+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Wales crap, under-performing or a mixture of both?

Re: Are Wales crap, under-performing or a mixture of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Page can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. With a mix of players from various lower leagues playing against better teams what did we expect?
    Various lower leagues? These are the starting XIs we've put out and the leagues they play in:

Hennessey - Premier League
    Roberts - Championship
    Mepham - Premier League
    Rodon - Ligue 1
    Davies - Premier League
    Williams - Premier League
    Ampadu - Serie A
    Ramsey - Ligue 1
    Wilson - Premier League
    Bale - MLS
    James/Moore - Premier League

Here's Iran by contrast:

Hosseini - Iranian league
    Mohammadi - Greek Superleague
    Pouraliganji - Iranian league
    Hosseini - Turkish Superleague
    Rezaeian - Iranian league
    Hajsafi - Greek Superleague
    Ezatolahi - Danish Superleague
    Nourollahi - Saudi league
    Taremi - Portuguese top flight
    Gholizadeh - Belgian top flight
    Azmoun - Bundesliga

Our squad is solid enough to not get ripped apart by the side above and yet they were, thanks in no small part to Page completely abandoning the midfield for the second consecutive match. There are obviously other factors, but we were wide open through the middle against both the US and Iran

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Various lower leagues? These are the starting XIs we've put out and the leagues they play in:

Hennessey - Premier League
    Roberts - Championship
    Mepham - Premier League
    Rodon - Ligue 1
    Davies - Premier League
    Williams - Premier League
    Ampadu - Serie A
    Ramsey - Ligue 1
    Wilson - Premier League
    Bale - MLS
    James/Moore - Premier League

Here's Iran by contrast:

Hosseini - Iranian league
    Mohammadi - Greek Superleague
    Pouraliganji - Iranian league
    Hosseini - Turkish Superleague
    Rezaeian - Iranian league
    Hajsafi - Greek Superleague
    Ezatolahi - Danish Superleague
    Nourollahi - Saudi league
    Taremi - Portuguese top flight
    Gholizadeh - Belgian top flight
    Azmoun - Bundesliga

Our squad is solid enough to not get ripped apart by the side above and yet they were, thanks in no small part to Page completely abandoning the midfield for the second consecutive match. There are obviously other factors, but we were wide open through the middle against both the US and Iran
    Not all of the Welsh players are regulars for their clubs.

Under performing, I would have been disappointed had a kids team given the ball away as much as we did against Iran, awful.

Underperforming for me Clive.

I think Page will look back on his decision to change the midfield set up with regret. Ampadu has been holding the fort on his own frankly as Ramsey has been so off the pace. As others have said I think the heat (especially the Iran game played at midday) has exposed just how little football Bale and Rambo have had in the last few years. You can crtiscuse Page for persisting with them but im sure the same people wpuld have crucified him if hed left them out and we'd lost.

Long term though I dont share the doom and gloom. There are a lot of good players in this squad under the age of 30 plus David Brooks to come back. Also I genuinely think Colwill will have a big part to play in the coming years. We may struggle to qualify for the next few tournaments but theres zero chance of returning to the bad old days of Gould and Smith when we struggled to beat the minnows.

I think the success of the last 8 years has built a base for football in Wales that we havent seen in decades. Hopefully the amount of engagement and participation will mean that we can keep producing enough talent to keep us competitive and enable us to not have to wait to for 64 years to qualify for another world cup.

I think we're the worst team i've seen there. No effort and poor skills

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    In my view it has been bad managerial decisions from day one. Not helped either by the 2016 tribute acts falling well short. Unfortunately you can't substitute a lack of match fitness.
    Agree with this. In the two games thus far we have been undone because of our own fitness levels and lack of pace in our play because of it. I saw some of our players blowing for tugs in the first half against Iran. Iranian players never missed a beat when it came to pace and energy. To think of ot neither did the yanks.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ampadu was just behind Connor Roberts in absolute shockers v Iran. He played well defensively 2nd half v USA.

Moore has to be our player of the tournament and id rate him about 6/10.

I think the World Rankings can be taken with a pinch of salt there is no way us and Iran are top 20. And I dont think we ever were deserving of our highest ranking

Weve to a great extent been carried by Bale and Ramsey. Bale in particular for a few years was in a group behind Ronaldo and Messi as the best in the World.

With a 26 man squad for the pool of players we have some young players can rightly be pissed off when they see this squad perform so poorly.

Whether they themselves are good enough is another matter but I cant see how they can do worse.

I think we are just a very average side and that average side and those average players needed to be at the top of their game but theyve played badly.

They need a huge performance tomorrow night. Im not expecting a win or draw but lets het some pride back.
    Player left on his own in midfield has a tough game shocker.

I think mostly we are under performing.I wonder whether a better manager would have got more out of the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    I think mostly we are under performing.I wonder whether a better manager would have got more out of the squad.
    N. Williams, Thomas, Colwill, Wilson, James, Harris, Moore, Johnson, Bale, Ramsey, all players better going forward than sideways or backwards, yet we still play negatively

It's been a combination of factors at this world cup. They include unfit and/or underperforming players, the conditions, especially against Iran and rank bad management and team selection.

I see Ampadu has been singled out but he was a one-man midfield against Iran so no wonder he looked poor.

