+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas dinner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Christmas dinner

Serious question, what makes a good Christmas dinner?
    What meat you having?
    Should there be yorkies? No room for them in my opinion...
    Sprouts? If you want to stink the house out...
    And what's with them pigs in blankets, who wants sausage and bacon on a Christmas dinner ffs...

Given the choice, it'd be a standard minty lamb roast for me, homemade gravy is a must though.

Re: Christmas dinner

Turkey, roasties, pigs, bread sauce, root veg mash, carrots, sprouts, peas, cauliflower cheese, stuffing x2, cranberry, gravy.
    NO YORKSHIRES.

Turkey and Beef if I am home. Definitely not lamb. May be gammon instead of the beef

Yorkshire pudding whatever meat as there has been for the last 40 years. Peas,carrots roasties and mash, there will be sprouts,but I won't have them or the cauliflower cheese

And pigs in blankets of course. Nothing wrong with them.

But I may still be in hospital, in which case I guess it will be either be Turkey or Beef

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Turkey and Beef if I am home. Definitely not lamb. May be gammon instead of the beef

Yorkshire pudding whatever meat as there has been for the last 40 years. Peas,carrots roasties and mash, there will be sprouts,but I won't have them or the cauliflower cheese

And pigs in blankets of course. Nothing wrong with them.

But I may still be in hospital, in which case I guess it will be either be Turkey or Beef
    Hope it's not hospital food and you can have your choice at home!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Hope it's not hospital food and you can have your choice at home!
    Thanks

I hope so too.

4 months in hospital is enough now, but I have got COVID at the moment and it has put my discharge back by days

Thanks

I hope so too.

4 months in hospital is enough now, but I have got COVID at the moment and it has put my discharge back by days
    Really feel for you brother Elwood.

Thanks

I hope so too.

Hope you're home for Christmas Elwood

Turkey (either crown or rolled), pigs in blankets, roasted vegetables including caramelised challots, carrots and parsnips, sprouts (my favourite), peas, potatoes, stuffing with bacon, cranberry, bread and apple sauces, Yorkshire puddings, occasionally a small joint of pork with crackling depending on how many for lunch.

Usually have Christmas pud waiting in the wings but usually have it a day or two later as completely stuffed after all the previous.

Day later left over cold meat with bubble and squeek and pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Serious question, what makes a good Christmas dinner?
    What meat you having?
    Should there be yorkies? No room for them in my opinion...
    Sprouts? If you want to stink the house out...
    And what's with them pigs in blankets, who wants sausage and bacon on a Christmas dinner ffs...

Given the choice, it'd be a standard minty lamb roast for me, homemade gravy is a must though.
    Sprouts are the favourite,roast parsnips,carrots,potatos.Large helping of turkey,stuffing,carnberry and 3 yorkshires and plastered with gravy.

Lots of meat, chicken, beef, gammon (no turkey as it’s the poorest of all the meat). 456 sprouts, 234 parsnips (crispy), 5667 pigs in blankets, gravy, that’ll do me.

Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.
    Best not complain about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Very droll.

Big favourite in Germany too. I remember being in the food hall of a department store in Berlin a couple of days before Christmas, and people choosing their live carp from a large tank. They would then be hit with a big stick. (The carp, not the people). Didn't seem very festive to me!

Turkey without question.

Yorkshire puds have a home on every single type of cooked dinner of that sort, so yes.
    Bread sauce, cranberry sauce.
    Obviously roasties.
    Small amount of stuffing, less is more.

Pigs in blankets - It would be ruined without them.

Veg - Carrots, if really necessary.

Mash, gravy, then topped off with mint sauce (some neanderthals think mint is only welcome on certain meats, which is NOT the case).

Alternate between goose and turkey. Every time we have turkey we say bloody hell that was dull we'll go back to goose next year. Every time we have goose we say bloody hell that was expensive we'll go back to turkey next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Alternate between goose and turkey. Every time we have turkey we say bloody hell that was dull we'll go back to goose next year. Every time we have goose we say bloody hell that was expensive we'll go back to turkey next year!
    I have never had goose,what is it like?

12 courses, 12!!! None of which were meat. 3 fish courses. Lots of sweet desserts. 2 hours to eat and then we went back to work.

Anyway it was nice but not really my thing. Coming home on Friday, looking forward to a proper Christmas Dinner. Turkey & Gammon for us, two different stuffing & a mountain of veg. Hate sprouts. Sleep afterwards.

Never got the whole pigs in blankets thing. Cooked dinner should always have a Yorkshire though and crispy stuffing no matter the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Never got the whole pigs in blankets thing. Cooked dinner should always have a Yorkshire though and crispy stuffing no matter the meat.
    As I understand it, whole pigs are not enveloped by the bacon blankets but just enough of the pigs that it takes to fill very small sausages.....

I think Xmas is complete bollocks

Chicken Madras for me

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think Xmas is complete bollocks

Chicken Madras for me
    I can hear those chains clanking.

We normally have the M&S Veggie christmas " meat ", the Lidl veggie christmas " meat " and a Quorn roast, Roasties, Spouts, honey roasted parsnips, Qourn pigs in blankets, Red cabbage, Carrots, pea's, Cauliflower cheese, bread sauce, think thats it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We normally have the M&S Veggie christmas " meat ", the Lidl veggie christmas " meat " and a Quorn roast, Roasties, Spouts, honey roasted parsnips, Qourn pigs in blankets, Red cabbage, Carrots, pea's, Cauliflower cheese, bread sauce, think thats it
    Do you and the family cook all that or is it ready made and you just heat it up ?

I can't be arsed cooking a big spread like that