+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sports People, Actors, Celebs, Musicians etc-who have blown you out...

Re: Sports People, Actors, Celebs, Musicians etc-who have blown you out...

I can second the bit about Robbie James. Met him a couple of times. The first time was in the team hotel in Prague before the Czechoslovakia vs Wales game in 1981 where we had gone to pick up some complementary tickets arranged for us. Both he and Alan Curtis bought us a couple of beers and were great company.

Earlier in the day we had gone to the hotel to sort them out. The team was milling around the bus about to go training. Micky Thomas came up for a chat. He asked us how we had travelled and we told him we had a day in Nuremburg before an overnight train to Prague. His first question was to ask how much prostitutes were charging in Nuremburg!

Then a young Czech lad came along with a board squared off for players autographs. Micky Thomas signed it Joey Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I was living in Bradford and went to Halifax to see City

We beat them 1 nil and ducked my way into the players bar and spoke to stantona who was necking the pints whilst smoking a cigar

I stayed in the bar and Robbie James turned up and because he was such a popular player at Bradford City their supporters club had arranged a party for him back in the hotel he used to stay in when he played for them

He said pop in on the way back , everything's paid for

So I went on the beers with him . I really good guy . Loved playing for City despite being a bit worried as an ex jack . He said the fans were fantastic to him and he wished he had played for us earlier in his career .

I went to bed about 5 in the morning , he was still drinking away with the bar staff . Woke up at midday , went to pay the hotel room bill and good old Robbie had settled it before getting his train home .

A cracking bloke whose son is a big cardiff fan

RIP Robbie James
    Great story that

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I can second the bit about Robbie James. Met him a couple of times. The first time was in the team hotel in Prague before the Czechoslovakia vs Wales game in 1981 where we had gone to pick up some complementary tickets arranged for us. Both he and Alan Curtis bought us a couple of beers and were great company.

Earlier in the day we had gone to the hotel to sort them out. The team was milling around the bus about to go training. Micky Thomas came up for a chat. He asked us how we had travelled and we told him we had a day in Nuremburg before an overnight train to Prague. His first question was to ask how much prostitutes were charging in Nuremburg!

Then a young Czech lad came along with a board squared off for players autographs. Micky Thomas signed it Joey Jones.
    I'll second that about Alan Curtis. Lovely man. When i was a kid at the club and had to do jobs like sweep and mop the changing rooms, clean the bath etc, he was the only one who showed me some respect, him and Ian Rodgerson. Little things like picking their kit up, acknowledging what i was doing and saying thankyou. Curtis always had time for the young players, he would ask how we were, always used our first name, and listen to us. Biggest bellend was jimmy gilligan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'll second that about Alan Curtis. Lovely man. When i was a kid at the club and had to do jobs like sweep and mop the changing rooms, clean the bath etc, he was the only one who showed me some respect, him and Ian Rodgerson. Little things like picking their kit up, acknowledging what i was doing and saying thankyou. Curtis always had time for the young players, he would ask how we were, always used our first name, and listen to us. Biggest bellend was jimmy gilligan.
    Did you play for the first team or just apprentice level ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Did you play for the first team or just apprentice level ?
    reserves.

reserves.
    i mean stiffs

Curtis was the best footballer at the club by a mile then and Rodgerson may have been the second best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Ah, that's a lovely story!

I remember at Wrexham's Racecourse ground, when we took thousands up there in our promotion season.
    Robbie James never put a foot wrong all game, he personified 'coolness' that afternoon.
    He loved playing for Cardiff City and was chuffed to be so popular

Mickey Thomas was a little rascal

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Curtis was the best footballer at the club by a mile then and Rodgerson may have been the second best.
    He was, by a mile. I used to watch him train and he was levels above anything we had. Never saw him angry or abusive to anyone. Rodgerson was a great bloke as well, good fullback. I ripped my trousers pissing about, it was the afternoon before a mid week league game. I was on duty (cleaning the home changing room after the game) didn't wear a tracksuit back then, was trousers and a shirt. He took me into town and bought me a new pair. That stuck with me whenever i deal with young apprentices on site etc.

Curtis was a gent

Same as Tommy Hucthison , the Scottish fella who played for the jacks till he was 90

When he stopped playing he got a job as a schools coach in South Wales

Lovely guy to chat to , even in his later years at Swansea he had so much time on the ball and never panicked . I told him that and he put out his hand and said thank you son 😂

And with that he was back on the field coaching the kids

Imagine that ......having incredible natural talent , getting paid for playing the game then teaching kids to do the same , giving them confidence and mentoring them

Can't fault it

He was, by a mile. I used to watch him train and he was levels above anything we had. Never saw him angry or abusive to anyone. Rodgerson was a great bloke as well, good fullback. I ripped my trousers pissing about, it was the afternoon before a mid week league game. I was on duty (cleaning the home changing room after the game) didn't wear a tracksuit back then, was trousers and a shirt. He took me into town and bought me a new pair. That stuck with me whenever i deal with young apprentices on site etc.
    So that was you in Matalan with that youngster the other day

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    So that was you in Matalan with that youngster the other day
    Do you still have to pay £1 membership fee in Matalan? That'll keep out the riff-raff..

Do you still have to pay £1 membership fee in Matalan? That'll keep out the riff-raff..
    Search me, I’m a Primark aficionado.

You need a card

Pm me

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Search me, I’m a Primark aficionado.
    Which is exactly what they do in primark

My mate's sister once wanked off Robbie Williams. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Leaving the word ‘sister’ out would've garnered more interest.

Any truth in the rumour that he dedicated Come Undone to her?

Czech mate?

Take that, she said.

It says "blown" in the thread title. So no.

Met that Connie Fisher.

Out of "there's a problem called Maria" or something on the telly. After a wales match pissed up on the train from Cardiff back to barry. Lovely, happily chatted and had selfie. Remember George best's minder telling me "he ain't signing nufink " as a ten year old after we had beaten Fulham 3-1 . ( he got a lot of abuse that day to be fair)

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Met that Connie Fisher.
    Is that the singer ?

She's not famous anymore