket by inviting a family member or friend. Therefore, we are asking members not to request refunds for tickets already purchased.

The club have ****ed up big time on this. I hope at least every player, coach and member of staff from the first team to the U15's have been given tickets for this. That'll at least boost the attendance by a few hundred.
    Where are you getting your info on the number of tickets sold from ? I was told at the last home game that tickets were selling well. Instead of continually criticising what the club are doing on this, in conjunction with Whittinghams family by the way, why not actually get behind it and encourage people to go. If they held it in the summer, no doubt people would moan they were away on holiday. It is an ideal time to hold it as there is no other live home football to compete. People often moan that testimonials are a waste of time because they are not competitive - well this is a competitive pre restart of season game which also happens to be in memory of a great City player. How about just supporting the cause and paying respects to the player. If people don't go that is down to them and obviously because they didn't and don't give a fig as to what Whittingham did here or what happened to him - pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    The best time for a testimonial is the final pre season game of the Summer.

We usually do a final home before the season starts and always well attended, people starved of football, kids on summer holidays, nice weather.
    Spot on. Postpone it until next Summer.

To suggest that a midweek game on a cold, wet November evening is the "ideal time" for this game is as absurd as anything DML has ever come out with and theres been a few whoppers.

From what ive read on forums and social media people are buying tickets to support the cause but are unable to attend. People who are travelling to Qatar or warmer climates to watch the finals for example, or people who dont live close to Cardiff and cant get down for a Tuesday night fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Where are you getting your info on the number of tickets sold from ? I was told at the last home game that tickets were selling well. Instead of continually criticising what the club are doing on this, in conjunction with Whittinghams family by the way, why not actually get behind it and encourage people to go. If they held it in the summer, no doubt people would moan they were away on holiday. It is an ideal time to hold it as there is no other live home football to compete. People often moan that testimonials are a waste of time because they are not competitive - well this is a competitive pre restart of season game which also happens to be in memory of a great City player. How about just supporting the cause and paying respects to the player. If people don't go that is down to them and obviously because they didn't and don't give a fig as to what Whittingham did here or what happened to him - pure and simple.
    How can we go when we’re not in the country? I’ve bought a ticket but I want to go and pay my respects, it’s akin to a funeral, you can send flowers, put a few bob into a charity of the family’s choice but if you’re away you won’t get another chance to pay your respects. Your absolute tiresome arse licking of the club and it’s actions are extremely tedious. It’s an bloody ridiculous time to hold this game, a game that pays tribute to one of our greatest servants, There’s something seriously wrong with you if you can’t see this and I suggest you seek help.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Look at the stadium map when buying tickets. 6 blocks open, 2 in the Canton, 4 in the Ninian. None are sold out, they’re roughly 70% full.

Saying this is the ideal time to hold it is absolutely nonsense and I don’t think you even believe that. How many City fans are off to Qatar or Europe for the World Cup? There’s plenty I know and there’s no shortage of people on this board. The same happened with Super Kev’s testimonial where it was played the same weekend Wales were in Ireland and thousands of fans (myself included) were in Dublin.

Even if it absolutely had to be held during the World Cup break, why do it on a Wednesday night? 3 days earlier or later and on a weekend is hardly going to be an issue. Night games always get smaller crowds so why would the club expect anything different for this.

It’s not a small crowd because people “don’t give a fig” about Whitts, but because so many people simply can’t make it.

I think the club is bashed unfairly harshly by some, but there is nothing I can defend with this. It’s a rubbish decision and was clearly rushed and was given very little thought.