+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Serious question, what makes a good Christmas dinner?
    What meat you having?
    Should there be yorkies? No room for them in my opinion...
    Sprouts? If you want to stink the house out...
    And what's with them pigs in blankets, who wants sausage and bacon on a Christmas dinner ffs...

Given the choice, it'd be a standard minty lamb roast for me, homemade gravy is a must though.

Re: Christmas dinner

Turkey, roasties, pigs, bread sauce, root veg mash, carrots, sprouts, peas, cauliflower cheese, stuffing x2, cranberry, gravy.
    NO YORKSHIRES.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Serious question, what makes a good Christmas dinner?
    What meat you having?
    Should there be yorkies? No room for them in my opinion...
    Sprouts? If you want to stink the house out...
    And what's with them pigs in blankets, who wants sausage and bacon on a Christmas dinner ffs...

Given the choice, it'd be a standard minty lamb roast for me, homemade gravy is a must though.
    Sprouts are the favourite,roast parsnips,carrots,potatos.Large helping of turkey,stuffing,carnberry and 3 yorkshires and plastered with gravy.

Lots of meat, chicken, beef, gammon (no turkey as it’s the poorest of all the meat). 456 sprouts, 234 parsnips (crispy), 5667 pigs in blankets, gravy, that’ll do me.

Turkey and Beef if I am home. Definitely not lamb. May be gammon instead of the beef

Yorkshire pudding whatever meat as there has been for the last 40 years. Peas,carrots roasties and mash, there will be sprouts,but I won't have them or the cauliflower cheese

And pigs in blankets of course. Nothing wrong with them.

But I may still be in hospital, in which case I guess it will be either be Turkey or Beef

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Turkey and Beef if I am home. Definitely not lamb. May be gammon instead of the beef

Yorkshire pudding whatever meat as there has been for the last 40 years. Peas,carrots roasties and mash, there will be sprouts,but I won't have them or the cauliflower cheese

And pigs in blankets of course. Nothing wrong with them.

But I may still be in hospital, in which case I guess it will be either be Turkey or Beef
    Hope it's not hospital food and you can have your choice at home!

Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.

Never got the whole pigs in blankets thing. Cooked dinner should always have a Yorkshire though and crispy stuffing no matter the meat.

I think Xmas is complete bollocks

Chicken Madras for me

We normally have the M&S Veggie christmas " meat ", the Lidl veggie christmas " meat " and a Quorn roast, Roasties, Spouts, honey roasted parsnips, Qourn pigs in blankets, Red cabbage, Carrots, pea's, Cauliflower cheese, bread sauce, think thats it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We normally have the M&S Veggie christmas " meat ", the Lidl veggie christmas " meat " and a Quorn roast, Roasties, Spouts, honey roasted parsnips, Qourn pigs in blankets, Red cabbage, Carrots, pea's, Cauliflower cheese, bread sauce, think thats it
    Do you and the family cook all that or is it ready made and you just heat it up ?

I can't be arsed cooking a big spread like that

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Do you and the family cook all that or is it ready made and you just heat it up ?

I can't be arsed cooking a big spread like that
    the M&S / Lidl christmas " meat " are already done, just chuck them in the oven , the Qourn Roast is just like a roll of " meat " ( so also oven based )
    The Wife will prep the Pigs in blankets, the sprouts and Red cabbage Christmas Eve, but she will do everything else on the day, Im never allowed in the kitchen, she kicks me out as I make too much of a mess / arse around / haven't a clue / more arseing around / steal food ( though saying that, I do cook for the girls occasionally when my wife in work, but its a pasta dish or a few pizza's in the own )

Turkey (either crown or rolled), pigs in blankets, roasted vegetables including caramelised challots, carrots and parsnips, sprouts (my favourite), peas, potatoes, stuffing with bacon, cranberry, bread and apple sauces, Yorkshire puddings, occasionally a small joint of pork with crackling depending on how many for lunch.

Usually have Christmas pud waiting in the wings but usually have it a day or two later as completely stuffed after all the previous.

Day later left over cold meat with bubble and squeek and pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the M&S / Lidl christmas " meat " are already done, just chuck them in the oven , the Qourn Roast is just like a roll of " meat " ( so also oven based )
    The Wife will prep the Pigs in blankets, the sprouts and Red cabbage Christmas Eve, but she will do everything else on the day, Im never allowed in the kitchen, she kicks me out as I make too much of a mess / arse around / haven't a clue / more arseing around / steal food ( though saying that, I do cook for the girls occasionally when my wife in work, but its a pasta dish or a few pizza's in the own )
    Too much stress and fussing for me

Order it in

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Thanks

I hope so too.

4 months in hospital is enough now, but I have got COVID at the moment and it has put my discharge back by days

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.
    Carpe Diem my friend.

Thanks

I hope so too.

4 months in hospital is enough now, but I have got COVID at the moment and it has put my discharge back by days
    Really feel for you brother Elwood.

Thanks

I hope so too.

Hope you're home for Christmas Elwood

Thanks

I hope so too.

Bloody 'ell mate, that's a long time being hospitalised! Hope you can somehow make it out by Christmas.

With all of the stories about shortages due to bird flu, I'm giving turkey a miss this year and am thinking of taking out a mortgage and getting a rack of beef. There are all sorts of foods I hated as a kid that I now eat without a second thought, but sprouts are very definitely not one of them, not a great fan of parsnip either, but I'll eat them whereas sprouts are a no, no. I'm not a great cook. but I do have a bit of a knack when it comes to making roast potatoes for some reason, so, this year, beef, Yorkshire pud, roasters, peas, carrots and swede with a few pigs in blankets will do me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Which hospital you in mate?
    I'm up the Heath still on my 16th day.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Best not complain about it....

Gotta start with these bad boys.

https://youtu.be/b1bXQlWLl7U

Chicken & lamb, not a lover of turkey, if it was so nice why only have it once a year
    Load of roasties, sprouts etc. in fact, more or less, a traditional Sunday dinner. You can only eat so much.

I'll be at my daughter's place, a recent "tradition", there'll be about 10 of us.
    Turkey, beef, gammon, piggies, roast spuds and parsnips, various veg, inc sprouts.

The best way I've founf to cook sprouts (no stinking out the house!)~ -
    par-boil them (cut any big 'uns in half), also roast a few chestnuts (day before)
    Roughly chop some streaky smoked bacon and the chestnuts, also a few dried cranberries.
    Stir-fry the bacon in just a splash of oil
    Add the sprouts and other chopped stuff, ad a pinch of mixed herbs (opt)
    You'll never shun sprouts again!