+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Christmas dinner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Christmas dinner

Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.
    Best not complain about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Very droll.

Big favourite in Germany too. I remember being in the food hall of a department store in Berlin a couple of days before Christmas, and people choosing their live carp from a large tank. They would then be hit with a big stick. (The carp, not the people). Didn't seem very festive to me!

Turkey without question.

Yorkshire puds have a home on every single type of cooked dinner of that sort, so yes.
    Bread sauce, cranberry sauce.
    Obviously roasties.
    Small amount of stuffing, less is more.

Pigs in blankets - It would be ruined without them.

Veg - Carrots, if really necessary.

Mash, gravy, then topped off with mint sauce (some neanderthals think mint is only welcome on certain meats, which is NOT the case).

Alternate between goose and turkey. Every time we have turkey we say bloody hell that was dull we'll go back to goose next year. Every time we have goose we say bloody hell that was expensive we'll go back to turkey next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Alternate between goose and turkey. Every time we have turkey we say bloody hell that was dull we'll go back to goose next year. Every time we have goose we say bloody hell that was expensive we'll go back to turkey next year!
    I have never had goose,what is it like?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Full of flavour - so you'd need to like that flavour! Can be fatty, if not rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Full of flavour - so you'd need to like that flavour! Can be fatty, if not rendered.
    Love to give a try but if a whole bird was bought the Mrs and kids did not like a big waste.

Tried it one year, it was very nice at dinner time, but there was a lot left and it was basically just a very fatty mess.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tried it one year, it was very nice at dinner time, but there was a lot left and it was basically just a very fatty mess.
    my family would not like that,i would give it a go.

Many moons ago, my sister descended (uninvited) on me and my mate just before Xmas when we lived in Germany.
    As my mate and I were working and my sister was free, I asked her to pick up a turkey for Christmas Day.
    She proudly presented it to us when we came home from work and had no idea that the words 'Gans' on the labelling meant 'goose'.
    Twas fatty, if I remember correctly.

International

A bit like a sheep but they wriggle less

I was going to say Jesus is this thread still going we must be short of Cardiff City news, but couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    A bit like a sheep but they wriggle less

I was going to say Jesus is this thread still going we must be short of Cardiff City news, but couldn't resist.
    HA HA do you still have to wear wellies ?

12 courses, 12!!! None of which were meat. 3 fish courses. Lots of sweet desserts. 2 hours to eat and then we went back to work.

Anyway it was nice but not really my thing. Coming home on Friday, looking forward to a proper Christmas Dinner. Turkey & Gammon for us, two different stuffing & a mountain of veg. Hate sprouts. Sleep afterwards.