+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pakistan v England

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Pakistan v England

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'd rather support a Wales cricket team. We're tagged onto the English whilst Ireland and Scotland have their own. I believe it's Glamorgan CC that is the stumbling block to this gaining traction.

When I went to Trent Bridge for a WC game a few years ago, you'd have had no idea Wales was hosting the WC too. At Sophia Gardens they play Jerusalem (nothing against the tune but it doesn't get more English than that).

We've had discussions about Cymru and Wales recently (and I think you and I had a misunderstanding - side note: Mrs Citizen who's a Londoner speaks more Welsh than I do and even has her own WhatsApp group and is a Duolingo junkie). There's been discussions about this (Wales cricket not Mrs C) in the Senedd. I find the subject interesting.
    Why dont you support the Welsh team that play in the minor counties set up if you are so keen. They play lots of games throughout the summer.

I would say that the major hurdle to cricket becoming independent is the cost. Under the ECB umbrella all coaching and club support is funded by the ECB, without that the game would be undoubtedly worse off.

Cricket in Wales would be stronger with more public support, so there are options to support Wales, Glamorgan or Cardiff (or your local club side). If the support grew the argument for Independence becomes stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Why dont you support the Welsh team that play in the minor counties set up if you are so keen. They play lots of games throughout the summer.

I would say that the major hurdle to cricket becoming independent is the cost. Under the ECB umbrella all coaching and club support is funded by the ECB, without that the game would be undoubtedly worse off.

Cricket in Wales would be stronger with more public support, so there are options to support Wales, Glamorgan or Cardiff (or your local club side). If the support grew the argument for Independence becomes stronger.
    Do you think in years to come Wales could field a international T20 side ?

That said , players from all nations can play in the England and Wales Test team

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Do you think in years to come Wales could field a international T20 side ?

That said , players from all nations can play in the England and Wales Test team
    If Wales walked away from the ECB structure it could field a T20 side almost immediately. It would be relatively successful because all the players in it currently have come through the ECB pathway, and into a minor county, or county structure.

However i dont believe it is in the interest of cricket in Wales to walk away from this structure. In the same way that i dont believe that Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham should walk away from the English league structure. As being in both is more beneficial to them than not.

Ultimately there is not much support from the public in Wales towards cricket. Glamorgan are one of the poorest supported county sides.