+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hudson on Colwill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hudson on Colwill

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    How many 20-year-old footballers who play for a Championship club have over 100 first-team appearances?
    This is a 20 year old though who’s being touted as our salvation, he’s made 55 appearances as it is, since his debut season the City have played, maybe, 125/130 games in that period. The excuses for him being unavailable seem bizarre yet the national team include him, even took him to the last Euros shortly after his City debut. So, yes, there aren’t many 20 year olds with Championship clubs who’ve over 100 appearances under their belt but, equally, there aren’t many, if any, 20 year olds with Championship clubs who’ve been to a Euros and a World Cup yet haven’t made a full breakthrough at their (19th placed) club. It is a strange situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    or maybe it's what the medical team has told them.

he's not exactly the first player of that age to lose a big chunk of a season to growth spurt related injuries
    It’s the best part of 2 seasons we’ve had these excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It’s the best part of 2 seasons we’ve had these excuses.
    Why are they excuses? If a young player's body is still growing then they're not ready to play professional football. Scott McTominay grew 10 inches after he turned 19 - Man Utd held him out of training sessions and didn't play him regularly during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Why are they excuses? If a young player's body is still growing then they're not ready to play professional football. Scott McTominay grew 10 inches after he turned 19 - Man Utd held him out of training sessions and didn't play him regularly during that time.
    Steven Gerrard had a late growth spurt I remember as well that kept him out of action for about a year

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Exactly what I thought, Morison started this growth spurt nonsense and Hudson is following along.
    Page said it as well, that's 3 managers, maybe there is something in it?

Strange how many think it's some conspiracy or something

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post

Did Page say it because they said it? Let’s be honest Page has no clue what’s going on, he was a fringe player for a few weeks. I meant another manager about their players. Unless this is specific to him and he has rare growth spurts.

Might be genuine for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post

James Rowberry also said it on EJFOF. It isn’t bollocks

I want Colwill to be a success here as much as anyone, and I think he will be once he is injury free and he can "trust his body", I still think he will be a star for us, joint top scorer last season wasn't he?

at the moment though I can't honestly say that I would start him against QPR, once he starts influencing games as a sub then I'd think about him starting games again

I thought Bagan came on leaps and bounds last season and scored some very crucial goals. Some players step it up more in actual games compared to training, surprised he hasn't really had an opportunity this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Who cares about the future of Welsh football at this moment. Just an improvement on our crap team would do.
    Aye bollocks to Cymru for a year

How times have changed. Back in the day, a young player growing was seen as a positive, it meant he was getting bigger and stronger.
    Now it's being looked at as some kind of hindrance to his development.

Hudson said:
    "It's our job to get him firing on all cylinders. Then, well, what a player we've got."

To me that statement is a bit premature. He'll need to improve his decision making (Colwill) during play and get help from some running coach to try and improve his speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    How times have changed. Back in the day, a young player growing was seen as a positive, it meant he was getting bigger and stronger.
    Now it's being looked at as some kind of hindrance to his development.

Hudson said:
    "It's our job to get him firing on all cylinders. Then, well, what a player we've got."

To me that statement is a bit premature. He'll need to improve his decision making (Colwill) during play and get help from some running coach to try and improve his speed.
    Back in the day we sent kids up chimneys and down mines. What point are you trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    James Rowberry also said it on EJFOF. It isn’t bollocks
    What is EJFOF?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What is EJFOF?
    Elis James Feast of Football podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Back in the day we sent kids up chimneys and down mines. What point are you trying to make?
    Your analogy is quite poor. I'm talking about player development and you're talking about sending kids up chimneys?

