+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching the WC in Cardiff.

Watching the WC in Cardiff.

Where’s everyone headed tomorrow night? I’m thinking the Walkabout maybe.

Re: Watching the WC in Cardiff.

I’m going to Stopperton.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I’ll be watching at home with a mate. I just can’t concentrate fully on a match when watching in the pub, no matter how hard I try. I imagine Elevens (Bale’s bar) will have been booked out long ago. At least the local pubs and bars that survive will get a boost to their bar takings thanks to our qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    I’ll be watching at home with a mate. I just can’t concentrate fully on a match when watching in the pub, no matter how hard I try. I imagine Elevens (Bale’s bar) will have been booked out long ago. At least the local pubs and bars that survive will get a boost to their bar takings thanks to our qualification.
    Same. If a game really means something to me then i need to concentrate. I find it impossible to watch games jn a pub.

We've come down from Nottingham and we've booked Elevens for all three games.

No self-respecting City fan should be going anywhere near the Walkabout.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Can you enlighten me as to why?

Absolutely agree. They have a history of turning away fans in both City and Wales clothing/memorabilia for what now? 2 decades. The thought that they might be allowing Wales fans in to turn a profit is sickening at best.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    We've come down from Nottingham and we've booked Elevens for all three games.
    Enjoy mate.

I know what you mean but you can’t beat the atmosphere (especially if we win) of sharing that experience with other fans. My opinion may well change after a long day in work mind haha

I absolutely agree. To be in the aftermath of a great win with friends and other fans is great. But I find between going to the bar, people turning up, bumping into people you know, queuing in the toilets, going for a smoke (when I smoked) and the general noise in the pub, the game becomes secondary and I come away not having the first clue about who scored, how my team played etc. as I'm too caught up in the social side of matters. Like Tuerto says, if a game means something I really do want to concentrate on it.

Absolutely agree. They have a history of turning away fans in both City and Wales clothing/memorabilia for what now? 2 decades. The thought that they might be allowing Wales fans in to turn a profit is sickening at best.
    Ah that rings a bell to my even horrific memory, ok they can get fcked. I’ll find somewhere else.

I'm not even sure where I would head for. In recent times it's been Bale's Bar or The Queen's Vaults. Town is pretty dreadful for live sports now. Par 59 perhaps? I've not been there and it's probably booked up but offers a little novelty along with the Bale connection.

I'm not even sure where I would head for. In recent times it's been Bale's Bar or The Queen's Vaults. Town is pretty dreadful for live sports now. Par 59 perhaps? I've not been there and it's probably booked up but offers a little novelty along with the Bale connection.
    The Heath is a stones throw from my house so I’ll probably just go there to be honest.

Canton Cross.

Watch it in a local grass roots football club if you have any affiliation to one.

Sure they all would welcome the income.

The Heath is a stones throw from my house so I’ll probably just go there to be honest.
    Gone down the tubes a bit….convenient for me too though. Too many idiots out for Wales games so will stay home for them. Might go pen and wig or woodville for other matches

I didn't know the Woodville was still open. Is there even still a market for live football for the under 30s? Pub culture just seems to have died utterly.

I didn't know the Woodville was still open. Is there even still a market for live football for the under 30s? Pub culture just seems to have died utterly.
    It’s alright in there, right mix of people not just students. Decent beers and alright food. I was quite surprised when I popped in there a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s alright in there, right mix of people not just students. Decent beers and alright food. I was quite surprised when I popped in there a few months ago
    I go there before gigs at the university

I would never go into a pub normally but the Woodville is chilled

I will be watching it at 0800 hours local time here on Waiheke Island, off Auckland.
    My host is a Cardiffian friend, although primarily a rugger bugger. He was most disappointed that I didn't recognised yesterday afternoon's host after a walk we did - although Graham Henry, a real card, didn't mind.

The newly refurbished CANTON is open now, 3 televisions, friendly atmosphere.

Great place to watch the match

Would be interested to know how much was their decision, and how much was police. That end of town was under very restrictive licensing conditions for years. It was only after about 10 years of Philly, square etc being abandoned that the police and council relented and let bars go in again.

Do vaguely remember mind, that it seemed like utd, Liverpool shirts were fine. Cardiff was a no. In which case, totally agree F*ck em

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Would be interested to know how much was their decision, and how much was police. That end of town was under very restrictive licensing conditions for years. It was only after about 10 years of Philly, square etc being abandoned that the police and council relented and let bars go in again.

Do vaguely remember mind, that it seemed like utd, Liverpool shirts were fine. Cardiff was a no. In which case, totally agree F*ck em
    It was their policy, you could walk into the prince of wales etc. fine but Walkabout was an absolute no to City shirts. I remember being turned away because I had a city shirt on when I went there with my now passed elderly dad. Used to really fcuk me off when you'd see the chaos on rugby match days but city fans couldn't go and get a quiet beer and watch a game.