+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone On Here Been To Argentina ?

Anyone On Here Been To Argentina ?

Planning to visit in the next couple of years, but it seems incredibly expensive to get there, with most routes from Mardrid. Planning two weeks out there, Buenos Aries, wine country and some other bits. Anyone been and recommend/not recommend.

I did go very close to there in the early 80's but got that trip for free.

Re: Anyone On Here Been To Argentina ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Planning to visit in the next couple of years, but it seems incredibly expensive to get there, with most routes from Mardrid. Planning two weeks out there, Buenos Aries, wine country and some other bits. Anyone been and recommend/not recommend.

Not much help to you but I had to have a refund for the trip I had paid for before Lockdown ensued. I'm now looking to go in January 2024.

Did a cruise around South America many years ago - Santiago to Rio.

Many highlights but the 2 days spent in Buenos Aries was most enjoyable even though there was a financial crisis there at the time with people queuing outside banks trying to get their cash. Atmospheric place with passionate people; enjoyed La Boca district in particular and walked around Boca Juniors stadium which must be some place when there's a game on there.

Visited in '94 for the GP that got cancelled!
    Decamped from BA to Mar del Plata for a couple of days.
    Not surprisingly the cities have a very Spanish feel to them although it was the first place for me to see armed guards outside shopping malls!
    Couldn't get inland easily at the time as the trains were fecked due to privatisation :-(

Based on my experience if you're looking for more of a "South American" feel to things I'd consider Chile instead.

We went in 2005 (and to Chile).

It was expensive to get there but the currency had collapsed so once there it was very cheap. We were in Argentina for about 3 weeks - Buenos Aires (the street tango is something else), Iguazo Falls on the Brazilian border (a mini Niagara), Salta in the Andes foothills (drove up to the salt plains with the help of an oxygen cylinder and some brilliant guides), Patagonia for the whales and new Wales, and then down to the far south (big skies and glaciers) before crossing over to Chile.

Fantastic country. Great food and wine (and rum). Vegetarians are people who only eat 8oz streaks. There was an Argentina Air strike as soon as we arrived so instead of two easy internal flights we had to do a 30 hour and 36 hour coach trip to get to Iguazo and Salta Being dog tired and full of over-sweet tea courtesy of the bus attendant whilst watching US dubbed 'comedies' on continuous loop is not recommended. The only region I think we really missed out on was Mendoza.

I want to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post

Went there on a wales rugby tour in 2018. Buenos Aries is very cosmopolitan. All the rich Argentinians live there. Prices are expensive. In comparison the rest of Argentina is very poor. We travelled to the Alps, in particular Mendoza (home of Malbec) and the other wine regions. The two highlights for us were our trip to Welsh Patagonia(loved all the kids speaking Welsh in Spanish accents lol!) and the Atacama desert. Well worth the trip, but glad I attached it to a sports tour.

If they have, Don’t cry for me .

Falklands was fun

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Falklands was fun
    Why do you have to say such silly things?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why do you have to say such silly things?
    I thought the same.

I have finally got around to reading Jonathan Wilson's book on Argentinian football.

Well worth the effort as an introduction not only to the football history and culture but to the country:

angels with dirty faces.jpg