+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren’t we scoring

Why aren’t we scoring

Answers on a postcard please

I’ve watched the highlights of last nights and whilst it’s noticeable how little our midfield is supporting the strikers even when we do get a chance it’s always a tame shot or wide.

What on earth is going on

Re: Why aren’t we scoring

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I’ve watched the highlights of last nights and whilst it’s noticeable how little our midfield is supporting the strikers even when we do get a chance it’s always a tame shot or wide.

I don't think the answer is too complicated really. We have an overall lack of quality in the forward and attacking midfield areas; only Robinson (on a good day) looks like an above average championship player.
    You then add to this a lack of confidence, which is getting worse as the goal drought goes on, and you have what we have, an inability to score.
    I suppose that a lack of tactical nouse, set pattern, structure may also be part of the problem though.

Lack of quality is an issue, lack of confidence another but we simply don’t have the numbers either, Etete is probably the only out an out striker we have.

When Allsop rolls the ball out to one of our defenders, who then squares the ball to a team-mate, who in turn plays the ball back to Allsop ad infinitum, it sets the tone throughout the side.
    Our front players are guilty of overcooking things, too many little passages of play within tight triangles, going nowhere and allowing the opposition to regroup.
    It's like we want to score the perfect goal all the time, we allow our opponents to get back into position too often.

Peter Whittingham knew how to strike a ball, if it didn't fly into the back of the net, it would require the goalkeeper to parry the ball.
    This lead to opportunities for someone to follow up and finish.
    Which one of our midfielders is renowned for good shooting - none!

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    I don't think the answer is too complicated really. We have an overall lack of quality in the forward and attacking midfield areas; only Robinson (on a good day) looks like an above average championship player.
    You then add to this a lack of confidence, which is getting worse as the goal drought goes on, and you have what we have, an inability to score.
    I suppose that a lack of tactical nouse, set pattern, structure may also be part of the problem though.
    I think Ebou Adams has been a big miss here. Supporting the front planners & getting in the box.

I’ve never heard of a shoulder injury taking so long to heal. In my other sport of motor cycle racing, shoulder injuries are amongst the most common, and riders often race with broken or strapped shoulders. We’re talking a footballer here.

Why aren’t we scoring Coz we can't get the ball into that netted thingy.

I think in modern terms it's known as a double pivot, whilst i like both Ralls and Wintle, we sacrifice attacking intent with having those 2 holding. Nothing to suggest Ebou Adams is an attacking midfielder either. We need a manager who is prepared to take risks......and i'm just the man to do it!

4 4 2 is making a come back! I'd go for O'Dowda left wing, with Bagan left back. 1 of Ralls/Wintle with Colwill, in the absence of a right winger bring back McGuiness to partner Kipre and move Ng to right back with Romeo to right wing.

Ideally we sell about 6 players

We make the wrong decisions far too often.

Decision making is pretty much shit.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    I don't think (so far) that Robinson is a confidence player. He seems well aware of his abilities and game as ****. He's the finished article. And from what I've seen that's above average Championship level. Etete on the other hand, not so much. He needs coaching. But I think he's capable. I see him as more of a supplier than a finisher. It's our forward midfield that's the problem. I honestly think we're not far from being a decent team. We just don't have any strength in depth.

The current game plan seems to include restricting any goal attempts to minimum levels . A perfect example was the last minute first half corner v Blackpool that ended up with our keeper- unforgivable. Another was the half hearted last second free kick last night with no belief to get a winner. The wide men get in good positions but can’t deliver a good ball into the danger area, if if they somehow manage it, no one has the technical ability to put the shot within the goal frame.

We don't have strikers...we don't have confident forwards, we don't have a midfield general and we don't have a proper captain that eggs on the players.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    We don't have strikers...we don't have confident forwards, we don't have a midfield general and we don't have a proper captain that eggs on the players.
    yep, agree with all that.

the woeful attack in the last two games has been dreadful.

Wrexham would thrash us right now. How come they can score so many good goals and we are so sh1t?

Someone needs a giant boot up the rear at the CCS!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I think Ebou Adams has been a big miss here. Supporting the front planners & getting in the box.

I’ve never heard of a shoulder injury taking so long to heal. In my other sport of motor cycle racing, shoulder injuries are amongst the most common, and riders often race with broken or strapped shoulders. We’re talking a footballer here.
    He had an op to clean the knee out recently.

The season we went up with Warnock was actually built on tactics around the XG theory. How do we get the ball into high value positions in the quickest possible time. At times it probably looked like direct football but it was actually penetrating football. Not allowing teams to set-up and how we can move the ball to wide areas and get wide players 1v1.

This football, is the opposite. Looks pretty on the eye because you have a lot of the ball, but none of those touches are in high value areas.

