+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAS Rogue Hero's BBC

Re: SAS Rogue Hero's BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Also allowed the army into Tonypandy to influence the Miners Strike.

Basically sent soldiers on the population.
    That's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    That's not true.
    I think you may find he agreed to the use of troops as requested by the then chief of heddlu/dibble.

Some say he was reluctant to do so but do do he did.

I'll stand corrected if you can tell me otherwise.

I think you may find he agreed to the use of troops as requested by the then chief of heddlu/dibble.

Some say he was reluctant to do so but do do he did.

I'll stand corrected if you can tell me otherwise.
    The police requested the local authories to bring them in because of looting etc. Churchill found out and initially stopped them an they billetted at [Swindon ?]. The local authorities and police asked they carry on to Tonypandy, which they did, but they never came into face-to-face confrontation with the miners. There's a lot of stuff written about it but if you want a balanced, detailed account there's a whole chapter in Jeremy Paxman's Black Gold - it probably available in you local library.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The police requested the local authories to bring them in because of looting etc. Churchill found out and initially stopped them an they billetted at [Swindon ?]. The local authorities and police asked they carry on to Tonypandy, which they did, but they never came into face-to-face confrontation with the miners. There's a lot of stuff written about it but if you want a balanced, detailed account there's a whole chapter in Jeremy Paxman's Black Gold - it probably available in you local library.
    I've read Paxmans book, decent read but certainly subjective, I agree it's quite balanced.

Decent view on the Aberfan disaster too.

Thought my view was 'balanced' mind. I don't subscribe to the view Churchill enthusiastically allowed troops to the Rhondda but he certainly agreed to it.

Another who showed restraint remarkably was the army commander MaCready. The same bloke who went into Ireland with the Black n Tan's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Bit of a daft comment, don't ya think??
    Had Hitler gotten control of mainland Europe, which was clearly the intention, I daresay no blacks, Jews, Muslims etc would be residing anywhere in Europe right now.
    Who's the more racist of the two of them really?
    Just the usual we hate Tory trait.

With no consideration of the issues and behaviour of all at the time ..

Churchill was an extraordinary man , as were his views on winning a war, whilst allowing the rules of war to be ignored in North Africa to win atvall costs , let's not forget it was in tandem with Nazis gassing women and children , and the Japanese cruelly torturing POW's
    Guess Nazis ,Japs were not as evil as a all Tories.

I've read Paxmans book, decent read but certainly subjective, I agree it's quite balanced.

Decent view on the Aberfan disaster too.

Thought my view was 'balanced' mind. I don't subscribe to the view Churchill enthusiastically allowed troops to the Rhondda but he certainly agreed to it.

Another who showed restraint remarkably was the army commander MaCready. The same bloke who went into Ireland with the Black n Tan's.
    The troops went in as support as the police chief and the local police could not cope , or the pther forces called in , he felt folks lives were at stake so he begged Churchill, who initially turned the request down .

I don't think the army or Churchill were the violent components its was more miners and police charging and fighting each other .. even police from Cardiff were there , they just lost control .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonypandy_riots