+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: any MacBook owners on here

any MacBook owners on here

Im looking at some older games, like sid meier's civilization , railroad tycoon , theme park tycoon etc etc , you know, nothing too graphic intensive or flash, can be the older versions

Im looking at a 15" MBP to play it on, nothing fancy, maybe 10 years old, Im comfortable to install Big Sur or Monterey on it ( if thats a game changer )

Re: any MacBook owners on here

Oh also dont mind to install a version of windows to play stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Im looking at some older games, like sid meier's civilization , railroad tycoon , theme park tycoon etc etc , you know, nothing too graphic intensive or flash, can be the older versions

Im looking at a 15" MBP to play it on, nothing fancy, maybe 10 years old, Im comfortable to install Big Sur or Monterey on it ( if thats a game changer )
    Don't install Big Sur or Monterey as they're 64Bit operating systems. Install nothing younger than Mojave as that's the last 32Bit OS Apple developed and it should run on a 10yr old MB.

You'll probably have a problem running Windows 10 so check Bootcamp will install it on your model. If it can, just go down that route and run everything on Windows as it'll be much better and give you more options with other older games.

The ones you mention will run on Mojave but they'll need lower res. and notched down graphics but they'll be playable. If there's no SSD in it, then install one as that'll turbocharge any gaming. Don'y even bother with a platter HDD it'll be awful.

The 32Bit OS is important because older games were written for those systems. The Mac may be able to run on a younger system but the older games won't.

There is a workaround for getting Windows 10 on there if Bootcamp won't allow anything higher than 7. It's just a pain.

Get Windows on it as Steam will be your friend and gives you tons of options. Google GOG (Good Old Games) too.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 11-12-22 at 19:48. Reason: More info

Oh also dont mind to install a version of windows to play stuff
    Just to be clear, the older versions of Mac games will ONLY likely run on 32bit systems which is why Mojave is your best bet. I say likely, because sometimes developers upgraded them but most won't have bothered.

Windows on an intel Mac runs really well and I used to run some pretty intensive games on a basic intel iMac 2012 model years ago when beta testing low end systems. If you've got thunderbolt ports, you can run MacOS from an external SSD so you could install Mojave on that and run your games by just booting up using the option key.

cheers

Last week I installed Monterey on a 2012 MBP ( my spare, which I mess around with ), was very easy and runs great

it looks like I can bootcamp win 10 on a 2010 MBP ( Ive seen a 2010 15" MBP which actually has a 256 SSD and 8 gig ( the max it'll go upto ) that will sell for a nothing price, which will suit me to play with )

I had a thought of using Steam before I came back on here, just fancy playing some simple old games as I m going to be travelling upto Cardiff on the train once a week, so it'll occupy me on the trip

OpenTTD which is the freeware port of Transport Tycoon runs fine on a 64 bit Mac OS for what it’s worth, other than that I agree with the rest of the advice given.

If you want to use Steam though I’m not sure if many games will support 32 bit, but maybe older ones will. I’m able to play the latest FM on my 2 year old MacBook and it’s fine even though it’s not the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    OpenTTD which is the freeware port of Transport Tycoon runs fine on a 64 bit Mac OS for what it’s worth, other than that I agree with the rest of the advice given.

If you want to use Steam though I’m not sure if many games will support 32 bit, but maybe older ones will. I’m able to play the latest FM on my 2 year old MacBook and it’s fine even though it’s not the fastest.
    cheers

Older freeware would be good any others ? ? ?

cheers

Last week I installed Monterey on a 2012 MBP ( my spare, which I mess around with ), was very easy and runs great

it looks like I can bootcamp win 10 on a 2010 MBP ( Ive seen a 2010 15" MBP which actually has a 256 SSD and 8 gig ( the max it'll go upto ) that will sell for a nothing price, which will suit me to play with )

I had a thought of using Steam before I came back on here, just fancy playing some simple old games as I m going to be travelling upto Cardiff on the train once a week, so it'll occupy me on the trip
    Monterey's a really good OS. Runs really well on older Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post

Steam on Mac will have to be running in Mojave to get the use of the the 32bit legacy library but running Windows will be fine. There'll be a ton of games.

Matt, if you're happy using Keyboard and Mouse then GOG is a really good option as they are DRM free and run without internet. I'm guessing the 15" may come with a CD/DVD drive in which case you can pick up disc copies of Windows and Mac games dirt cheap on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Steam on Mac will have to be running in Mojave to get the use of the the 32bit legacy library but running Windows will be fine. There'll be a ton of games.

