+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home / Away crowds next season

Home / Away crowds next season

If we were relegated, I can’t see the home crowds being that much different to yesterday , especially if we are winning at home more frequently.

I can only speak for myself and many fans I know, but it won’t make that much difference as the support down there yesterday are the hardcore, and season tickets sales will be around the same level if priced correctly.

Away support will increase as the away days will be a novelty again.

Re: Home / Away crowds next season

Relegation will be the first nail in the coffin

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Relegation will be the first nail in the coffin
    Yep.

Yesterday's crowd of 17500 or so will possibly be the biggest of the season if we go down are doing well and it's against Plymouth

I reckon we would average about 12000

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yesterday's crowd of 17500 or so will possibly be the biggest of the season if we go down are doing well and it's against Plymouth

But but but but I thought we were a big club

Will over 5000 walk away because they are not getting championship football?? If they do so be it

Gallows humour already started where I sit - only way to cope with it if I am honest

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    But but but but I thought we were a big club

Will over 5000 walk away because they are not getting championship football?? If they do so be it

Gallows humour already started where I sit - only way to cope with it if I am honest
    History tells us the public of South Wales will support a successful cardiff city team

But going into league one is not going to get the crowds in

After two decades of championship football but the last few seasons of struggle I think if people think we are going to be getting good gates if relegated they are totally deluded

The gates where we have had very few away fans give us an idea of our base level

I reckon it's about 17000

I think a drop of 5000 if very much possible

I don't think we will go down
    But if we do, crowds will be bigger if we are in the top 2 or 3 all season 20k plus after a few months
    If we are looking at the play offs crowds will increase towards the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    I don't think we will go down
    But if we do, crowds will be bigger if we are in the top 2 or 3 all season 20k plus after a few months
    If we are looking at the play offs crowds will increase towards the end of the season
    Won't happen.
    We've never had crowds of 20k in the third tier as far as I can recall, except maybe for the play-off finals.
    Doesn't matter what position we're in, that simply won't happen.

First season I think we would, especially if we like to think of ourselves as a big club

Regardless of what the club said, there wasn’t 17500 there yesterday. Closer to 14k I would’ve guessed. That would be around our average crowds in League 1 with maybe 11k at the lowest for night games and 17k at the most for the big one off games.

If we were challenging for promotion then towards the end of the season I could see 20k+ crowds.

plymouth won't be in league one next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    plymouth won't be in league one next season.
    Fair point , but not certain yet

If they were they would bring 2500 plus more if allocated

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    First season I think we would, especially if we like to think of ourselves as a big club
    The problem is exactly this

Some people think that we are a big club but we are clearly not

If we are flattening out at 17 or 18000 in the championship then we are not going to match those gates following relegation

And I think anyone who thinks we will needs to give their heads a wobble

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Won't happen.
    We've never had crowds of 20k in the third tier as far as I can recall, except maybe for the play-off finals.
    Doesn't matter what position we're in, that simply won't happen.
    Leeds , Forest , Derby , Wednesday , Sunderland .......big clubs , loyal support

Relegation will slash our crowds and I have a bet sorted with someone on here ready to be shaked on if we do go down 👇

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    If we were relegated, I can’t see the home crowds being that much different to yesterday , especially if we are winning at home more frequently.

I can only speak for myself and many fans I know, but it won’t make that much difference as the support down there yesterday are the hardcore, and season tickets sales will be around the same level if priced correctly.

Away support will increase as the away days will be a novelty again.
    Every time we've been relegated from the top tier we've suffered a large drop in attendances. That's not unusual at all. It's more unusual to find clubs who hang on to their home support after dropping into the second tier.

Dropping from the second into the third tier is different, however.

1931/32: Div 2 to Div 3 - average crowd dropped by 583
    1975/76: Div 2 to Div 3 - average crowd rose by 2559
    1982/83: Div 2 to Div 3 - average crowd rose by 1462
    1985/86: Div 2 to Div 3 - average crowd dropped by 1302

There are some other issues as well. In the 1930s there was a huge economic depression. In 1930/31 our average crowd was just over 8k in Div 2. By 1937/38 we were averaging 20k in our 7th season in Division 3, most of which saw City struggle at the wrong end of the table.

Our crowds in 1976 and 1983 rose, helped I'm sure by them both being promotion seasons back to Div 2, but there was a malaise in our attendances accompanied by relegations and a lack of investment. It's interesting to note that, of the 4 times we won promotion from Division 4, our crowds went down in Division 3 on each occasion, bar the last in 2001/02.

Looking at the Div 2/3 issue in reverse, every time we've been promoted from the third tier to the second, our crowds have gone up, but in the second season in the second tier, they've dropped lower than the promotion season in the third tier.

Our new ground has been important in raising attendances. Only twice has our average attendance at the CCS been lower than the last season at Ninian Park, which saw its highest average attendance since 1970/71. This season's average is higher than we saw under Slade and the Trollope/Warnock season. Given all that has gone on, I think that suggests we've got a more loyal fan base than some give us credit for.

The problem is exactly this

Some people think that we are a big club but we are clearly not

If we are flattening out at 17 or 18000 in the championship then we are not going to match those gates following relegation

And I think anyone who thinks we will needs to give their heads a wobble
    The last season we spent in league 1 when we won the playoff at the MS, I think our first home game v Wycombe had a crowd of 17000, I guess maybe not much has changed in 20 years even with a much bigger ground….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The last season we spent in league 1 when we won the playoff at the MS, I think our first home game v Wycombe had a crowd of 17000, I guess maybe not much has changed in 20 years even with a much bigger ground….
    That was our first game back in that division after promotion the season before. We averaged around 12.5k that season with crowds as high as 19k for the Stoke playoff semi and as low as around 8k for the visit of Colchester, though in fairness, that was the 3rd home game in just over a week.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We had a bigger crowd v Wycombe in league one than we did against Bradford City in the championship a year later

That was the day I think I felt all this talk about us being a big club was nonsense

We had a bigger crowd v Wycombe in league one than we did against Bradford City in the championship a year later

That was the day I think I felt all this talk about us being a big club was nonsense
    But historically, moving from the third to second tier has never done a great deal for our attendances. Quite a few clubs similar to us as well.

It's worth pointing out that our crowd in that first season back in the second tier saw an increase in average attendance of nearly 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But historically, moving from the third to second tier has never done a great deal for our attendances. Quite a few clubs similar to us as well.
    When we were last in the top flight we lost around 8 thousand fans once we were relegated

If clubs with greater support than us lose thousands of fans when relegated from the championship to league one why do you think we are going to be any different

It's likely our average this season is going to be around 18000

If we are relegated I predict an average gate of 12000

When we were last in the top flight we lost around 8 thousand fans once we were relegated

If clubs with greater support than us lose thousands of fans when relegated from the championship to league one why do you think we are going to be any different

It's likely our average this season is going to be around 18000

If we are relegated I predict an average gate of 12000
    Name all these clubs who lose thousands of fans when they go down to League 1. Please.

Name all these clubs who lose thousands of fans when they go down to League 1. Please.
    The only one to be concerned about is us

That's my prediction

Twenty quid to a charity of your choice

The only one to be concerned about is us

That's my prediction

Twenty quid to a charity of your choice
    You'd better put it in an envelope ready. I'm still amazed how you're prepared to ignore all the statistical evidence and stubbornly go with what you believe, something you regularly accuse those who you disagree with politically.

You'd better put it in an envelope ready. I'm still amazed how you're prepared to ignore all the statistical evidence and stubbornly go with what you believe, something you regularly accuse those who you disagree with politically.
    12,000 average , we would probably sell that in season tickets alone