+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas dinner

Re: Christmas dinner

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I have never had goose,what is it like?
    Tried it one year, it was very nice at dinner time, but there was a lot left and it was basically just a very fatty mess.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tried it one year, it was very nice at dinner time, but there was a lot left and it was basically just a very fatty mess.
    my family would not like that,i would give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Turkey, Beef, roasties, mash, honey glazed roasted parsnips, garden peas, sliced carrot, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire pud, cranberry sauce, swimming in gravy, jobs a good en!

Keep your stuffing, pigs in blankets, and shove your sprouts!
    thats about 7-8 hours of work

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.
    12 courses, 12!!! None of which were meat. 3 fish courses. Lots of sweet desserts. 2 hours to eat and then we went back to work.

Anyway it was nice but not really my thing. Coming home on Friday, looking forward to a proper Christmas Dinner. Turkey & Gammon for us, two different stuffing & a mountain of veg. Hate sprouts. Sleep afterwards.

Has anyone here been in Japan at Christmas and had a traditional Japanese Christmas dinner- a KFC?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Brining does very little.
    Brine it for 48 hours transforms it mate, never dry always well flavoured.

What

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Looks like it'll be turkey in my house, which I'm disappointed with to be honest. I have half a leg of lamb stashed in the freezer for later in the week though.
    You can't beat lamb, especially the juices for a homemade gravy.

Here's a tip for you though lads if you're having turkey...

Get a large chunk of butter in a cereal bowl, add to it the zest of a Clementine and a little of the juice. Finely chop a bunch of fresh sage and add that in along with a generous pinch of salt and a small pinch of black pepper.

Mix it all up, and stuff some of it under the skin on the turkey breasts. You'll have to work your fingers under the skin to get in there, but do that and squash some of the mix under there, flatten it all over both breasts.

Use the rest to cover the turkey, legs etc if you're not having a crown.
    Also, cut a Clementine and a small onion in half, and shove it in the cavity with some fresh sage.

Trust me on this, I've been doing this for a good few years now, it adds a lovely flavour and helps keep the ugly bird moist
    I've used a kitchen spoon to work a space between the skin and flesh.

So once a year you dimwits spend 6 or 7 hours preparing a meal that is scoffed in less than 45 minutes ?

Cobblers to that

If this is the tradition of Xmas I fail to see the point

Xmas lunch is tasty but all that messing about is insane

Phone one of those places that delivers or go to a pub or harvesters or whatever

Scoff the food

No stress

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Brine it for 48 hours transforms it mate, never dry always well flavoured.
    I've tried it. Pain in the arse and I said, does very little. Brining is a hoax.

Biggest thing is to have people to share it with.

Due to circumstances I am facing the first Christmas in my life on my own and it isn't a pleasant prospect

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Brining does very little.
    I’d tried brining a number of years ago and I’d agree it was a struggle to see the difference. For the last 2 years though I’ve had a Traeger grill and have brined and smoked a turkey. It’s been a game changer and now I get rebellion if I suggest switching. Set the Traeger going … monitor on the app … idiot proof … same result everytime (we do it on US Thanksgiving too, but that’s just an excuse to have a few beers and watch the NFL while my US colleagues are off).

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’d tried brining a number of years ago and I’d agree it was a struggle to see the difference. For the last 2 years though I’ve had a Traeger grill and have brined and smoked a turkey. It’s been a game changer and now I get rebellion if I suggest switching. Set the Traeger going … monitor on the app … idiot proof … same result everytime (we do it on US Thanksgiving too, but that’s just an excuse to have a few beers and watch the NFL while my US colleagues are off).
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandstand Boy View Post

Due to circumstances I am facing the first Christmas in my life on my own and it isn't a pleasant prospect
    I've had Christmas on my own at least once that I can remember. I went to a diner in the East Village and then went home and cleaned the apartment. Then I went out and pulled. I have to say it was a good day.

For me Turkey, roast spuds, parsnips, carrots, sausage meat, stuffing (2 kinds) Sprouts cooked with chestnuts and bacon
    Gravy, bread sauce and cranberry sauce

Not a huge fan of turkey, I'd happily switch to Goose, we had a goose a few weeks ago from lidl, and it was great, but it'll be turkey again.

Never tried brining, but have had it cooked on a bbq one year, with a smoker section, that gave it a lovely flavour

Quote Originally Posted by Grandstand Boy View Post

Hope you have as good a Christmas as is possible under the circumstances mate

It's shocking hearing about so many homeless people being found dead this time of the year also, it certainly puts all the trivial shit into perspective.

It certainly makes you grateful for the little that you do have, such as a roof over your head and warmth, food etc. All the simple things that we sometimes take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    For me Turkey, roast spuds, parsnips, carrots, sausage meat, stuffing (2 kinds) Sprouts cooked with chestnuts and bacon
    Gravy, bread sauce and cranberry sauce

Not a huge fan of turkey, I'd happily switch to Goose, we had a goose a few weeks ago from lidl, and it was great, but it'll be turkey again.

Never tried brining, but have had it cooked on a bbq one year, with a smoker section, that gave it a lovely flavour
    Never tried goose, what's it taste like?

A bit like duck

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A bit like duck
    Nice, can't fault a bit of duck, lovely flavour that is.

Just the basics for me. Turkey, roast potatoes, runner beans, peas, carrots, stuffing, bread sauce and loads of gravy.

Have a gander at some food review sites.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I have never had goose,what is it like?
    Many moons ago, my sister descended (uninvited) on me and my mate just before Xmas when we lived in Germany.
    As my mate and I were working and my sister was free, I asked her to pick up a turkey for Christmas Day.
    She proudly presented it to us when we came home from work and had no idea that the words 'Gans' on the labelling meant 'goose'.
    Twas fatty, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Which hospital you in mate?
    I'm up the Heath still on my 16th day.
    Heath,ward B1, currently in a ward with COVID!!

I have been in since August 15th so just over 4 months, but there now a hope that I will be discharged next week. I am getting to be a whiz on a zimmer and hope to start walking on a crutch or a stick tomorrow.
    When do you expect to get out Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Heath,ward B1, currently in a ward with COVID!!

I have been in since August 15th so just over 4 months, but there now a hope that I will be discharged next week. I am getting to be a whiz on a zimmer and hope to start walking on a crutch or a stick tomorrow.
    When do you expect to get out Bob?
    all the best elwood i too spent 14 weeks in hospital a few years back ,from what you posted sounds similar to me, good luck mate

I actually got out late last night Tuesday.
    I'm going to be off work until at least after Xmas as I drive a taxi for a living and I can't get any balance yet when I walk or just sit up.
    It's like I've had 10 pints of beer even just sat in the car as a passenger on the way home yesterday.

Great news your getting out hopefully mate.
    I was getting quite fond of the cake and custard with the two main meals. 😂😂

I'd have popped up and visited you if I was still inside however I am unable to drive now so hoping for a speedy recovery for you.