Matt, if you're happy using Keyboard and Mouse then GOG is a really good option as they are DRM free and run without internet. I'm guessing the 15" may come with a CD/DVD drive in which case you can pick up disc copies of Windows and Mac games dirt cheap on eBay.
    thanks, just won the MBP, 62 quid delivered, I might just flip it and just use the Nin switch

As we’re talking MacBooks, mine is about 3 years old now and is running short on memory and more prone to not working as it should. Any tips to clean/ revive it please?

thanks, just won the MBP, 62 quid delivered, I might just flip it and just use the Nin switch

https://www.gog.com/en is great for buying older games.

I recommend getting a windows laptop though, no idea how many older games are compatible with a mac book.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    As we’re talking MacBooks, mine is about 3 years old now and is running short on memory and more prone to not working as it should. Any tips to clean/ revive it please?
    1. Double backup everything you own i.e. on two separate drives (they don't need to be SSDs).
    2. Clean install Mac OS Ventura (latest OS which will run on a 3 year-old MacBook) and will give it a new lease of life.
    3. Find a cloud storage subscription you're happy with (Apple are pretty well priced) and use that for everything.
    4. (Optional) Make a second bootable drive (again with Ventura) using your Thunderbolt port and an SSD which will effectively give you a second MBP to do all the things that aren't important and free up any hard drive space for new and bigger Apps spread across the two systems.
    5. PM me your details so I know where to send the invoice

A three year old MBP should be working fine so it's down to you filling up the hard drive too much. That'll slow it down.*

Edit: *likely to be....try my suggestions first though and if you've still got problems then there's a hardware issue somewhere but that's rare.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 12-12-22 at 18:01. Reason: More info = more money!

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post

I recommend getting a windows laptop though, no idea how many older games are compatible with a mac book.
    Not many but more than people realise. GOG is fab. Wait for sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post

He can install windows using Bootcamp so he's got a Mac and a Windows machine on the intel chips. Can't do that anymore on the new M1/M2 Apple chips but that said, they're like rockets compared to intel and will run Mac games really well.

Rescuing old Macs is good fun. Remember, a Mac is for life not just for Christmas. Still getting juice out of a 2009 MBP but it requires one careful owner.

1. Double backup everything you own i.e. on two separate drives (they don't need to be SSDs).
    2. Clean install Mac OS Ventura (latest OS which will run on a 3 year-old MacBook) and will give it a new lease of life.
    3. Find a cloud storage subscription you're happy with (Apple are pretty well priced) and use that for everything.
    4. (Optional) Make a second bootable drive (again with Ventura) using your Thunderbolt port and an SSD which will effectively give you a second MBP to do all the things that aren't important and free up any hard drive space for new and bigger Apps spread across the two systems.
    5. PM me your details so I know where to send the invoice

A three year old MBP should be working fine so it's down to you filling up the hard drive too much. That'll slow it down.*

Edit: *likely to be....try my suggestions first though and if you've still got problems then there's a hardware issue somewhere but that's rare.
    Great, I’ll have a look at those suggestions. Thank you.

The cheque is in the post….although with Royal Mail strikes it may not arrive for 15 years!

Rescuing old Macs is good fun. Remember, a Mac is for life not just for Christmas. Still getting juice out of a 2009 MBP but it requires one careful owner.
    Looks like Im going to be doing some more rescuing, my 2015 MBP this time, this evening my wife was on it doing a " online course " via Zoom and she calls me in, Whats gone wrong with the sound, looks like the Right speaker has blown ( the left went in the summer and I just muted it ) , so looks like thats a job for over christmas

Looks like Im going to be doing some more rescuing, my 2015 MBP this time, this evening my wife was on it doing a " online course " via Zoom and she calls me in, Whats gone wrong with the sound, looks like the Right speaker has blown ( the left went in the summer and I just muted it ) , so looks like thats a job for over christmas
    That's strange. I had a totalled MBP 2015 recently. Battery had expanded! Warped the base plate. Had to drill the screws to get it off. Never seen a Mac like it. 2015 model too. Maybe a bad year?

Not often speakers go either. In fact, first time I've heard of that happening. Think you may be looking at hooking up externals unless you want a fiddly job.

That's strange. I had a totalled MBP 2015 recently. Battery had expanded! Warped the base plate. Had to drill the screws to get it off. Never seen a Mac like it. 2015 model too. Maybe a bad year?

Not often speakers go either. In fact, first time I've heard of that happening. Think you may be looking at hooking up externals unless you want a fiddly job.
    As im sure you know ( I think you might have mentioned it when I was 1st looking for my daughter for Uni ), the 2015 always was ( till the M1 came out ) the must have MBP, people hated the butterfly keyboard ( that I believe came out in 2017 ) and till the M1 came out, the 2015 was the one to own

looked on YouTube, the speakers look like a 1 hour job, its something I'll tackle over winter, to be fair to the speakers, it was my own fault, the left went and I turned it down, cranked the right one right to max