+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Now I know what it feels like to watch your side play with a lack of hope.

Now I know what it feels like to watch your side play with a lack of hope.

Mark Hudson struggling to succeed in what is a huge and testing task.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Now I know what it feels like to watch your side play with a lack of hope.

This is it in a nutshell Paul.

Not all, but most of these opportunities were made harder by poor decision making or faulty technique, but the lack of confidence is there in how extra touches by defenders and midfielders slow movement of the ball down – this is one of the factors in the lack of chances being created, but then, when they are, the forward players are too eager to get shots away so they are never as effective as they are when hit calmly and with confidence.

The football and the way we play is so predictable and tedious. Apart from that period when McCarthy played 5 centre backs this is the worst football ive witnessed since the dark days of the 80s and 90s.

We are trying to play some sort of passing game (i think) but we are really not very good at it. If our players do manage to successfully pass it around sufficiently well at a slow pace to get in the final 3rd the opposition have normally re grouped and have got players behind the ball and we are then we dont have the abilty to be any threat whatsoever.

From being a feared team at set pieces for years the opposition would have been wary about set pieces or corners against us. Thats all gone as well. Yesterday we won a number of corners and some set pieces in dangerous positions but Blackburn werent concerned at all like every side we play. We were almost certainly the most dangerous side at set pieces for years. Thanks to the side Morison built we are almost certainly the worst.

Then of course we have the problem when we do get chances we are not very good at finishing. Of our strikers only Robinson looks a good championship player and I dont think hes a natural finisher. His substitution yesterday was ridiculous.

Mark Hudson I really want him to succeed and by succeed 21st will do.

But I think with a poor squad we need a good manager and we also need to look forward and rebuild what has been as bad or even worse than Warnocks last one.

I really dont think our ownership or board have any long term plan or vision and will just stick with the cheap option.
    With no buy out likely its going to be a tough few years I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The football and the way we play is so predictable and tedious. Apart from that period when McCarthy played 5 centre backs this is the worst football ive witnessed since the dark days of the 80s and 90s.

We are trying to play some sort of passing game (i think) but we are really not very good at it. If our players do manage to successfully pass it around sufficiently well at a slow pace to get in the final 3rd the opposition have normally re grouped and have got players behind the ball and we are then we dont have the abilty to be any threat whatsoever.

From being a feared team at set pieces for years the opposition would have been wary about set pieces or corners against us. Thats all gone as well. Yesterday we won a number of corners and some set pieces in dangerous positions but Blackburn werent concerned at all like every side we play. We were almost certainly the most dangerous side at set pieces for years. Thanks to the side Morison built we are almost certainly the worst.

Then of course we have the problem when we do get chances we are not very good at finishing. Of our strikers only Robinson looks a good championship player and I dont think hes a natural finisher. His substitution yesterday was ridiculous.

Mark Hudson I really want him to succeed and by succeed 21st will do.

But I think with a poor squad we need a good manager and we also need to look forward and rebuild what has been as bad or even worse than Warnocks last one.

I really dont think our ownership or board have any long term plan or vision and will just stick with the cheap option.
    With no buy out likely its going to be a tough few years I think.
    What was particularly annoying there is that in the second half we put in a number of very good deliveries from set pieces, Rinomhota bottling out of a free header was criminal

Earnie mentioned at half-time that Cardiff don't have natural goalscorers and he was spot on. If you look at the players we signed in the summer only Robinson has ever managed double figures in a season, the next best is O'Dowda with 8 for League 2 Oxford in 2015/16. We also don't commit anywhere near enough numbers to the box going forward to make up for this.

A positive from the game though is that Colwill was finally put in the middle and looked decent, the only one trying to make things happen

I, for one, haven't forgotten the tedious football played in recent seasons where we've looked awful in open play, hoping to win freekicks and corners. Burnley are only marginally better than us with set pieces and it doesn't affect them.

Delivery of the ball into the box at set pieces isnt the issue. The presence we have in the box is. We are a soft touch.

