+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen back in full training.

Re: Allen back in full training.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    We have an obvious weakness which England will be targeting, and a CDM double pivot still allows the full-backs to bomb forward.
    I don't disagree with a 2-man sitting, central midfield. I disagree about sticking full-backs in there though, as does everyone else clearly.

For me it would be Ampadu and Ramsey and even that is risky as Ramsey's not exactly a defensive midfielder per se.
    However, you do have to take some risk in tournaments like this, and Ramsey will work hard for the cause along with spraying balls around for fun in a deeper position.

The likes of Rodon and Mepham need confidence built before the England game so it's a great opportunity for us to do that. Keep a clean sheet against Iran and it will do wonders for them.

PS, I meant Saudi not Iran in my last but one post but couldn't edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I don't disagree with a 2-man sitting, central midfield. I disagree about sticking full-backs in there though, as does everyone else clearly.

For me it would be Ampadu and Ramsey and even that is risky as Ramsey's not exactly a defensive midfielder per se.
    However, you do have to take some risk in tournaments like this, and Ramsey will work hard for the cause along with spraying balls around for fun in a deeper position.

The likes of Rodon and Mepham need confidence built before the England game so it's a great opportunity for us to do that. Keep a clean sheet against Iran and it will do wonders for them.
    Loads of full-back have played in midfield and vice versa. It's actually a hybrid role that I envisage which utilises Davies' defensive abilities, and he is a decent footballer when he is on the ball, which we have seen many times when he goes forward. Ampadu & Davies can also drop into the backline in-game or cover for the fullbacks when required, as they are both versatile players.

Loads of full-back have played in midfield and vice versa. It's actually a hybrid role that I envisage which utilises Davies' defensive abilities, and he is a decent footballer when he is on the ball, which we have seen many times when he goes forward. Ampadu & Davies can also drop into the backline in-game or cover for the fullbacks when required.
    Give it up, nobody is having any of it

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Give it up, nobody is having any of it
    I've noticed that nobody has the ability to think outside of the box, and I hope I don't have to bump this thread next Tuesday

When has Ben Davies ever played midfield? He's our best defender, keep him there! I get its Iran, but I think we'll be silly to underestimate them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    When has Ben Davies ever played midfield? He's our best defender, keep him there! I get its Iran, but I think we'll be silly to underestimate them.
    We're talking about the England game, and he'll be doing exactly the same things, only a few yards further forward to stop our center-backs getting swarmed.

My last word ...
    Ward

Roberts - Mepham - Rodon - Williams

Ampadu - Davies

Bale - Ramey - Johnson

Moore

Team against Iran
    Hennessey/Ward
    Back 4 of Roberts, Rodon, Davies, N. Williams

Middle 3 of Ampadu, Allen, Morrell

Between midfield and the front 2, Ramsey

Front 2 of Moore and James/Johnson

I wouldn’t start Bale, as he’s been booked, so take a bit of pressure off him

To stop their players bursting through unopposed and causing havoc The only way we are going through is if we can restrict England's goal scoring opportunities.
    So to stop England's players bombing forward unopposed, your plan is to remove our best defender from his most comfortable position, thereby weakening the defence, and playing him in a position he has never played before at the professional level? A position which requires a different skillset and will see him in areas of the pitch that he isn't used to being in and having to do things he isn't used to, in what could be one of the most important games of his career. And you want him to do that after, what, 2 days of training in this new position?

Genius.

My last word ...
    Ward

Roberts - Mepham - Rodon - Williams

Ampadu - Davies

Bale - Ramey - Johnson

Moore

swap Rodon for Davis and you might have something

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    So to stop England's players bombing forward unopposed, your plan is to remove our best defender from his most comfortable position, thereby weakening the defence, and playing him in a position he has never played before at the professional level? A position which requires a different skillset and will see him in areas of the pitch that he isn't used to being in and having to do things he isn't used to, in what could be one of the most important games of his career. And you want him to do that after, what, 2 days of training in this new position?

Genius.

I think that sums it up pretty well LOL
    Absolute madness to play Ben Davies anywhere but in defence

Genius.
    Now you know why I wanted to bring Davies into a double defensive pivot with Ampadu. I knew England would exploit this glaring weakness, but I didn't think Iran would do it too.

International

Legs are gone, shame did us proud for years.

After today's game, he should be dropped on a permanent basis. Two mistakes, and two goals conceded as a direct result of his errors. I can't figure out why Page thought it would be a good ida to bring on an unfit Allen in the first place. An awful decision, and sadly, it wasn't the only one.

Now you know why I wanted to bring Davies into a double defensive pivot with Ampadu. I knew England would exploit this glaring weakness, but I didn't think Iran would do it too.

The idea that moving someone into a position they've never played before in such an important match would have stopped us losing is absolutely mad and you know it. Joe Morrell probably should have played alongside Ampadu with one of Wilson or Ramsey ahead of them. I'm quite surprised at Morrell's lack of involvement as he was a mainstay of the side for some time

The idea that moving someone into a position they've never played before in such an important match would have stopped us losing is absolutely mad and you know it. Joe Morrell probably should have played alongside Ampadu with one of Wilson or Ramsey ahead of them. I'm quite surprised at Morrell's lack of involvement as he was a mainstay of the side for some time
    Desperation mate. With our non-existent statuesque high press we need someone with a bit of presence. Any combination of Ampadu/Ramsey/Allan has already failed spectacularly, and now you want to put a 5'2" player there? Pure madness mate. Only Davies next to Ampadu can hold back an England onslaught, and a repeat performance of the previous two games.

Desperation mate. With our non-existent statuesque high press we need someone with a bit of presence. Any combination of Ampadu/Ramsey/Allan has already failed spectacularly, and now you want to put a 5'2" player there? Pure madness mate. Only Davies next to Ampadu can hold back an England onslaught, and a repeat performance of the previous two games.
    Yes, I would like to play an actual midfielder in midfield rather than someone who has never played there before

When did an Allen/Ampadu combination “fail spectacularly”?

Yes, I would like to play an actual midfielder in midfield rather than someone who has never played there before
    Ok, let's go with your system and if we are swamped in midfield again, I'm taking it as proof that you don't know what you are talking about. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When did an Allen/Ampadu combination “fail spectacularly”?
    I think you don't understand the meaning of "any combination of"

Ok, let's go with your system and if we are swamped in midfield again, I'm taking it as proof that you don't know what you are talking about. Good luck!
    Thats easy to say isnt it. England are far too good for us and will murder us in midfield whoever we put out.

Morrell a L1 player or Ben Davies a centre back/left back. Either way it probably wont go well.

Also our best centre half out of position leaving Mepham and Rodon with 1 other in defence against that England attack.

I think you don't understand the meaning of "any combination of"
    Without being disrespectful, but have you ever admitted that you may have got something wrong? i don't mean this thing about Davies playing in midfield, but in general? I have never seen you post anything where you say that you have got it wrong. It's not a nice trait to have. We can all get things wrong and admit it, it makes conversation smoother if we can all show a bit of Humility at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Thats easy to say isnt it.
    It's far too easy to say Davies wouldn't work without trying it! He's actually stepped into the midfield against USA and executed a move that any competent midfielder would be expected to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Without being disrespectful, but have you ever admitted that you may have got something wrong? i don't mean this thing about Davies playing in midfield, but in general? I have never seen you post anything where you say that you have got it wrong. It's not a nice trait to have. We can all get things wrong and admit it, it makes conversation smoother if we can all show a bit of Humility at times.
    If I think if there is a possibility that I could be wrong about something, then I wouldn't go posting about it on a public message board.