+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cyclists on the roads

Re: Cyclists on the roads

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Why? Car drivers don't.
    Me thinks you better check that statement ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If you mean vehicle excise duty, which is based on emissions, then many drivers don't pay it either.
    Roads are maintained through general taxation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    If you mean vehicle excise duty, which is based on emissions, then many drivers don't pay it either.
    Roads are maintained through general taxation.
    So they are paying a road tax, you’ve just called it by it’s proper name

Bikes should have some form of registration and responsibility they can cause accidents ,injuries, few times I've been cut up from inside from a cyclists forcing me to look his way ,break or swerve and in turn not see oncoming cars to the right , It's becoming an issue..

A couple of mature cyclists yes with lycia on once overtook me left and right crossing the roundabout towards Morisons towards tax office , other cars screamed blue murder ,they didn't give a feck . There's a certain ""were always in the right "" and arrogance sneaking into the cycling world . Being a car driver I feel most are far better aware of thier surroundings and responsibilities, than both cyclists and pedestrians. If they weren't far more deaths would occur

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bikes should have some form of registration and responsibility they can cause accidents ,injuries, few times I've been cut up from inside from a cyclists forcing me to look his way ,break or swerve and in turn not see oncoming cars to the right , It's becoming an issue..
    If cyclists were charged, for instance, £20 a year based on the weight of the vehicle then cars should be charged at the same rate, which is over a million pounds. How about that?

There are good and bad cyclists. I've used pavements when there's no room on the roads but I'm careful and dismount if I have to. And there are good and bad drivers - the (fewer) bad ones don't give you any room, don't indicate, don't give way, and - always a joy - park on cycle lanes.

By the way, could all those paying "road tax" pay a bit more to fix the roads? I'm concerned about my prostate.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    You have to remember a used bike can cost as little as £5, so a lot of cyclists, (most of the bad ones) are fairly young, inexperienced in life and danger, and a bit dopey half the time.

It's not ideal but cut them some slack we were all young once, give them some room and maybe a few beeps to let them know you are there as they'll probably have earphones in and be miles away in their own little world.

As there are no tests to take or number plates to report bad cycling expect the worst and for them to jump red lights and ignore the 20 mph speed limits, they are just another one of life's annoyances!

No, they are not really safe on the roads, I drive, cycle, and walk, and cycling is the most dangerous, I try and avoid roads and use the cycle paths and taff trail etc. Like all modes some are good, some are terrible, and most are somewhere in between.
    Bicycle registrations!!! Now there's an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Bicycle registrations!!! Now there's an idea.
    The police do f all about illegal scooters and converted electric bikes, so I can't see them doing anything about potentially unregistered bikes.

I don't think so. Road tax hasn't existed since 1936-ish.

Cyclists on road when there’s a perfectly good cyclist path surprised this has not been mentioned yet

It’s chuffing wonderful in UK compared to Poland.

Brand new unused cycle lanes everywhere, double width pavements with their own signage which hardly anyone uses.

On the roads, hundreds of Polish pensioners, dressed in black, doing 1 mph on a 1930s cycle with no lights, no helmet or hi viz. Same with hundreds of kids going to school in the morning and the worst are the hundreds on nuns (honestly)

I’m shocked that no one has been killed in my local town since I’ve been here.

I cycle around 80 miles a week. Most serious cyclists tend to adhere to the Highway Code, the issue is bad drivers who just don’t “ think bike “ and whenever I’ve encountered incidents, about half of the time they are using their phones and not paying attention to other road users.

A dedicated cycle network is probably the way forward though as it’s getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I cycle around 80 miles a week. Most serious cyclists tend to adhere to the Highway Code, the issue is bad drivers who just don’t “ think bike “ and whenever I’ve encountered incidents, about half of the time they are using their phones and not paying attention to other road users.

A DEDICATED CYCLE NETWORK is probably the way forward though as it’s getting worse.

I think they have got these in Cardiff now, there’s just not enough cyclists using them !

We’ve been over and over this, it’s a total waste of taxpayers money as they will never be busily used, like they are in other countries.

A dedicated cycle network is probably the way forward though as it’s getting worse.
    agree with all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    phew

If you moved here could she use the license here?
    i think you have to take a test here

I think cyclists and motorists can behave like idiots on the road

But I think that us drivers even though sometimes it can be a pain , need to be patient and drive with care around cyclists

Skin and bone against metal , tyres and the road is only going to lead to horrific conclusions and I want to enjoy my time on the planet not spend 3 years in prison for death by dangerous driving

I think they have got these in Cardiff now, there’s just not enough cyclists using them !