The other thing concerning set pieces is that they don't always have to be thrown in to the box, they can be worked. It's ****ing baffling to see us concede possession time after time from the set piece by putting it long all of the time. The next best thing, you would hope, is the ability to pick up the 2nd ball, but we don't do that either. What in gods name is going on with the coaching, tactics etc? It's plain for all to see that we fail constantly from set pieces yet we continue to do the same thing. Is it because they're all really stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The other thing concerning set pieces is that they don't always have to be thrown in to the box, they can be worked. It's ****ing baffling to see us concede possession time after time from the set piece by putting it long all of the time. The next best thing, you would hope, is the ability to pick up the 2nd ball, but we don't do that either. What in gods name is going on with the coaching, tactics etc? It's plain for all to see that we fail constantly from set pieces yet we continue to do the same thing. Is it because they're all really stupid?
    Yes I agree. We did try a couple of short ones later on. But they clearly dont work on anything as they broke down as well.

We often kick off a game by passing the ball directly back from the centre circle to Allsop. What a signal of our lack of intent is that, it sets the tone for the rest of the game immediately.

Also, how many times do we get a throw-in level with the opposition penalty area, only to see it back at Allsop's feet within 3 touches!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I, for one, haven't forgotten the tedious football played in recent seasons where we've looked awful in open play, hoping to win freekicks and corners. Burnley are only marginally better than us with set pieces and it doesn't affect them.
    Now we are awful in open play and at set pieces.

Changing the style to more of a passing didnt mean we had to become useless at set pieces as well.

Burnley have a much better squad than us and score goals.

This. Its grim at the moment, but I couldn't take another season of being completely outplayed by just about every team in the league, just hoping to get something by sending some carthorse up for long throws and corners and aiming to scramble a goal.

Some of our pass and move football was good to watch earlier in the season, even if we lacked a cutting edge. At the moment, we're not even passing the ball well, suggesting the players have lost confidence in doing the basics. For the record, I think our set piece delivery has been pretty good this season- perhaps the same lack of confidence is stopping players attacking the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    This. Its grim at the moment, but I couldn't take another season of being completely outplayed by just about every team in the league, just hoping to get something by sending some carthorse up for long throws and corners and aiming to scramble a goal.

Some of our pass and move football was good to watch earlier in the season, even if we lacked a cutting edge. At the moment, we're not even passing the ball well, suggesting the players have lost confidence in doing the basics. For the record, I think our set piece delivery has been pretty good this season- perhaps the same lack of confidence is stopping players attacking the ball.
    Good post, sadly I think all of the talk from the club after Morison was sacked about Hudson wanting to play in a more attacking style was nothing more than spin. Our play is getting more and more “attritional” and dull - for all the good that it’s doing.

A complete lack of hope on the pitch and the loss of the will to live by the poor sods travelling to places like Blackburn to watch it

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post

Bingo. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    What was particularly annoying there is that in the second half we put in a number of very good deliveries from set pieces, Rinomhota bottling out of a free header was criminal

Earnie mentioned at half-time that Cardiff don't have natural goalscorers and he was spot on. If you look at the players we signed in the summer only Robinson has ever managed double figures in a season, the next best is O'Dowda with 8 for League 2 Oxford in 2015/16. We also don't commit anywhere near enough numbers to the box going forward to make up for this.

A positive from the game though is that Colwill was finally put in the middle and looked decent, the only one trying to make things happen
    I don’t think he bottled out of that header in the box. Like most of his team mates, he just isn’t good enough to head a cross.

Now we are awful in open play and at set pieces.

Changing the style to more of a passing didnt mean we had to become useless at set pieces as well.

Burnley have a much better squad than us and score goals.
    But they pass the ball well and don't rely on set pieces. Surely that's the ultimate target, or are you still wanking off to the thought of long ball football?

But they pass the ball well and don't rely on set pieces. Surely that's the ultimate target, or are you still wanking off to the thought of long ball football?
    Calm down.

Everytime I mention the fact we are useless at set pieces you seem to get wound up.

The ultimate target should be to play winning entertaining football.

