+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Neil Warnock

Re: Neil Warnock

I really hope not

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Whilst the hand wringers on here stand on their soapboxes and analyse the demise of CCFC we continue to sink

If we have no money and look like we are going down then a manager with a track record of sorting out a team and grinding out results is a better option than what we have now or what our fans think we might get
    We sacked the man who changed the squad completely and replaced him with his 'number two'. I'm sure the players must have thought what the hell is going on, and it's now showing in our play. Overall we're worse than when Morison was in charge - they were his players, he brought them in, and he seems to have been less of a 'soft touch' than Hudson. I don't think the players believe in Hudson, and anything or anyone to keep us up must be the policy. I'd say that rather than getting all sniffy and righteous about Warnock coming back, we should be lucky if he does.

It's a laughable U Turn if true but my general feeling is that we're screwed next season regardless of whether he comes or not.

I also don't think we'll go down if Hudson stays for what it's worth, the league is crap as are the 3 teams below us and a couple slightly above us.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We sacked the man who changed the squad completely and replaced him with his 'number two'. I'm sure the players must have thought what the hell is going on, and it's now showing in our play. Overall we're worse than when Morison was in charge - they were his players, he brought them in, and he seems to have been less of a 'soft touch' than Hudson. I don't think the players believe in Hudson, and anything or anyone to keep us up must be the policy. I'd say that rather than getting all sniffy and righteous about Warnock coming back, we should be lucky if he does.
    If we do nothing we are down

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If we do nothing we are down
    It does have that feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Des View Post
    Would be the last we would see of Colwill this season if it happens.
    The lad is 6ft 4 and quick. Warnock probably has posters of Colwill on his bedroom wall.

Whether Warnock comes here or not, it’s the inability at Boardroom level to learn from past mistakes which makes Cardiff City a basket case of a club. The longer Vincent Tan holds out against bringing in a link with football expertise between football pitch and Boadroom, the clearer this folly becomes.

Warnock should never be the answer in the circumstances the club finds itself in, especially with the current squad, but, although the club would look even more of a laughing stock than it is now, if he came in for the rest of the season only, it might be something worth doing because he’d probably deliver (he did with Rotherham who were in a much worse position than us a few years back). However, what happens then? Based on past experience with this owner, we’ll all be back discussing another Warnock return this time next year.

If the club keeps on being run as it has been for the past eighteen months or so, we’ll go down - it may take a season or two or three, but it’ll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Facebook, I’m not on it, but it was the talk of the pub on Sunday.

Him and Sol apparently
    It was a speculative post, without any substance, by a former poster on here who now runs their own forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    It's a laughable U Turn if true but my general feeling is that we're screwed next season regardless of whether he comes or not.

I also don't think we'll go down if Hudson stays for what it's worth, the league is crap as are the 3 teams below us and a couple slightly above us.
    I wish I could share your optimism, I really do, but we are being dragged towards certain relegation as things stand. There is little to suggest otherwise at present. Returning to Neil Warnock would be just about the best appointment we can make under the circumstances and given our financial restraints etc. I cannot believe that I've just typed that but that's the reality of the situation. Who else is available, experienced in saving Championship sides from relegation and would be happy to work under a transfer embargo? Steve Bruce perhaps.

I also keep reading that relegation would be a disaster but would it and why? Is there any more danger of VT placing the club into administration by withdrawing financial support than there is in the Championship? Surely his pride would prevent that happening no matter the division the team are in. Why then would a relegation be the end of the world? Blue in league 2 etc. Who is to say that we would suddenly sink back into league 2 anyway? There is no guarantee that this is the path the club would take, like in the 80s. Who knows, there may be a season of winning football and trips to grounds old and new. Which might be very enjoyable after the dross of the last few seasons.