I'll just leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by 61adb View Post
    Elis James Feast of Football podcast.
    Ah, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This is a 20 year old though who’s being touted as our salvation, he’s made 55 appearances as it is, since his debut season the City have played, maybe, 125/130 games in that period. The excuses for him being unavailable seem bizarre yet the national team include him, even took him to the last Euros shortly after his City debut. So, yes, there aren’t many 20 year olds with Championship clubs who’ve over 100 appearances under their belt but, equally, there aren’t many, if any, 20 year olds with Championship clubs who’ve been to a Euros and a World Cup yet haven’t made a full breakthrough at their (19th placed) club. It is a strange situation.
    Maybe it is also, in part, an indication of the desperation of the Welsh management to get some "youth with promise" embedded into their squad structure before the old guard finally step down.

I'd guess Colwill was fifteen or sixteen (possibly a little younger) when I saw him for the first time - he's always been one of the tallest players on the pitch in any match I've seen him play. Occasionally, I'd by with the poster called Lormaski watching him and we once simultaneously likened him to Jason Fowler one time - in my case, I was thinking in terms of someone of a certain size who is a completely different type of player than you might expect him to be.

We're not talking some Scott McTominay type ten inches in two years type transformation here. Go back just under two years and Mick McCarthy was talking about how big Colwill was then. I've always been convinced that this had a part to play in McCarthy's willingness to play him in the first team at eighteen. I'm sorry,, but having seen him play just three days ago, I still don't see any evidence of Colwill having shot up since he first started appearing in City's senior side during the 20/21 season.

I'm struck by the contrast we see from City when it comes to Colwill and someone like Joe Ledley. I watched Ledley playing for what would have been our reserve team at the age of sixteen at around this time of year and then noticing the big difference in him about eight months later when I saw him at the start of the 04/05 season. All of a sudden, Joe had shot up a two or three inches and looked ready to play men's football - the transformation in Ledley in those few months represented more of a "growth spurt" than anything we've seen in Colwill since last season.

Yet, Ledley was in the first team within about six weeks of the 04/05 campaign starting and never looked back - he was in the side week i, week out for the rest of that season. In fact, although he suffered from injuries more as he got older as most players do, Ledley was barely ever injured while he was at City.

Mark Hudson talks about Colwill not trusting his body any more. Is that really too surprising when he is being forever told he has to take things easy because of these so called growth spurts he's supposed to be suffering from? Your typical nineteen/twenty year old does not have the confidence to tell medical men and women they are wrong and is far more likely to go along with what they are being told. I'm not saying that he should be told to pull himself together or anything like that, but City do seem to be cossetting him somewhat.

If Colwill was fit he would be in the team

If he was 17 and fit he might be in the team

But he's of an age now that if he was match ready he would be playing

He's an enigmatic sort of player that every side needs

So forget all the yakking , he's not fit

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's strange, but I think the strange bit is more to do with his being picked for Wales than not for City. Me ? I don't think he's good enough for Championship football in a top 6 side. Naturally too slow on his feet and has the same work ethic as Josh Murphy.But I wonder if there's something else going on here. Was Colwill the reason Morison got the sack ? Was he the player who kept complaining - via others - that Morison was a 'bully' ?
    He doesnt need to be good enough for a top 6 championship team at the moment. He needs to be good enough for a bottom 6 team.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Really, that does surprise me. I didn't think McPhail played so often under Malky Mackay - five or six matches yes, but not that many. I was convinced that McPhail barely played for us again after his Sjögren's syndrome and Raynaud's phenomenon diagnosis.
    I don't think he lasted 90 minutes in any of his starts. He even started one of the playoff legs.

Colwill or Rinamotha?

Has to be Colwill.

He's got something different

Shoulder drop , dummies , picking a pass

He's definitely got the class to be a very good player at this level

But he's struggling with fitness

It will be that which is the deal breaker not wether or not He's good enough

He clearly is

Has he ever put in a solid 90 minutes for City? And been influential for the whole game? Or at least most of it? Genuine question.

I am not convinced......too weak in challenges.....despite his size....and goes around the pitch half-mast instead of steaming forward.....His main 'claim to fame' are the two goals against Forest....I am old enough to remember many youngsters coming though at 18 -20....sink or swim...

Isaak Davies I have higher hopes for,..... IF he can renew his pace after injury.