+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas dinner

Re: Christmas dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Best not complain about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Turkey and Beef if I am home. Definitely not lamb. May be gammon instead of the beef

Yorkshire pudding whatever meat as there has been for the last 40 years. Peas,carrots roasties and mash, there will be sprouts,but I won't have them or the cauliflower cheese

And pigs in blankets of course. Nothing wrong with them.

But I may still be in hospital, in which case I guess it will be either be Turkey or Beef
    Are you up the Heath Elwood?
    Do you need me to pick u anything up from the concourse?
    I'm stuck up here myself if you need anything

good luck Bob and Elwood, hope you are out and at home soon

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    good luck Bob and Elwood, hope you are out and at home soon
    Seconded, to Bob and Elwood 🍻

We eat turkey here on Thanksgiving. As previously mentioned, the worst of all the meats. So at Christmas, we eat want we want. My sister-in-law is Italian-American. She usually makes pork chops with a "secret" family gravy. There's usually a pasta dish too. It's mostly about the snacks though.Various meats, (prosciutto -"proshute", capicola ham "gabagool" (it took me years to figure that one out) And cheeses, they literally call mozzarella "mootzadelle" and ricotta "rigote". It's like I'm living in the Sopranos. Then they all get pissed and someone cries. Good times. No one gets whacked though. So that's a plus. There are plenty of stories though.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We eat turkey here on Thanksgiving. As previously mentioned, the worst of all the meats. So at Christmas, we eat want we want. My sister-in-law is Italian-American. She usually makes pork chops with a "secret" family gravy. There's usually a pasta dish too. It's mostly about the snacks though.Various meats, (prosciutto -"proshute", capicola ham "gabagool" (it took me years to figure that one out) And cheeses, they literally call mozzarella "mootzadelle" and ricotta "rigote". It's like I'm living in the Sopranos. Then they all get pissed and someone cries. Good times. No one gets whacked though. So that's a plus. There are plenty of stories though.
    Does anyone get a horse's head in the bed as a present?

First Team

Not being a Christian the whole thing means very little to me.

The Christmas meal thing totally passes me by as turkey is the blandest meat you can have and if I want to generate vile smelling farts then a curry is preferable to sprouts.

OK, I will accept pigs in blankets as an exceptional treat although I am obviously going to be dammed for eternity for eating them and as a fan of stuffing then the choice widens every December.

Then there is Christmas pudding, is that a punishment for being bad.?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Not being a Christian the whole thing means very little to me.

The Christmas meal thing totally passes me by as turkey is the blandest meat you can have and if I want to generate vile smelling farts then a curry is preferable to sprouts.

OK, I will accept pigs in blankets as an exceptional treat although I am obviously going to be dammed for eternity for eating them and as a fan of stuffing then the choice widens every December.

Then there is Christmas pudding, is that a punishment for being bad.?
    You are obviously spared the quandary of wondering whether to think of the baby Jesus or Santa as you force-feed yourself the meat equivalent of MDF and whilst drinking copious amounts of the demon alcohol.

Bless you, my son.

Looks like it'll be turkey in my house, which I'm disappointed with to be honest. I have half a leg of lamb stashed in the freezer for later in the week though.
    You can't beat lamb, especially the juices for a homemade gravy.

Here's a tip for you though lads if you're having turkey...

Get a large chunk of butter in a cereal bowl, add to it the zest of a Clementine and a little of the juice. Finely chop a bunch of fresh sage and add that in along with a generous pinch of salt and a small pinch of black pepper.

Mix it all up, and stuff some of it under the skin on the turkey breasts. You'll have to work your fingers under the skin to get in there, but do that and squash some of the mix under there, flatten it all over both breasts.

Use the rest to cover the turkey, legs etc if you're not having a crown.
    Also, cut a Clementine and a small onion in half, and shove it in the cavity with some fresh sage.

Trust me on this, I've been doing this for a good few years now, it adds a lovely flavour and helps keep the ugly bird moist

lamb for me, mrs likes turkey, all the usual trimmings... i got to admit went over aldi the other day and they had a special selected stuffing was banging and will be on my xmas dinner...

quality cruble or some choc log for desert...

other than that 1 year i totally flipped it and had a chinese, 1 of the best ever, ordered it late xmas eve ate it for xmas dinner was top stuff

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Never got the whole pigs in blankets thing. Cooked dinner should always have a Yorkshire though and crispy stuffing no matter the meat.
    As I understand it, whole pigs are not enveloped by the bacon blankets but just enough of the pigs that it takes to fill very small sausages.....

Turkey is fine but you've got to brine it first.

Get well soon Elwood & Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.
    Big favourite in Germany too. I remember being in the food hall of a department store in Berlin a couple of days before Christmas, and people choosing their live carp from a large tank. They would then be hit with a big stick. (The carp, not the people). Didn't seem very festive to me!

Turkey without question.

Yorkshire puds have a home on every single type of cooked dinner of that sort, so yes.
    Bread sauce, cranberry sauce.
    Obviously roasties.
    Small amount of stuffing, less is more.

Pigs in blankets - It would be ruined without them.

Veg - Carrots, if really necessary.

Mash, gravy, then topped off with mint sauce (some neanderthals think mint is only welcome on certain meats, which is NOT the case).

Everything but Cramberry sauce,horseradish for me.

Alternate between goose and turkey. Every time we have turkey we say bloody hell that was dull we'll go back to goose next year. Every time we have goose we say bloody hell that was expensive we'll go back to turkey next year!

International

Turkey, Beef, roasties, mash, honey glazed roasted parsnips, garden peas, sliced carrot, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire pud, cranberry sauce, swimming in gravy, jobs a good en!

Keep your stuffing, pigs in blankets, and shove your sprouts!

We usually get those micro chicken dinners from Iceland with the reformed chicken breast. Kids love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Alternate between goose and turkey. Every time we have turkey we say bloody hell that was dull we'll go back to goose next year. Every time we have goose we say bloody hell that was expensive we'll go back to turkey next year!
    I have never had goose,what is it like?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I have never had goose,what is it like?
    Full of flavour - so you'd need to like that flavour! Can be fatty, if not rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Full of flavour - so you'd need to like that flavour! Can be fatty, if not rendered.
    Love to give a try but if a whole bird was bought the Mrs and kids did not like a big waste.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Turkey is fine but you've got to brine it first.

Get well soon Elwood & Bob.
    Brining does very little.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Turkey, Beef, roasties, mash, honey glazed roasted parsnips, garden peas, sliced carrot, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire pud, cranberry sauce, swimming in gravy, jobs a good en!

Keep your stuffing, pigs in blankets, and shove your sprouts!
    I make stuffing balls with breadcrumbs, mushrooms, garlic, onion, celery, red wine and chicken livers. I cook them separately from the bird. They're delicious.

Sauteed sprouts with bacon, onions and balsamic vinegar are amazing.

Our now traditional pork pie with cherry tomatoes, and a flask of tea - on a 10 mile walk in north Derbyshire, hopefully with a frost and clear skies.

No crowds, no shit TV.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Brining does very little.
    Agreed.