+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Driving and parking in London (need advice).

Driving and parking in London (need advice).

Got a family break planned next week, was hoping the train strike would be called off but looks like I'll have to drive and leave the car on the outskirts somewhere.

The hotel is in Southwark so I'd like to avoid the congestion charge to leave the car parked for 3 days. I was thinking of parking in west London on a 'Park on my drive' type site - maybe Ealing and getting tube in an out when we leave.

Any other better suggestions and will the train strike affect 'underground trains' to Ealing? Not sure what the ULEZ zone is and whether I'll be affected.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Driving and parking in London (need advice).

You can park fairly cheaply at Hounslow West underground station. It's in west London (a few minutes off the M4) so you don't have to pay the congestion charge to get there.
    This is how the strikes are affecting the tube https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/strikes?intcmp=35779

With ULEZ zone you might not have to pay if you enter it.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...s?intcmp=52215

Check your vehicle is ok by going on the link above. My car is from 2007 and I did not have to pay going into this zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Got a family break planned next week, was hoping the train strike would be called off but looks like I'll have to drive and leave the car on the outskirts somewhere.

The hotel is in Southwark so I'd like to avoid the congestion charge to leave the car parked for 3 days. I was thinking of parking in west London on a 'Park on my drive' type site - maybe Ealing and getting tube in an out when we leave.

Any other better suggestions and will the train strike affect 'underground trains' to Ealing? Not sure what the ULEZ zone is and whether I'll be affected.

Thanks in advance.
    I have done exactly what you plan, and it’s been fine.

Checked the car against the ULEZ Zone and I'm okay so I could park in that Zone but outside the congestion I guess.

Checked out Hounslow and that's £6.50 a day which is a lot cheaper than the £140 ish that it would be in Southwark.

I recently a friend in Bath move house only to subsequently be contacted by letter that I had been fined £129 twice i.e. once for the Saturday night and once for the following day.
    Apparently, it's due to the city being a 'Clean Air Zone', something that I had never heard of before.
    After appealing on those grounds, I managed to get the fines reduced to just the £9 charges on each day - but it begs the question as to how the motorist finds out about such things (and for all I know there may be other types of zones around) in advance of leaving one's own vicinity. Is there a 'collector' site of all types of zones available anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by city1927 View Post
    With ULEZ zone you might not have to pay if you enter it.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...s?intcmp=52215

Check your vehicle is ok by going on the link above. My car is from 2007 and I did not have to pay going into this zone.
    The Clean Air Zone fees that I referred to above seems to be based on emissions rather than age of vehicle.

i drove to lords for a one day international parked in somewhere called bell street took about 2 hours after the game to find it never again drive to london

Thanks in advance.
    You could park at Elmers End, £6 a day and probably less than 20 minutes to London Bridge.
    https://www.apcoa.co.uk/parking-in/e...s-end-station/

Checked the car against the ULEZ Zone and I'm okay so I could park in that Zone but outside the congestion I guess.

Checked out Hounslow and that's £6.50 a day which is a lot cheaper than the £140 ish that it would be in Southwark.
    I use Hounslow West a lot if working in London, might not be available at weekends tho as I’m pretty sure they use it for a market on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    i drove to lords for a one day international parked in somewhere called bell street took about 2 hours after the game to find it never again drive to london
    Always take a photo on your mobile phone of the nearest street sign (if you aren't into more sophisticated metods such as using what3words).

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I use Hounslow West a lot if working in London, might not be available at weekends tho as I’m pretty sure they use it for a market on Saturdays.
    I'm going on Tuesday so that won't be a problem. My concern is leaving it overnight and are you allowed to?

I'm going on Tuesday so that won't be a problem. My concern is leaving it overnight and are you allowed to?
    Yes you can. I've done that before.

I live in London, you can park on street in Hartland Drive, South Ruislip for free and then catch the Central Line in, I also sometimes park in the Westfield Centre at Shepherds Bush, it’s about £8 a day, check it’s website.

Took the missus to Kew Gardens for the day back in June. Used a website called Just park where you can rent someone's driveway nearby. Cost 14 pounds for the whole day just 7 minutes walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I recently a friend in Bath move house only to subsequently be contacted by letter that I had been fined £129 twice i.e. once for the Saturday night and once for the following day.
    Apparently, it's due to the city being a 'Clean Air Zone', something that I had never heard of before.
    After appealing on those grounds, I managed to get the fines reduced to just the £9 charges on each day - but it begs the question as to how the motorist finds out about such things (and for all I know there may be other types of zones around) in advance of leaving one's own vicinity. Is there a 'collector' site of all types of zones available anywhere?
    to be fair, its well sign posted ( you get a warning the zone is in 1 mile, then signed to say you are entering the zone ) and the signs do say to check the website to see if you need to pay ( all cars dont have to pay )

as a side note, Bristol's also got one, it went live last month

I parked in Osterley tube station earlier this week, £7 a day is a fair price.

Thanks all for the advice - very useful as usual, will give one of the car parks recommended a go.