I’m not saying I want Warnock back, but the fundamentals of that style of play introduced into this team would be a start.🤷🏼*♂️

Last night it was evident that we have no pace in attack. When we did move the ball forwards we found ourselves isolated as there were no runners from midfield with enough genuine pace to concern the opposition. Philogene has been well off the pace since returning from injury and our most creative and energetic winger is playing at LB currently. The closest we got to scoring yesterday would probably be the tame daisy cutter that Mark Harris sent straight to their keeper in the first half. That shot was hit in hope rather than with any real belief and confidence is low across the front line. Rubin Colwill didn't have the pace to really trouble them yesterday. He flattered to deceive in my mind. He tried flicks and cross field passes that amounted to little and he is waisted stuck on the flank. We are a limp dick of a team when it comes to scoring and I have seen no improvement under Hudson, indeed we have gone backwards. I still think that there must have been a falling out behind the scenes with Morison as to let him go after a massive turnover of players during the summer is becoming more and more strange. But then this is the good ship Cardiff with VT at the wheel !! If anybody thinks that it is a good point in the context of the season then I must disagree. Hudson seemed delighted with a clean sheet, but then he was a defender. If you can't win , then don't lose blah blah blah. He must have told Ojo not to attempt to get forward and win the game under any circumstances as he kept falling back to protect the left hand side along with Simpson. Russell Spade really wasn't so bad after all was he? He certainly did better than Morison and Hudson when cost cutting was required.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    yep, agree with all that.

the woeful attack in the last two games has been dreadful.

Wrexham would thrash us right now. How come they can score so many good goals and we are so sh1t?

Someone needs a giant boot up the rear at the CCS!
    Thanks...not sure they would beat us ...would probably hold them to a 0-0 draw, but you want to see your team scoring goals. i'd take a 3-4 loss over a 0-0.(bearing in mind where we are in the league, go down fighting)

While I think we are a poor Championship side talk of Wrexham thrashing us is a joke.

Im sure Watters would bang in 30 goals in the non league.

There’s blind optimism and then there’s saying that a defensive midfielder who has scored 9 goals in 108 games at his last stop at lower levels and hasn’t played all year is going to be the answer to us scoring more.

There was a moment last night where Harris did well to get a run down the right channel but then in the chase, had his eyes only on the ball and didn't look up to notice Colwill running in at the far post. It showed his and the team's shortcomings. We're still a wait and watch team, wary of the mistake and being out of position for the counter. Sorry to single out Harris again who tried his best, but if we don't know what we're going to do from one pass to the next we don't have much hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    There was a moment last night where Harris did well to get a run down the right channel but then in the chase, had his eyes only on the ball and didn't look up to notice Colwill running in at the far post. It showed his and the team's shortcomings. We're still a wait and watch team, wary of the mistake and being out of position for the counter. Sorry to single out Harris again who tried his best, but if we don't know what we're going to do from one pass to the next we don't have much hope.
    No dominant defender

No midfield dog who rolls his sleeves

No creative player although colwill may take that prize

Very few chances being created and all the forwards not having any confidence apart from Robinson.......and he's not being provided with enough bullets

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    The season we went up with Warnock was actually built on tactics around the XG theory. How do we get the ball into high value positions in the quickest possible time. At times it probably looked like direct football but it was actually penetrating football. Not allowing teams to set-up and how we can move the ball to wide areas and get wide players 1v1.

This football, is the opposite. Looks pretty on the eye because you have a lot of the ball, but none of those touches are in high value areas.

I’m not saying I want Warnock back, but the fundamentals of that style of play introduced into this team would be a start.����*♂️
    It wouldn't work. To play the game Warnock wanted needs players who take chances when they come to them and aren't afraid of having a go. We scored lots of really good long range efforts under Warnock.

We haven't got the talent up front to do what Warnock did.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No dominant defender

No midfield dog who rolls his sleeves

No creative player although colwill may take that prize

Very few chances being created and all the forwards not having any confidence apart from Robinson.......and he's not being provided with enough bullets
    I’m happy with the defence other than needing a left back because of Collins injury and Bagan lack of form.

No issue with the holding midfielders either, Ralls and Wintle are more than capable, also think a decent manager would get Rimo playing in that role well instead of further forward. We lack creativity and forwards for sure but that’s a midtable squad with a conference manager and that’s what happens.

International

The best winger is playing left back for a start.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

He tore his tit off, a bit different to your average shoulder injury.

International

Attacking throw-ins, instead of throwing the ball into the penalty area and causing mayhem, we have two players double marked showing to receive the ball, we lose it virtually every time and they attack at speed, surely the very least we have five players looking to receive it and try and keep possession?