+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cyclists on the roads

Cyclists on the roads

Serious question, do you consider it to be the right decision to push cyclists to ride on roads, or the wrong decision?

Article on Wales online about that bloke being hit by a much larger vehicle and being killed.

This decision always gets to me, I'll be honest. I honestly think it's bad both ways.
    Firstly cyclists are at risk, and the mercy of dickhead drivers, and we know there's plenty of them on the roads...
    On the flip side, cyclists are a right pain in the bollocks to motorists, especially when they get clever and weave between traffic etc...

Not a good move was this one as far as I'm concerned!

Re: Cyclists on the roads

Wouldn't be a cure all but a good start would be to introduce a test before you let them on the road. After all, drivers gotta do it.

They should be made to wear bright yellow reflective clothing, so we can see the little F eckers .

Most of them are in black clothing

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Wouldn't be a cure all but a good start would be to introduce a test before you let them on the road. After all, drivers gotta do it.
    It's hard to tell alot of the time if a driver has passed a test or not.

I have cycled quite a lot but some of the cyclists I see these days scare me, plodding along like they are on Valium out in the middle of the rd, I’m just surprised there aren’t more serious accidents….

I'd love to cycle more but going on the roads makes me nervous, we need much more cycling infrastructure like the Dutch have.

Some of them must think they’re saving money on their energy bills by not having lights.

Push em into hedges , rivers, puddles , trees or parked cars until they show the same respect as car drivers and pedestrians are expected to deliver , why can they go through red lights , cycle across zebra crossings , take over inside , not stop at roundabouts /junctions ,give way , use pavements , drive into shops to park bikes , go through paved city centres , through banned cycle routes such as nature reserves . clog up trains and buses ,cycle two abreast .wear Lycra

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Push em into hedges , rivers, puddles , trees or parked cars until they show the same respect as car drivers and pedestrians are expected to deliver , why can they go through red lights , cycle across zebra crossings , take over inside , not stop at roundabouts /junctions ,give way , use pavements , drive into shops to park bikes , go through paved city centres , through banned cycle routes such as nature reserves . clog up trains and buses ,cycle two abreast .wear Lycra
    It's the ones wearing lycra that tend to be the more law abiding. It's the others, rushing around delivering Sludges kebabs that tend to break more rules.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Serious question, do you consider it to be the right decision to push cyclists to ride on roads, or the wrong decision?

Article on Wales online about that bloke being hit by a much larger vehicle and being killed.

This decision always gets to me, I'll be honest. I honestly think it's bad both ways.
    Firstly cyclists are at risk, and the mercy of dickhead drivers, and we know there's plenty of them on the roads...
    On the flip side, cyclists are a right pain in the bollocks to motorists, especially when they get clever and weave between traffic etc...

Not a good move was this one as far as I'm concerned!

You have to remember a used bike can cost as little as £5, so a lot of cyclists, (most of the bad ones) are fairly young, inexperienced in life and danger, and a bit dopey half the time.

It's not ideal but cut them some slack we were all young once, give them some room and maybe a few beeps to let them know you are there as they'll probably have earphones in and be miles away in their own little world.

As there are no tests to take or number plates to report bad cycling expect the worst and for them to jump red lights and ignore the 20 mph speed limits, they are just another one of life's annoyances!

No, they are not really safe on the roads, I drive, cycle, and walk, and cycling is the most dangerous, I try and avoid roads and use the cycle paths and taff trail etc. Like all modes some are good, some are terrible, and most are somewhere in between.

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Because they can get over it, a lot of drivers do the same, especially ram raiders.

As someone who used to cycle-commute in London ( ) I am appalled at the way cyclists behave and don't care about being visible around Cardiff.
    They wouldn't last 5 minute in London.

I bike everyday, Drivers could at least learn to indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    As someone who used to cycle-commute in London ( ) I am appalled at the way cyclists behave and don't care about being visible around Cardiff.
    They wouldn't last 5 minute in London.
    Around 6/7pm the Uber/deliveroo food delivery cyclists are by far the worst, how a good few haven’t been wiped out around Roath already I’ll never know

Anyone cycling on the road is either mad or brave. A significant minority of drivers shouldn't be on the road.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Anyone cycling on the road is either mad or brave. A significant minority of drivers shouldn't be on the road.
    Especially the young girls mostly that text or look at Instagram while they are driving, you can see their heads looking down then up, eyes off the road for seconds at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    True story short. Gf was going to take driving lessons...she did a few hours with a friend then did a whole day with someone else. That was it! she was ready...went to the driving center to take her test...."sorry we don't have any test instructors today"...Bam! She was given her driving license. That's how they do it in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Especially the young girls mostly that text or look at Instagram while they are driving, you can see their heads looking down then up, eyes off the road for seconds at a time!
    Next safety feature to be added to cars - cellphone blocker!

International

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Next safety feature to be added to cars - cellphone blocker!
    Good idea to be fair.

International

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    True story short. Gf was going to take driving lessons...she did a few hours with a friend then did a whole day with someone else. That was it! she was ready...went to the driving center to take her test...."sorry we don't have any test instructors today"...Bam! She was given her driving license. That's how they do it in the Philippines
    Everyone should take a UK driving test before being allowed to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Everyone should take a UK driving test before being allowed to drive.
    Don't worry..she doesn't have a car or drive...and i live abroad...you are safe

International

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Don't worry..she doesn't have a car or drive...and i live abroad...you are safe
    phew

If you moved here could she use the license here?

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    And pay a road tax.

I used to cycle on the roads a lot not anymore.
    The roads are full of pricks in 4 x 4s trying to get 1 car space in front on another person.
    I also hate driving now I'd say 90 % of the car drivers I encounter on my commute have had their brains removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    And pay a road tax.
    Why? Car drivers don't.