We’ve been over and over this, it’s a total waste of taxpayers money as they will never be busily used, like they are in other countries.

You think Cardiff has a designated cycle network?

What I mean is a totally separate road network with protection from all other non cycle traffic. It would take years but if they are serious about the environment ( which I doubt they are otherwise we wouldn’t be having this thread) this is what they need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think cyclists and motorists can behave like idiots on the road

But I think that us drivers even though sometimes it can be a pain , need to be patient and drive with care around cyclists

Skin and bone against metal , tyres and the road is only going to lead to horrific conclusions and I want to enjoy my time on the planet not spend 3 years in prison for death by dangerous driving
    Just happened

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4nrgewwldxo

Several lives changed forever in seconds there

You think Cardiff has a designated cycle network?

What I mean is a totally separate road network with protection from all other non cycle traffic. It would take years but if they are serious about the environment ( which I doubt they are otherwise we wouldn’t be having this thread) this is what they need to do.
    Absolutely. It's the only way forward I'm afraid.

I've stopped cycling on roads as I personally know of 2 people who have been killed and a number more who have had serious injuries due to cars. One was a young father out for a bit of exercise with his friend, and never came home, friend in a coma. Young family now without their father... Absolutely horrendous.

As you said before, mainly due to people on their phones behind the wheel, or just not giving cyclists the due care and attention they should have. Where cycle lanes are not being used and cyclists are on the roads, then you have to question how well the cycle lane functions as a serious alternative...

Sludge is right - cyclists might be a pain, but the human body is no match for a car. The vast majority of the time the car won't get to its destination any slower, despite being held up for a short while behind a bike. Overtake when safe only. Why risk somebody else's life (and the impact on yours) for a bit of irritation which ultimately doesn't make any difference.

Some of the attitues towards cyclists is quite shocking (though unfortunately not unexpected). I think driving in general got worse during lockdown, and seems to have remained poor. RIP to the poor man who lost his life yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    Absolutely. It's the only way forward I'm afraid.

I've stopped cycling on roads as I personally know of 2 people who have been killed and a number more who have had serious injuries due to cars. One was a young father out for a bit of exercise with his friend, and never came home, friend in a coma. Young family now without their father... Absolutely horrendous.

As you said before, mainly due to people on their phones behind the wheel, or just not giving cyclists the due care and attention they should have. Where cycle lanes are not being used and cyclists are on the roads, then you have to question how well the cycle lane functions as a serious alternative...

Sludge is right - cyclists might be a pain, but the human body is no match for a car. The vast majority of the time the car won't get to its destination any slower, despite being held up for a short while behind a bike. Overtake when safe only. Why risk somebody else's life (and the impact on yours) for a bit of irritation which ultimately doesn't make any difference.

Some of the attitues towards cyclists is quite shocking (though unfortunately not unexpected). I think driving in general got worse during lockdown, and seems to have remained poor. RIP to the poor man who lost his life yesterday.
    Mobile phone drivers

So many accidents waiting to happen

It's incredible how many idiots still use them

I want to be able should it happen to me to be able to say to the family ....I am so sorry your brother died but he crashed into me and it wasn't my fault

Mobile phone drivers

So many accidents waiting to happen

It's incredible how many idiots still use them

I want to be able should it happen to me to be able to say to the family ....I am so sorry your brother died but he crashed into me and it wasn't my fault
    Slightly off topic , but cycling is not only good for physical exercise, it’s up there with one of the best pastimes for mental health. An hour a day on a bike can really lift one’s mood and sets you up nicely for the day.

Slightly off topic , but cycling is not only good for physical exercise, it’s up there with one of the best pastimes for mental health. An hour a day on a bike can really lift one’s mood and sets you up nicely for the day.
    I admire those that get out and do the hours and miles on the roads , especially in the winter

Great engines , superb aerobic fitness

Generally quite skinny though ?

I admire those that get out and do the hours and miles on the roads , especially in the winter

Great engines , superb aerobic fitness

Generally quite skinny though ?
    I suppose most are that said, if you want to lean up do some cycling and eat less calories than you burn. ( that applies to any exercise) You could cycle for hours but if you eat rubbish all day you won’t lose any weight, not unless you’re fortunate in respect of your metabolism

I suppose most are that said, if you want to lean up do some cycling and eat less calories than you burn. ( that applies to any exercise) You could cycle for hours but if you eat rubbish all day you won’t lose any weight, not unless you’re fortunate in respect of your metabolism
    I enjoy walking , it's the mobile phone and boy racer mob that would stop me from getting on the bike