+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Robson

Bryan Robson

Just watched the Robbo documentary, obviously missed it when it was released in 2021.

What a ****ing player. Didn’t realise / remember how good he was.

Really enjoyed it. Recommended to anyone else who hasn’t seen it.

Re: Bryan Robson

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Just watched the Robbo documentary, obviously missed it when it was released in 2021.

Easily my favourite footballer. I was always Robbo on Heath Park when we knocked it about as kids!

I was born up near Manchester and went to Old Trafford a lot as a kid so saw him play live many times. Outstanding and inspirational player and captain who constantly put his body on the line. Met him once and was rather star struck!

He was a midfielder in the truest sense that he could do anything in the middle third of the park, along with most things in the other two thirds! Too many players these days are classed as holding, sitting or attacking midfielders. He was all of these in one.

Had he not been injured in 1986 and 1990, England could have won either of those world cups.

Thought he was over rated myself - it was a standing joke in our house how you knew he was going to be nominated as man of the match before a ball was kicked.

Absolutely brilliant world class midfielder. Far too brave for his own good.

its been mentioned above, wasnt afraid to put his body on the line, always got stuck in, lets be honest, we love a player who does that

I always look at that Maradona second goal v England and notice how Peter Reid just let Diego go away from him. Reid was Robson’s replacement, after he done his shoulder in the group stage. No way Robson would have let Diego do that to him.

Gazza was a step up

I’ve said this before on a recent thread re. Robson..too brave/daft for his own good, so many, perhaps, unnecessary injuries from flying into lost causes. Bit of a couple of flippant/cruel questions....Did the drink have something to do with mistiming recklessness? Was Ferguson wary of moving him on due to his undenied ‘Captain Marvel’ status? He was certainly a main member of the Old Trafford Social Society that Fergie was keen to dismantle yet hung on a few seasons more than others.

My abiding memory of Robson is him being withdrawn with a dislocated shoulder a few minutes into England's first World Cup game in 1986 against Morocco. Having suffered the same injury myself playing Sunday League football I couldn't understand why he was picked for the England squad, especially as he'd had a recurrence of the injury in one of their warm up games just before the tournament began. Unless the shoulder is pinned and allowed time for the ligaments to heal, it is always likely to 'pop out'.

A very good domestic player but world class ? Not for me.

I could be wrong but I thought the phrase "box to box midfielder" was coined after him.

where;s the best place to find this documentary ?

He was my favourite player as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    where;s the best place to find this documentary ?
    Amazon Prime free if you're a subscriber.

Great player, world class. Better than Gerrard, Keane or Lampard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

I need to watch it now you have said that. Robson sort of passed my by a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Not too sure about that, football was a bit more brutal back then though. He was a warrior though and a winner, a bit like Roy Keane.
    Never see him doing punditry or anything though, what does he do?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve said this before on a recent thread re. Robson..too brave/daft for his own good, so many, perhaps, unnecessary injuries from flying into lost causes. Bit of a couple of flippant/cruel questions....Did the drink have something to do with mistiming recklessness? Was Ferguson wary of moving him on due to his undenied ‘Captain Marvel’ status? He was certainly a main member of the Old Trafford Social Society that Fergie was keen to dismantle yet hung on a few seasons more than others.
    I read Paul McGrath’s autobiography. (A must read) He says in that, that Robson, McGrath and Whiteside were basically the main drinkers at Old Trafford, but Robson would still train as if he was a tea totaller.
    Ferguson couldn’t wait to get rid of Whiteside and McGrath.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not too sure about that, football was a bit more brutal back then though. He was a warrior though and a winner, a bit like Roy Keane.
    Never see him doing punditry or anything though, what does he do?
    He does an ambassadorial role for Man United. His managerial career went tits up after West Brom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I need to watch it now you have said that. Robson sort of passed my by a little.
    No ubiquitous football on the TV during the 80s so he wasn't rammed down the throat as much as 90s/00s players. Robson wasn't at his peak by the time Sky turned up and hyped the levels.

That's my theory anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thought he was over rated myself - it was a standing joke in our house how you knew he was going to be nominated as man of the match before a ball was kicked.
    Stick to owl worshipping if that’s your viewpoint on Robbo old bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    I read Paul McGrath’s autobiography. (A must read) He says in that, that Robson, McGrath and Whiteside were basically the main drinkers at Old Trafford, but Robson would still train as if he was a tea totaller.
    Ferguson couldn’t wait to get rid of Whiteside and McGrath.
    Tea totaller, that tickled me:

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Tea totaller, that tickled me:
    Pmsl. He didn’t use that term in the book in fairness, couldn’t remember the exact wording lol

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Stick to owl worshipping if that’s your viewpoint on Robbo old bean
    Robbo ?

Are you a closet United fan ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Pmsl. He didn’t use that term in the book in fairness, couldn’t remember the exact wording lol
    It was the spelling that tickled me, ‘tea’