Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
Where are you getting your info on the number of tickets sold from ? I was told at the last home game that tickets were selling well. Instead of continually criticising what the club are doing on this, in conjunction with Whittinghams family by the way, why not actually get behind it and encourage people to go. If they held it in the summer, no doubt people would moan they were away on holiday. It is an ideal time to hold it as there is no other live home football to compete. People often moan that testimonials are a waste of time because they are not competitive - well this is a competitive pre restart of season game which also happens to be in memory of a great City player. How about just supporting the cause and paying respects to the player. If people don't go that is down to them and obviously because they didn't and don't give a fig as to what Whittingham did here or what happened to him - pure and simple.
Look at the stadium map when buying tickets. 6 blocks open, 2 in the Canton, 4 in the Ninian. None are sold out, they’re roughly 70% full.

Saying this is the ideal time to hold it is absolutely nonsense and I don’t think you even believe that. How many City fans are off to Qatar or Europe for the World Cup? There’s plenty I know and there’s no shortage of people on this board. The same happened with Super Kev’s testimonial where it was played the same weekend Wales were in Ireland and thousands of fans (myself included) were in Dublin.

Even if it absolutely had to be held during the World Cup break, why do it on a Wednesday night? 3 days earlier or later and on a weekend is hardly going to be an issue. Night games always get smaller crowds so why would the club expect anything different for this.

It’s not a small crowd because people “don’t give a fig” about Whitts, but because so many people simply can’t make it.

I think the club is bashed unfairly harshly by some, but there is nothing I can defend with this. It’s a rubbish decision and was clearly rushed and was given very little thought.