+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bristol robbing bas****s

Re: Bristol robbing bas****s

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I never look at road signs these days, take your eyes away and I’ll be in the back of someone or a cyclist or be done for driving without due care and attention….
    Most of them are blacked out on the way to Bristol Airport

Bristol Airport to be fair have put notice of this on their website.

Havent seen anything in our local press or news channels though and didnt know anything about it.

With so many travelling to the airport from S Wales youd thought there would have been more publicity

My sister got a fine a couple of weeks ago too.
    Trouble with these zones is that they'll receive plenty of publicity locally, but not outside of the area, so mostly it'll be non-locals who get stung.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    My sister got a fine a couple of weeks ago too.
    Trouble with these zones is that they'll receive plenty of publicity locally, but not outside of the area, so mostly it'll be non-locals who get stung.
    You can see in the map of it they have dragged the zone across by the river under the suspension bridge just to get all the traffic that comes in that way, even though you only pass through it for no time. Just head down the m5 further and cut across I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke blue View Post
    How is it some what surprising to you when I drove into this area NOT LOOKING out for road signs that tell me I owe a stupid amount of money for No reason
    So taking your advice I’m visiting my daughter in Haverfordwest tomorrow I’ll keep my eyes peeled wide open that I’m not breaking any laws
    TBF to Bristol City Council driving there is an absolute nightmare. Anything they can introduce to take some traffic off the roads is a good idea.

You are correct it is a good idea to keep your eyes peeled for road signs.

Ok mate let’s have a look at my driving record so far
    Passed my test in 1983 having joined the police that year
    Advanced police driver with skid pan experience
    Let loose on the the roads of Britain due to a lot of good Luck 3 points on my license in all that’
    Time for speeding never been involved ina road traffic accident so you sanctimonious little person look out for your little road signs
    Typical copper. Doesn’t like it when their faults are pointed out. With all that training under your belt I’m amazed you never taught to observe road signs.

I drive into Bristol fairly regularly and to be fair to Bristol City Council, there are plenty of warning signs before you get to the Clean Air Zone. Sorry you got done, it’s a total rip off.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    There is a way to avoid this Legal Theft Charge, and that is by going over the Avon Bridge on the M5 and taking the Gordano Services exit. Take the A369 and then the first turning on the right off it. There are several routes you can take the airport from here It takes you through country lanes and adds about 20 or so minutes onto your journey, but it is worth it to avoid being ripped off. Depending on the time of your flight and the return one also, there are several nice country pubs to have a meal in on the way to the airport. I have done this route, as will friends of mine in a couple of weeks.

It beggars belief that Bristol City Council spent millions developing a route to Bristol airport to bypass driving through south Bristol and then start to charge those flying to and from the airport to use this route. I guess they know that there are literally tens of thousands of holiday makers every year heading to the airport from South/West Wales, Gloucestershire and the Midlands and think they can rub their greedy little thieving hands together, by having everyone pay for using the main access roads to the airport. F*ck 'em use this other route.
    Yes, Google Maps must introduce avoid Council Rip OFF routes if they don't already.

It's not for the environment it's a money-making scheme, and people will drive further around and pollute more.

International

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    The motorist is a cash cow.50 mph on M4.20 MPH in Cardiff.Who needs 6 gears on a car these days.A milk float would be a better choice.
    Trying to make driving so miserable that people won't bother and will give up their cars.

Bus lanes are mostly to cause frustration, they are getting harder to spot and people are paying a fortune in fines, if they really don't want cars in them paint the road red or with stripes or something, they won't because they like the cash from fines.

International

Mate didn’t honestly know about £9 charge would have paid it beforehand if I was aware £120 if you don’t pay it within 28 days 50 % discount if paid within 28 days hence £60 plus £9 original fee
    First-year while people are getting used to it they should reduce the penalty to about £60, that would be a lot fairer.

International

How is it some what surprising to you when I drove into this area NOT LOOKING out for road signs that tell me I owe a stupid amount of money for No reason
    So taking your advice I’m visiting my daughter in Haverfordwest tomorrow I’ll keep my eyes peeled wide open that I’m not breaking any laws
    Give him a break, he left a useful message warning fellow bluebirds, he wasn't aware and missed the signs and now is getting robbed blind.

