+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those who say bale is past it

Those who say bale is past it

He won us that penalty today, through experience

Re: Those who say bale is past it

Had he come to City, I think it would have been a travesty.
    Maybe it was the right decision after all.
    No man wants to admit he's past his best, but we know when we are.
    He obviously knows he is too.

you play to your strengths and recognise your weaknesses. he is a very experienced and capable player and very glad he wears a red shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    He won us that penalty today, through experience
    Yep did virtually nothing all game until then but he's still a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Had he come to City, I think it would have been a travesty.
    Maybe it was the right decision after all.
    No man wants to admit he's past his best, but we know when we are.
    He obviously knows he is too.
    I’m glad he didn’t come, but just because the expectation would’ve outweighed delivery.

He still delivers in small moments. But he’s worth playing the 90 because he’ll pop up in the moments. And won’t feel the pressure because he’s done it all.

On a seperate point, where he was fouled just as he was about to shoot at the end (their keeper
    Way off his line). How is that not a red? Denial
    Of a clear goal scoring opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I’m glad he didn’t come, but just because the expectation would’ve outweighed delivery.

He still delivers in small moments. But he’s worth playing the 90 because he’ll pop up in the moments. And won’t feel the pressure because he’s done it all.

On a seperate point, where he was fouled just as he was about to shoot at the end (their keeper
    Way off his line). How is that not a red? Denial
    Of a clear goal scoring opportunity
    the ref was pretty clueless tbh

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    The only problem is carrying him when we don't really have enough talent in the squad to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    the ref was pretty clueless tbh
    Not as clueless as the guy who awarded Bale MOTM

I've seen him play better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The only problem is carrying him when we don't really have enough talent in the squad to do so.
    yeah..we should have played ...? or ....? or maybe the in form ...?

He’s not past it. He just hasn’t played enough football in the last few years to dominate games like he used to.

He's certainly well past his best, not sure there's much argument with that, whether even he would make a case.

But, for us he's still our best and most influential player.

He did little of anything and was as bad as James until typical of him he wins and scores the pen.

Must start moore, not sure why Page would ever think we are better without him. Just does a lot of the basics well and even if he can frustrate me at times he has 99% more chance of the ball sticking to him than the other options. Without space James just doesn't do it.

Johnson, Moore and Bale I'd go. Have to put everything we have into the Iran game then probably 11 behind the ball against england.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    He did give the ball away a lot….

James is so frustrating, with his pace,he should beat most full backs but his final pass lets him down. Moore has got to play Friday because a win will probably see us through ,especially if England beat the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    James is so frustrating, with his pace,he should beat most full backs but his final pass lets him down. Moore has got to play Friday because a win will probably see us through ,especially if England beat the Yanks.
    the American fullbacks are both lightning and quality players, he won't be up against fullbacks like that in the remaining group games

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the American fullbacks are both lightning and quality players, he won't be up against fullbacks like that in the remaining group games
    Unless Kyle Walker is fit.

Why do we always knock our best ever (at the time they are) athletes as they get older? We seem as a nation to love bringing them down. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    Why do you think a win Friday will see us through? USA will beat Iran too. Its 50/50 depending on goal difference i think. Hopefully England play a weaker side against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    He’s not past it. He just hasn’t played enough football in the last few years to dominate games like he used to.
    He past it to the wrong player a number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We should have changed tactics early on and probed the central areas, but we got there eventually even if it did take 45 minutes for the penny to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Why do you think a win Friday will see us through? USA will beat Iran too. Its 50/50 depending on goal difference i think. Hopefully England play a weaker side against us.
    Because I’m optimistic.

I think Bale offers that moment of magic. It might be coupled with 89 minutes of very little but in tight games all you need is that one chance and there is no one I would rather it fall to in the team than Bale.

That being said, Iran should not be a game that relies on one moment. I would rest him and save him for the England game.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    I think Bale offers that moment of magic. It might be coupled with 89 minutes of very little but in tight games all you need is that one chance and there is no one I would rather it fall to in the team than Bale.

That being said, Iran should not be a game that relies on one moment. I would rest him and save him for the England game.
    We need all our best attacking players on the pitch against Iran if we want to boost our goal difference, while the game against England will be a damage limitation exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    We need all our best attacking players on the pitch against Iran if we want to boost our goal difference, while the game against England will be a damage limitation exercise.
    I'm not entirely sure Bale is one of our best attacking players if you need 90 minutes of offensive football to get multiple goals.

Think I’d start with Bale on the bench against Iran and bring him on later in the game.

He’s on a yellow card so we don’t want to lose him for the England game.