Looking back this World Cup was an opportunity wasted and I may not get another chance to see us perform in the finals again.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    It's been a combination of factors at this world cup. They include unfit and/or underperforming players, the conditions, especially against Iran and rank bad management and team selection.

I see Ampadu has been singled out but he was a one-man midfield against Iran so no wonder he looked poor.

Looking back this World Cup was an opportunity wasted and I may not get another chance to see us perform in the finals again.
    He was absolutely knackered when he got subbed off after running himself into the ground in that heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Page can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. With a mix of players from various lower leagues playing against better teams what did we expect?
    I fully understand this. But apart from the change he made in the second half against the USA, his decision-making has been poor in my opinion.

We froze in the first half v USA but against a very useful side who were laughably underestimated on here in the build up.
    Against Iran it was a combination of the conditions - vastly favouring Iran - our undercooked squad and rank poor play.
    Generally we have punch hugely above our weight in recent times.

Bale and Ramsey still have a role to play in the upcoming Euro 2024 qualifiers, especially in our home games when we have to find a way to unlock defences, I don’t see either retiring from International football just yet

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Bale and Ramsey still have a role to play in the upcoming Euro 2024 qualifiers, especially in our home games when we have to find a way to unlock defences, I don’t see either retiring from International football just yet
    Bale was asked earlier if tomorrow could be his last game for Wales. One word answer, "No."

I can't see Bale retiring from internationals before he retires from club football. Hell, he might even retire from club football before internationals!

Stay with LA until the summer then come to Cardiff for a year and retire after Euro 24 having been the first player to captain Wales to three tournaments. You know it makes sense Gaz!

The conditions keep getting mentioned. While its an advantage to those who play in warmer climates it doesn't help when you cant keep the ball and we were passing the ball to Iranian players long before the heat took its toll.

Keep giving the ball away and of course you will be knackered if you have to chase it.

Im sure it was hot for England and they barely broke sweat and destroyed Iran.

The 2 goals. Its unfortunate for Allen that his errors were punished but you cant put that down to conditions. Nor Roberts ridiculous pass in the 1st half for the offside goal , or Hennessy charging out of goal or Rodon running out of defence v USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The conditions keep getting mentioned. While its an advantage to those who play in warmer climates it doesn't help when you cant keep the ball and we were passing the ball to Iranian players long before the heat took its toll.

Keep giving the ball away and of course you will be knackered if you have to chase it.

Im sure it was hot for England and they barely broke sweat and destroyed Iran.

The 2 goals. Its unfortunate for Allen that his errors were punished but you cant put that down to conditions. Nor Roberts ridiculous pass in the 1st half for the offside goal , or Hennessy charging out of goal or Rodon running out of defence v USA.
    We had 62% of possession apparently

The only one who was affected by the heat was Page before a ball was kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We had 62% of possession apparently
    Doesnt suprise me. What we did with that possession until we lost it was one of the issues.

We have a number of [layers who are coming to the end of the international careers - Bale, Ramsey, Morrison, Gunter, maybe Hennessy. We don't really have players of the same quality coming through, though there are a couple of bright prospects. In our recent games, we've set out wrong from the start both times, though you can se why Page thought that. Like everyone else has said, we've had a great 7 years, and it's going to a close. We're going to have to start again. Not sure Page is the right guy for that, though.

Steve Morison anyone.🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My opinion for what it's worth is that we have been in the top twenty of the FIFA rankings continuously for seven years, so, in a tournament which has thirty two sides in it, we should be there on merit based on what's happened since 2015. It's not some fluke that we've had seven years at a level which we could not have dreamed of a decade ago. Yes, I accept that were now at a stage where that ranking is very likely to drop, but I still say that it's not just Bale and Ramsey who are under performing, the whole squad is.

In my blog piece for the Iran game, I said Ampadu had a poor game and I stick by that and, yet, if you asked me to pick a Welsh player of the tournament up to now, I'd probably go for him - that really shows how low the level of performance has been from the squad. I have no expectations of qualification or even a win tomorrow, but would like to think that we would at least be able to show the world that we're better than what we've produced so far.

So, I suppose my answer to the question I set in the title is that it's a mixture of both, but with far more of the under performing aspect than the us being crap one.
    Unfortunately, a team comprising of has beens who are not performing anywhere near their best, of players who are not match fit including the first group, of second-string players, of youngsters all of whom played without the passion that is required to overcome their individual failings and whose ability to pass, even when not under pressure was appallingly poor.

Here we go.. We're a poor side, but weaker with Ramsey and Bale. Sentiment aside, there aren't more than half a dozen decent Welsh players. Small - or like us - tiny nations, can only work with what they've got, and we really haven't got a lot.

Crap

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Small - or like us - tiny nations, can only work with what they've got, and we really haven't got a lot.
    That may be true, but it riles me when people say we can't compete because we're a small (or even tiny) nation. 9 of our squad members were born outside Wales. By contrast, Denmark has a population of around 5m and I believe all their World Cup squad was born in Denmark. In football terms, whilst we will inevitably lack the player pool that large countries have, we are not the tiny minnows that some suggest. Its reasonable to expect us to be competitive, whether that's in qualifying stages or, occasionally, in World Cup or Euro finals. We haven't been competitive in this WC and that's frustrating.