+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Central heating help!

Central heating help!

My Mothers central heating has packed in. Her hot water is fine though. Also the tap on the sink and the toilet flush are making a rumbling noise when used. This all started today when she turned her electric 'fake fire' on and the plug blew and tripped all the sockets. I reset the sockets but still no central heating.
    Are any of these things related or is she just having a sh1t day

Re: Central heating help!

the noise from the tap and the toilet is something else

I wonder if the fuse to the heating pump went, I would look at the fuse on the pump, or maybe the power to the boiler went ( when the power tripped ) and it needs to be reset / restarted

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the noise from the tap and the toilet is something else

I wonder if the fuse to the heating pump went, I would look at the fuse on the pump, or maybe the power to the boiler went ( when the power tripped ) and it needs to be reset / restarted
    Thanks Matt.
    Yeah I'm assuming the power to the boiler went when it tripped the sockets. If the fuse in the heating pump went, would you still get hot water?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Thanks Matt.
    Yeah I'm assuming the power to the boiler went when it tripped the sockets. If the fuse in the heating pump went, would you still get hot water?
    yes, as the heating pump will just pump the water around the rad's

you mention the hot water is fine, so the boiler is working, still think the fuse in the heating pump would be my 1st port of call

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    you mention the hot water is fine, so the boiler is working, still think the fuse in the heating pump would be my 1st port of call
    I've Googled 'hot water no heating' and a common fault is that the veins stop spinning in the pump. It looks quite easy to test, but I'm more D.I.WHY... than DIY

She's left a message with the guy who services the boiler, so hopefully he can sort it.

My Mothers central heating has packed in. Her hot water is fine though. Also the tap on the sink and the toilet flush are making a rumbling noise when used. This all started today when she turned her electric 'fake fire' on and the plug blew and tripped all the sockets. I reset the sockets but still no central heating.
    Are any of these things related or is she just having a sh1t day
    My mother had that noise every time she flushed the toilet and ran a tap..sounded like there was going to be an explosion.

Hers was something to do with the overflow.

Will ask her when I see her, but hopefully you get a reply sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    My mother had that noise every time she flushed the toilet and ran a tap..sounded like there was going to be an explosion.

Hers was something to do with the overflow.

Will ask her when I see her, but hopefully you get a reply sooner.
    Thanks

I'm not sure what's going on, but my mother just rang me and said the heating is working now. I'm not sure if the tap/flush rumblings are still going on though

Thanks

I'm not sure what's going on, but my mother just rang me and said the heating is working now. I'm not sure if the tap/flush rumblings are still going on though
    Pretty inconvenient to live with as silly as it sounds, always conscious of what time you're flushing the toilet one workaround was to wait for the flush to finish completely and then run the tap to wash your hands...glad to help

I've Googled 'hot water no heating' and a common fault is that the veins stop spinning in the pump. It looks quite easy to test, but I'm more D.I.WHY... than DIY

She's left a message with the guy who services the boiler, so hopefully he can sort it.
    Might also be the 3 way value ( it decides on sending the hot water to : heating , hot water or both ) might have stuck, the normal thing to try is to tap it with a hammer ( it will have a motorised unit on top, its normally a grey or blue box with a cable from it )

How hard a tap do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    How hard a tap do you suggest?
    on the side of the valve, the metal body, not too hard, like you are tapping in a small nail and don't want to miss and hit your finger

Ta.