To be fair the vast majority of vehicles are not going to be affected.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Bristol Airport to be fair have put notice of this on their website.

Havent seen anything in our local press or news channels though and didnt know anything about it.

With so many travelling to the airport from S Wales youd thought there would have been more publicity
    They will be targeting Welsh airport traffic no doubt, if Drakeford could some flights into Cardiff we could keep the money in Wales!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    To be fair the vast majority of vehicles are not going to be affected.
    Agreed but the people who are with older cars can probably least afford it, but I suppose I can see the logic, drive the old cars off the road first.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I never look at road signs these days, take your eyes away and I’ll be in the back of someone or a cyclist or be done for driving without due care and attention….
    I don’t know how anyone isn’t focused solely on their speedometer to notice road signs

International

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Typical copper. Doesn’t like it when their faults are pointed out. With all that training under your belt I’m amazed you never taught to observe road signs.
    Explains a lot, they leave the burglars crack on and drive around looking for easy targets like motorists doing 23mph, I used to go down rhiwbina hill faster than that on my skateboard.

It won’t be long until it’s introduced here

Drakeford is pushing for more public green infrastructure and its here to stay

Bristol always comes out as one of the worst cities in the UK for congestion but they never seem to be able to do anything to sort it. Public transport is crap, not helped by having a train station that's not in the centre of the city. It's talked about a tram system many times but has never done it, and is now talking about an underground system which will obviously never happen. The clean air zone is the latest effort to reduce car driving in the city but comes at exactly the time when bus services are being slashed. You've got to provide a viable alternative to driving if you want people to ditch their cars.

I'm all for clean air zones, think they're a great idea. The fumes and pollution in inner city areas causes real health problems for lots of people.

But the whole point of them is meant to be that they target built up residential areas. Judging from some of the comments , the Bristol example has been extended further than it should to earn some extra money. Really poor from Bristol council if this is the case.

My understanding is that the zone could have easily been adjusted to avoid the airport road (and still could be), but the Council chose not to. So was it done on purpose, to catch holiday makers? Yes, it was.

Just out of interest, I went on their website, and there is a link on there to check whether or not your vehicle would be charged. So, I checked my own car. I drive a 2008 Audi A5 petrol, and according to the site, I would not be charged - nor in any of the many other 'Clean Air Zones' around the UK. I was quite surprised by this - I mean, it's a nice car and all that, but it's still 14 years old, and I thought it would get hit with a fee. But no - under the current rules, it would not be charged.
    The OP says he has a 4 year old Peugeot, yet he got charged. I wonder if it's a diesel? Are these areas hitting diesel drivers the most?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Just out of interest, I went on their website, and there is a link on there to check whether or not your vehicle would be charged. So, I checked my own car. I drive a 2008 Audi A5 petrol, and according to the site, I would not be charged - nor in any of the many other 'Clean Air Zones' around the UK. I was quite surprised by this - I mean, it's a nice car and all that, but it's still 14 years old, and I thought it would get hit with a fee. But no - under the current rules, it would not be charged.
    The OP says he has a 4 year old Peugeot, yet he got charged. I wonder if it's a diesel? Are these areas hitting diesel drivers the most?
    I have a 59 registered car it also states no charge for my vehicle it is petrol driven, can I 100% trust the site that I will not be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    I have a 59 registered car it also states no charge for my vehicle it is petrol driven, can I 100% trust the site that I will not be charged.
    There are a surprising number of petrol cars exempt. Not so good for diesels. Might be worth taking a screenshot just in case.

Checked my car as well and have got the ‘no charge’ all clear. Drive quite frequently to Bristol Airport so am aware of the route etc, it’s the blacking out of the signs on the M49 (and they’ve been blacked out for a few years) that’s could confuse new travellers, is the clean air zone sign one of these anonymous signs?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    It is right just, mine is ok too, but I expect they will add more modern cars when they like because they can, so I'll double-check before the next visit.