+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play-off place anyone?

Play-off place anyone?

Re: Play-off place anyone?

delusional or saying the things the owner wants to hear, as he was still talking about the playoffs recently.

I mean it's not impossible , the division is really tight, and I don't think we are TOO far from being a decent side. a few players start to stand up and be counted could make a big difference -
    I won't be putting any money on it though.

It’s not going to happen but I can see where he’s coming from. I can think of a few chances where with semi competent strikers we would’ve beaten QPR and Blackpool and possibly Stoke. That’s an extra 6 points from just the last 3 games.

That would leave us 2 points off the play offs.

Of course this is all dependent on our attackers starting to score which looks increasingly unlikely the longer we go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    It’s not going to happen but I can see where he’s coming from. I can think of a few chances where with semi competent strikers we would’ve beaten QPR and Blackpool and possibly Stoke. That’s an extra 6 points from just the last 3 games.

That would leave us 2 points off the play offs.

Of course this is all dependent on our attackers starting to score which looks increasingly unlikely the longer we go on.
    I’m worried about the other end as well, I’m not overly confident about Alsopp

Makes him look like a madman to mention the playoffs in our league position and recent form.

I for one though didn’t realise quite how tight the league was this year, always guilty of just looking at what’s around us

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    If 75 points is roughly enough to get into the playoffs, we need 48 points from 22 games at an average of 2.18 per game. In reality that means losing only 2 more games this season and winning a minimum of 14. Other permutations are possible but less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Makes him look like a madman to mention the playoffs in our league position and recent form.

I for one though didn’t realise quite how tight the league was this year, always guilty of just looking at what’s around us
    What's your job?

Would you publicly underestimate yourself and your team publicly? Or would you try and kick them on a bit by being over ambitious? Of course it's more likely we'll finish miles off them, but do you want your manager saying that. There would be another poster on here slagging him off if he'd said he reckons we're shite and might stay up cos there's 3 teams worse than us.

People are having a pop for literally **** all these days.

Thing I'll log back out, noticed my mood slip since I've been back on here

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What's your job?

Would you publicly underestimate yourself and your team publicly? Or would you try and kick them on a bit by being over ambitious? Of course it's more likely we'll finish miles off them, but do you want your manager saying that. There would be another poster on here slagging him off if he'd said he reckons we're shite and might stay up cos there's 3 teams worse than us.

All Hudson needs to say is that we're positive of climbing the table. Suggestions of playoffs make me think he's been at the fairy dust.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What's your job?

We’re five points off bottom, 3 points I think from the last five games? Sat in 20th, with a transfer embargo and a manager with no real experience.

No, he shouldn’t be talking about the playoffs. If I was a player in that team right now, I’d think he was off his trolley. I wouldn’t buy into what he’s trying to do if I thought he was mental.

Did I say he should be talking them down though?

As you’ve asked, I run a team in my job. When all or parts of that team aren’t performing I set REALISTIC targets. Which can increase as improvement kicks in.

If I were in Hudsons position I would be talking up the teams performances, how they just need to be more clinical. Trying to set expectations with the fans that they’re a unit changing their style of play and building for the future.
    I wasn’t there Boxing Day but I was at the Blackpool game, and personally I thought he played well and were robbed, I said so in a previous post.

I’m not having a go needlessly I’m just saying talking about the playoffs is just setting unachievable ambitions, and anyone who buys into that is deluded.

We’re five points off bottom, 3 points I think from the last five games? Sat in 20th, with a transfer embargo and a manager with no real experience.

No, he shouldn’t be talking about the playoffs. If I was a player in that team right now, I’d think he was off his trolley. I wouldn’t buy into what he’s trying to do if I thought he was mental.

Did I say he should be talking them down though?

As you’ve asked, I run a team in my job. When all or parts of that team aren’t performing I set REALISTIC targets. Which can increase as improvement kicks in.

If I were in Hudsons position I would be talking up the teams performances, how they just need to be more clinical. Trying to set expectations with the fans that they’re a unit changing their style of play and building for the future.
    I wasn’t there Boxing Day but I was at the Blackpool game, and personally I thought he played well and were robbed, I said so in a previous post.

I’m not having a go needlessly I’m just saying talking about the playoffs is just setting unachievable ambitions, and anyone who buys into that is deluded.
    Absolutely.

I can only think he's saying this to please Uncle Vinnie, who is probably more deluded than anyone else at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely.

I can only think he's saying this to please Uncle Vinnie, who is probably more deluded than anyone else at the club.
    Yep. Sadly despite talking of a promotion push we’re 2 points and two league positions ahead of Tan pulling the trigger again just with nobody to replace Hudson.

Even in terms of managing upwards, talking
    about the playoffs is a big error, imo.

Yep. Sadly despite talking of a promotion push we’re 2 points and two league positions ahead of Tan pulling the trigger again just with nobody to replace Hudson.

