+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hudson on Colwill

Hudson on Colwill

This season was meant to be the one in which Rubin Colwill launched himself as a force to be reckoned with at Championship level.

At 20 years of age, we have seen flashes of brilliance which has seen fans slide forwards on to the edge of their seat during his fledgling Cardiff career.

The burgeoning Bluebirds talent was set to play a big part in this campaign, with no other player possessing the unique qualities he does, given the alchemy of his imposing frame and at times balletic feet. Indeed, against Sunderland this week for the under-21s, his free-kick to hand City the lead was sublime.

But it's been months of frustration for the Wales international, and the Bluebirds supporters who have been desperate to see him tear it up. Fans are demanding more game time for the City playmaker, but it's not quite as simple as that according to manager Mark Hudson.

He has started just one senior Cardiff game this season, against Preston back in August, as we reach the midway point. He has missed a lot of football, but he has also missed a lot of training, too, leaving him with a fitness deficit to make up.

"For Rubin, he has had 47 percent of the sessions available this season," Mark Hudson said on Friday morning. "That's something that people don't see. If we put him out there to start, we are putting him at risk.

"You're not going to see the best Rubin. We detail it to him, we don't hide it. The same with Isaak as well. It's about making sure we aren't putting them at risk and losing them long term.

"Rubin has played 76 minutes, scored a great free-kick, had some great flashes and moments in the game and that's exactly what we wanted and why we put him in the game.

"He has not had a start for such a long time. If I had started him against Blackpool, would he have been ready? Maybe not, because the tempo would have been higher. We don't want to dip someone in and not let them be able to perform. We want them to be at the highest level."

Given the nature of his injuries, brought on by his rapid growth over the last few months, it's been difficult for the youngster to grapple with.

In fact, it's led to Colwill losing trust in his body and Hudson and the medical staff have had to build that back up again to get him to a place they need him to be. And make no mistake, they need him in the second half of the season, as they look to push up and away from the relegation places.

"I can speak honestly, me and Rubin speak a lot. We have gone through his full season. He has done 47 percent of the sessions available," Hudson reiterated.

"He broke down in pre-season, because of his body growth. He then came back from that hamstring injury which he re-injured. Then we were going towards his call-up, late September, he came back from that and got injured on the back end of that.

"He missed a month and then we went through October into November. Then there was disruption and he pulled a muscle in his hip. There is so much growth in Rubin. If we had thrown him in at any point he would have been out much longer.

"I really enjoy watching Rubin play, but he has had a lack of trust in his own body. I'm not putting words in his mouth, it's something we speak about.

"He got back on the pitch before the World Cup, which is amazing, touching the ground in a World Cup game which is amazing for him and the club. Then he has been fit and available since then and this (U21s game) is the first game he has managed to start for a long time.

"It shows you, we could rush him back and throw him in, but he wouldn't have been ready or showed the best Rubin. It's our job to get him firing on all cylinders. Then, well, what a player we've got."

Cardiff play QPR at 5.15pm on Boxing Day and Colwill will no doubt be champing at the bit to help the Bluebirds start the second half of the season in winning fashion.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...Bl0qNJTmkfY35I

Re: Hudson on Colwill

Gonna be an absolute monster when he is fully grown.

Has some interesting things to say about Bagan:

"I really like Joel. He needs to push harder. He needs to want to take his opportunity," Hudson said of the left-back.

"People can say, 'Well he has not had his opportunity.' But it's every day. I've seen players take their opportunity in training and showcase it day in, day out. He needs to demand more from himself. We are trying to get that from him but it needs to come more from within.

"There are opportunities for everyone to come and showcase what they've got. You've seen selection, everyone has pretty much had an opportunity to take it, not just on the pitch, but down there on the training ground as well."

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

"I really like Joel. He needs to push harder. He needs to want to take his opportunity," Hudson said of the left-back.

"People can say, 'Well he has not had his opportunity.' But it's every day. I've seen players take their opportunity in training and showcase it day in, day out. He needs to demand more from himself. We are trying to get that from him but it needs to come more from within.

"There are opportunities for everyone to come and showcase what they've got. You've seen selection, everyone has pretty much had an opportunity to take it, not just on the pitch, but down there on the training ground as well."
    Didn’t Morison say something similar about him?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

What does that actually mean though? That he isn’t trying hard enough?

