+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Gas prices

Seriously, I appear to be going through about £6 per day, that's with my heating set at 19 degrees and not cooking more than I need to with my gas oven.
    I have a small 2 bed house, this is utterly insane.

Anybody got any tips on what to chec like boiler settings or something?

Surely this can't be right?

With SSE by the way....

Re: Gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Seriously, I appear to be going through about £6 per day, that's with my heating set at 19 degrees and not cooking more than I need to with my gas oven.

With SSE by the way....
    Not a lot

The ****s even put up the standing charges everywhere so even if you don't put it on the costs are higher than usual

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Not a lot

The ****s even put up the standing charges everywhere so even if you don't put it on the costs are higher than usual
    This is utterly bonkers, I'm doing £40+ on gas alone per week.

I only used to do roughly £30 per week tops on gas and leccy combined, and that was on a heavy week...

My overall rates have more than DOUBLED.

This is utterly bonkers, I'm doing £40+ on gas alone per week.

I only used to do roughly £30 per week tops on gas and leccy combined, and that was on a heavy week...

My overall rates have more than DOUBLED.
    It's mid-afternoon, so I'm guessing you work from home ? If you are, it's saving your employer even more than ever..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's mid-afternoon, so I'm guessing you work from home ? If you are, it's saving your employer even more than ever..
    ?

Why did you edit it?
    Worried it would fail to get a laugh and make you just look stoopid?

International

With SSE by the way....
    Go and work from the Birchgrove pub, they reckon anyone can go in and keep warm and doesn't have to buy stuff!

There was a recent thread on here about air fryers, Ironically The Ninja seems common.
    If you buy one with a pressure Cooker etc....you could possibly eliminate the use of your oven/stove.

Obviously there would be the increase to the electric bill.

Good luck.

With SSE by the way....
    I’m spending about £3 to £4 on gas a day but we do have a 3 story town house, having Hive is a great help for us, being able to reset the times or turn in heating on and off while not in the house so easily helps us.

Also we use the slow cooker or actifry which is easy for two of us and saves compared to an oven.

If your with Octopus and have smart meters you can opt in to “energy saving”, they will randomly email you and ask you to opt in to save energy between a certain time usually 5-6pm. Then they give you points for the amount of energy you save compared to the average. I’ve done it about 5 times, makes little difference as usually walk the dog then so just turn off a few plugs as well. Only made about £6 but every little helps.

International

With SSE by the way....
    There are tips on the internet.

Basically, if it's a combination boiler turn down the flow rate, turn the water temperature down for both water and heating, draft-proof the house etc, and turn off rad valves in rooms you are not using.

Nothing massive, it's just prices are crazy and it's especially cold, but only till Sunday.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/cutt...EaAnXlEALw_wcB

How do you insert images on here via mobile?
    Trying to post a pic of my boiler settings, not sure what's what...

With SSE by the way....
    Have you checked the flow on your boiler? Instructions here https://moneysavingboilerchallenge.com/walkthrough/

?

Why did you edit it?
    Worried it would fail to get a laugh and make you just look stoopid?
    Not sure what you're talking about re. edit, nor 'get a laugh'. Have a lie down sonny.

Not sure what you're talking about re. edit, nor 'get a laugh'. Have a lie down sonny.
    Double jumpers
    Double socks
    skins underneath
    grit your teeth til sunday

Sorry monkfish, completely mis-read your post. Sincere apologies, tired and stressed

International

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Have you checked the flow on your boiler? Instructions here https://moneysavingboilerchallenge.com/walkthrough/

Yes use this, it's quite good and shows you for various boilers

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Cheers Ninian, just checked that and mines already quite low.
    How can you turn the water temperature down?
    My water gets ridiculously hot coming out of the taps and I'm beginning to wonder if that's costing me a chunk due to the boiler constantly heating the water too much.
    Any guides for that?

Sorry monkfish, completely mis-read your post. Sincere apologies, tired and stressed
    No problem. I think there's a general air of gloominess around, but re. the heating, one long shot could be your meter. If it's the MK1 smart meter they have a reputation for errors.

£6 a day is not a lot in the winter. Works out about £180 a month. Sounds normal given the current tarriffs.

While im sure turning down water flow and water temps will save a little, we are just talking a small amount

The oldies down the road from me, phoned me and asked me to go and have a look at the boiler as they had heard turning it down could save money, they were in such a state about it, talking about getting a new boiler that was more efficient, had a gas fitter come around and give them a price for a new boiler, turned out the boiler was 8 years old , thats not a typo, 8 years old, of course the gas fitter was happy to give them a price

I said to them, while turning down the flow will save a little, it really will be a little, it did point out having the rear door open for the dog all day isnt helping, but they have always done that

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    £6 a day is not a lot in the winter. Works out about £180 a month. Sounds normal given the current tarriffs.
    I can confirm after consulting my contacts that 30 x 6 does indeed equal 180

You are sharp

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I have a tiny 2 bedroom house, very small.
    My normal outlay on gas at this time of year is around £2 - £2.50 per day max.
    When you factor in the point that I've turned my heating and radiators way down, and cut costs where I can, I would say I'm now paying triple what I normally would, if not more.

That just don't seem right to me.

I have have just switched from Octopus to Scottish Power and saved around 33% on Gas and Lecky

£6 a day on 19 degrees is about right for a small house, nothing is wrong. those just be the prices.

remember £66 a month rebate so £2 a day back end of the month.

Do you consider yourself elderly or have health conditions?

If not 19 degree's is a fairly comfortable temperature for a healthy person. I work from home and have mine set to 15 degrees, I do not find it particularly cold

But do wear suitable clothes such as warm socks, slippers and multiple layers: vest / t-shirt and hoody

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    There are tips on the internet.

Basically, if it's a combination boiler turn down the flow rate, turn the water temperature down for both water and heating, draft-proof the house etc, and turn off rad valves in rooms you are not using.

Nothing massive, it's just prices are crazy and it's especially cold, but only till Sunday.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/cutt...EaAnXlEALw_wcB
    I just turned my flow rate and rad temps back up. We lowered them and found we had to have the heating on all the time to try and warm the house.

My running hot water temp is reduced to 50

Flow rate of heating 70 degs

Rad temp 65 degs

We burn leccy more, TV's, devices, lights, air frier, electric cooker, washing machine, tumbler,, shower.

Central heating / water is our only gas.

They are trying to get my DD to £300 a month. A year ago it was £112.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    I have have just switched from Octopus to Scottish Power and saved around 33% on Gas and Lecky
    How did you manage that when all the energy companies are charging the Government Energy Price Guarantee?