Even in terms of managing upwards, talking
    about the playoffs is a big error, imo.
    No where in that article can I see him talking about the playoffs - he merely says he is looking up and not down and a couple of wins puts them 7th or 8th - that is all

He says 7th or 8th no talk of play offs. 17th or 18th would be nice at the minute nevermind 7th or 8th

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He says 7th or 8th no talk of play offs. 17th or 18th would be nice at the minute nevermind 7th or 8th
    Opening paragraph reads "Cardiff City manager Mark Hudson says he is still looking at the Championship play-off places". Are you suggesting the author of the article invented that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    No where in that article can I see him talking about the playoffs - he merely says he is looking up and not down and a couple of wins puts them 7th or 8th - that is all
    My mistake in that case, taken off course by the op headline and only scanning the article. Talk of 7th or 8th is still pretty deluded though at the moment!

Opening paragraph reads "Cardiff City manager Mark Hudson says he is still looking at the Championship play-off places". Are you suggesting the author of the article invented that?
    Yes

Given that 6th-8th are on the same points I guess it’s not overly relevant

My mistake in that case, taken off course by the op headline and only scanning the article. Talk of 7th or 8th is still pretty deluded though at the moment!
    Exactly - it is a typical headline selected to get readers to read it or not as the case may be - no wonder managers and players give such banal answers as whatever they say gets turned into clickbait and in our case to smack the club at every turn

We need "the killer instinct" in order to avoid dropping into the relegation zone.

It doesn't look like his side are going to go on the type of run that would ensure the 6 points he is talking of. I think the most realistic combination of results might be something like a LLXXXW which might allow the side to at least put a bit of daylight between them and the relegation zone.

Basically they need to keep scraping draws and nick the occasional win. They don't have the goals to do any more than that imo.

If he keeps them up this season it'll be a relatively successful season.

Absolutely.

He’s lining us up for another crack at the PL isn’t he?

Let's get out of the bottom 8 first, into the middle 8, then maybe if we are in the right half of that middle 8, talk about the top 8 !!!!!!!!
    Because at the moment we are in a relegation battle and if Hudson thinks anything different he will not last the season

If we were in exactly the same position, but with a worse defensive record and, say, thirty two goals scored, i think talk of a possible Play Off place would be a bit more realistic because it is easier to drill a team to be better defensively than it is to up a side's scoring rate.

The fact of the matter is though that we have scored a miserable twenty times in twenty four matches (twenty five if you include the Portsmouth League Cup game). Logically, if we keep on scoring at the rate we are, we would need to probably concede ten or less goals in the rest of our league programme to stand a chance of getting into the top six. The more realistic option would be that our defensive record stays much as it is now and we up our goalscoring significantly by netting something like thirty five to forty times in our final twenty two games.

Can anyone really see us doing either of those things? I'd like to think we can up our goalscoring to a lesser extent, but by enough to keep us above the bottom three. However, especially if the transfer embargo stays in place, we will be asking a side that has shown itself to have very little threat in the final third over the course of more than half a season to discover the ability and belief to improve matters - it might happen, but I'm certainly not convinced on that score after watching our last two matches in particular.

All Hudson needs to say is that we're positive of climbing the table. Suggestions of playoffs make me think he's been at the fairy dust.
    Totally agree, talking about winning one game and scoring more goals is what we need to push the team on to do. Everything else will come from that

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If we were in exactly the same position, but with a worse defensive record and, say, thirty two goals scored, i think talk of a possible Play Off place would be a bit more realistic because it is easier to drill a team to be better defensively than it is to up a side's scoring rate.

The fact of the matter is though that we have scored a miserable twenty times in twenty four matches (twenty five if you include the Portsmouth League Cup game). Logically, if we keep on scoring at the rate we are, we would need to probably concede ten or less goals in the rest of our league programme to stand a chance of getting into the top six. The more realistic option would be that our defensive record stays much as it is now and we up our goalscoring significantly by netting something like thirty five to forty times in our final twenty two games.

Can anyone really see us doing either of those things? I'd like to think we can up our goalscoring to a lesser extent, but by enough to keep us above the bottom three. However, especially if the transfer embargo stays in place, we will be asking a side that has shown itself to have very little threat in the final third over the course of more than half a season to discover the ability and belief to improve matters - it might happen, but I'm certainly not convinced on that score after watching our last two matches in particular.
    I agree, if we had a chance of going into the transfer market and unearthing some decent signings like we did last January then we may have a better chance.

For now we need to stop falling into the bottom three, everything else is irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari_andretti View Post
    I agree, if we had a chance of going into the transfer market and unearthing some decent signings like we did last January then we may have a better chance.

For now we need to stop falling into the bottom three, everything else is irrelevant
    Winning one game seems like a huge task at the moment

Obviously the manager is doing his best and has to say the right things but anyone who thinks we can do a Nottingham forest is having a laugh 😂