At the moment we are nowhere near either and heading for the lower leagues. Taking away our main goal threat completely has been a disaster.

You seem not bothered by that and seem to believe it shows our move away from hoofball. Its perfectly possible to play a more passing game and be good at set pieces.

As it stands we are crap at passing it and unbelievably even worse from set pieces. Its no wonder we cant score goals and heading for L1.

For the record I dont want to watch aimless hoofball. Its perfectly possible to be better on the ball and pose a set piece threat. Unfortunately the put together squad isnt any good at either.

442 and get it launched is on its way back, you only have to see Man City launching it to Halland. We were just ahead of the curve and didn't realise it! By the time we get our high press, passing game set, we'll be 5 years behind everybody else again

To be successful you need a combination of the two, the ability to play a possession based game along with carrying a threat from set pieces. Warnock’s promotion team had that although it grew more towards the aerial side as the season went on. The trouble we have now is that we aren’t good at either aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    To be successful you need a combination of the two, the ability to play a possession based game along with carrying a threat from set pieces. Warnock’s promotion team had that although it grew more towards the aerial side as the season went on. The trouble we have now is that we aren’t good at either aspect of the game.
    I think you mean they aren't good at football.

My over simplified interpretation.

I think you need to be organized at defending set pieces, the numbers are negligible for attacking (hence why you don't want to be that team defending). We have Colwill who has that range for direct ones but other than that you are really in the low margins at our level and above.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    442 and get it launched is on its way back, you only have to see Man City launching it to Halland. We were just ahead of the curve and didn't realise it! By the time we get our high press, passing game set, we'll be 5 years behind everybody else again
    They don't launch it to Haaland, they pick him out with an accurate ball.

There's a difference, and sadly we can't do the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

We have been dreadful at set pieces ever since Morison was appointed. The throw ins are an absolute joke. We are a side of shrimps as well, which doesn't help.

I'd play Colwill as a 10 behind Davies/Etete and Robinson in a back 5. A back 5 means we can play O'Dowda and Romeo at wing back, and then Ralls and Wintle can basically play in the back 5, while the front 5 of O'Dowda, Davies, Colwill, Robinson and Romeo attack. This does mean we need to get McGuinness back, or sign Morrison/another centre back because **** playing Jack Simpson. If we play a front 3 with wingers in that formation, we might as well pack up and go home as there's no way we'll create anything.

I'd probably sign Connor Wickham on a free, worth a go. He is better than Harris, Whyte and Watters, which isn't saying much but we are where we are.

Just a couple of thoughts - like pretty much every side nowadays the threat usually comes from the wings. We were doing OK until recently but now O'Dowda rarely gets into those positions, and when he did on the rare occasion at Blackburn he was hemmed in on the touchline by 3 or 4 Rovers' players and isolated from the rest of our players.
    The other thought is what a lump Colwill is. Not joking, he looks more like a rugby forward that a footballer. He's never going to be fast/sharp enough with his build, even if he has the skills needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We have been dreadful at set pieces ever since Morison was appointed. The throw ins are an absolute joke. We are a side of shrimps as well, which doesn't help.

I'd play Colwill as a 10 behind Davies/Etete and Robinson in a back 5. A back 5 means we can play O'Dowda and Romeo at wing back, and then Ralls and Wintle can basically play in the back 5, while the front 5 of O'Dowda, Davies, Colwill, Robinson and Romeo attack. This does mean we need to get McGuinness back, or sign Morrison/another centre back because **** playing Jack Simpson. If we play a front 3 with wingers in that formation, we might as well pack up and go home as there's no way we'll create anything.

I'd probably sign Connor Wickham on a free, worth a go. He is better than Harris, Whyte and Watters, which isn't saying much but we are where we are.
    In previous clubs Robinson played as a winger. Here he is a #10, and showed at Blackburn how much better he was in that role than when Colwill moved there and lost any cutting edge.

For now Robinson is our best bet as a #10. I don’t see that Colwill has added anything yet in his brief time on the pitch.