Bagan should play. That would allow O'Dowda to stay out on the left wing. He's wasted at full back.
    Colwill's problem is that we don't have a strong enough midfield to give him the free reign that he needs to flourish.
    Whittingham had McPhaill and Gunnarson to shore up the centre, while he did his stuff.
    You'd think Wintle and Ralls would be enough, but clearly they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Bagan should play. That would allow O'Dowda to stay out on the left wing. He's wasted at full back.
    Colwill's problem is that we don't have a strong enough midfield to give him the free reign that he needs to flourish.
    Whittingham had McPhaill and Gunnarson to shore up the centre, while he did his stuff.
    I think that o dowda is a better player attacking from a deeper position.

Whittingham never had Gunnarson and Mcphail to shore up the opposition.???

Take out that I dont think Mcphail ever shored up an opposition? Are you thinking of another player?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Whittingham never had Gunnarson and Mcphail to shore up the opposition.???

Take out that I dont think Mcphail ever shored up an opposition? Are you thinking of another player?
    I wrote 'shore up the centre'.
    Anyway, it might not be McPhail - my memory is not what it was!

I wrote 'shore up the centre'.
    Anyway, it might not be McPhail - my memory is not what it was!
    More Gavin Rae and Joe Ledley I’d say - not sure Gunnarsson and McPhail ever played in the same City team.

I didn't mean at the same time, though I can see it does read that way.

I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that o dowda is a better player attacking from a deeper position.
    Also a good point Dennis. 👍

Try reading all those comments but with a cheeky, east Lundern accent. It's uncanny.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Also a good point Dennis. ��
    Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Try reading all those comments but with a cheeky, east Lundern accent. It's uncanny.....
    Fanny you should say that me old cock sparrer.

We’re really hoping against hope re. Colwill aren’t we. If he does fulfil our desired optimism he’ll be a world beater, never known a player for us to be so ‘willed on’ by the fans and never known so many excuses/reasons given for his failure to kick on. I really hope it does work out for him and us but, in reality, he should have a 100+ appearances under his belt by now. Unbelievable that he’s a player who’s played in the World Cup Finals Tournament yet a couple of weeks later is still being pussyfooted around the first XI of a side in 19th place in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We’re really hoping against hope re. Colwill aren’t we. If he does fulfil our desired optimism he’ll be a world beater, never known a player for us to be so ‘willed on’ by the fans and never known so many excuses/reasons given for his failure to kick on. I really hope it does work out for him and us but, in reality, he should have a 100+ appearances under his belt by now. Unbelievable that he’s a player who’s played in the World Cup Finals Tournament yet a couple of weeks later is still being pussyfooted around the first XI of a side in 19th place in the Championship.
    Could you imagine if we Had another Aaron Ramsey coming through? People would be throwing themselves off bridges. It shows how srarved we have been of anything even half decent coming out of the Youth System. We had Ramsey, Ledley, Collins and Gunter within a space of a few years, all of them played Premier league football and were top end championship players. The reaction to them was nothing like it has been towards Colwill, certainly on here anyway.

Excuses galore from City and yet Wales don’t have a problem with picking Colwill in squads for major tournaments and he’s now played in a World Cup. We’re hearing talk about Colwill not fulfilling his promise and that may turn out to be true, but for now he’s not getting the chance to prove it one way or another.

We’re in the ludicrous situation where some pundits are seeing Colwill as the future of Welsh football after the era ending World Cup and yet his relegation struggling club, the lowest scorers in their division, seem determined to give him as little game time as possible. Another consideration in these financially troubled times is that he should be our most saleable asset, yet the way he’s being treated means his value is depreciating by the game.

It all sounds a bit odd to me. Sounds like excuses.

He's clearly not fit and he clearly wasn't fit when page took him to Qatar

Is anyone any clearer as to what injury he has because he must be playing regular football by now if he has the talent , he's not a kid

So what's going on ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It all sounds a bit odd to me. Sounds like excuses.
    Yeah, it's bollocks, they don't rate him enough. Way too much bullshit these days about young players. Didn't Colwill make 30 odd appearances during his break through season?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's clearly not fit and he clearly wasn't fit when page took him to Qatar

Is anyone any clearer as to what injury he has because he must be playing regular football by now if he has the talent , he's not a kid

So what's going on ?
    Inspector Gadget-itis

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, it's bollocks, they don't rate him enough. Way too much bullshit these days about young players. Didn't Colwill make 30 odd appearances during his break through season?
    Hoping for a decent fee maybe without playing him. All this growth stuff seems odd to me, I’ve never heard it said before, or maybe I just never noticed managers talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Hoping for a decent fee maybe without playing him. All this growth stuff seems odd to me, I’ve never heard it said before, or maybe I just never noticed managers talking about it.
    Something is up. I just think that they don't trust him as a footballer. If so, then they should just say as much and stop shitting everyone.