As an aside I see that the Cowley brothers were sacked from Portsmouth yesterday. It wasn't so long ago that they were being touted as the next great thing and were linked to Cardiff from memory. How their stars have waxed and waned in just a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    I wish I could share your optimism, I really do, but we are being dragged towards certain relegation as things stand. There is little to suggest otherwise at present. Returning to Neil Warnock would be just about the best appointment we can make under the circumstances and given our financial restraints etc. I cannot believe that I've just typed that but that's the reality of the situation. Who else is available, experienced in saving Championship sides from relegation and would be happy to work under a transfer embargo? Steve Bruce perhaps.

I also keep reading that relegation would be a disaster but would it and why? Is there any more danger of VT placing the club into administration by withdrawing financial support than there is in the Championship? Surely his pride would prevent that happening no matter the division the team are in. Why then would a relegation be the end of the world? Blue in league 2 etc. Who is to say that we would suddenly sink back into league 2 anyway? There is no guarantee that this is the path the club would take, like in the 80s. Who knows, there may be a season of winning football and trips to grounds old and new. Which might be very enjoyable after the dross of the last few seasons.

As an aside I see that the Cowley brothers were sacked from Portsmouth yesterday. It wasn't so long ago that they were being touted as the next great thing and were linked to Cardiff from memory. How their stars have waxed and waned in just a couple of years.
    I wouldn't say it's optimism if I'm honest, maybe it's a bit of apathy (which is worse than negativity I think!) but I just feel like it's a matter of time until we go down with the current set up above manager level. I do genuinely think we will stay up even with no change of manager but it says a lot more about the Championship than Cardiff I think. But it's not really anything to celebrate if we do pull away and finish 17th as next season will be just the same and eventually there will be a season where we are one of the worst 3 in the division.

Relegation being a positive always seems a bit of a stretch for me, clubs like Sheff United and Southampton it was a positive as they could clear themselves of big earners and start again, had a system in place. We don't really have any of that, I think we're more likely to go the way of Ipswich and Bolton.

The only positive of it (apart from some new away grounds for a year) will be if it forces Tan to sell but I feel like he would do an interview stating he is fully committed to taking Cardiff to the PL whilst we are 14th in League One in December.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Which is great, but who saves us next season when we are in the same shite? The root of the problem is there is no long term plan beyond panic and change the manager and let him spend a few quid.

Eventually the downwards spiral will be too difficult to get out of, even if panic hiring a 74 year old works this time.
    We don’t plan do we, just get through current sh*tshow then on to the next one a few months later when the latest masterplan fails….

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Glen Williams seems to say a lot without actually saying anything. I'm not sure what the intention is by informing us that Dalman and Warnock remain in "fairly regular contact". That in itself is of no surprise. There is little in his article any better than speculation you may read on this message board. He does seem to be something of a mouthpiece for Dalman though so perhaps he's been tipped the wink that Warnock is genuinely being considered. Perhaps so fan reaction can be assessed? You do wonder if Dalman has an agenda that may not be aligned with Tan.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I wouldn't say it's optimism if I'm honest, maybe it's a bit of apathy (which is worse than negativity I think!) but I just feel like it's a matter of time until we go down with the current set up above manager level. I do genuinely think we will stay up even with no change of manager but it says a lot more about the Championship than Cardiff I think. But it's not really anything to celebrate if we do pull away and finish 17th as next season will be just the same and eventually there will be a season where we are one of the worst 3 in the division.

Relegation being a positive always seems a bit of a stretch for me, clubs like Sheff United and Southampton it was a positive as they could clear themselves of big earners and start again, had a system in place. We don't really have any of that, I think we're more likely to go the way of Ipswich and Bolton.

The only positive of it (apart from some new away grounds for a year) will be if it forces Tan to sell but I feel like he would do an interview stating he is fully committed to taking Cardiff to the PL whilst we are 14th in League One in December.
    I agree with you that it does only feel like a matter of time that relegation bites if the status quo is maintained. Even if a relegation would make Tan consider a sale at a lower cost than he currently desires, would relegation drive away any parties who are currently (supposedly) interested in buying the club? I have no idea as I am not a rich businessman. But I do not think Tan would allow the club to fail. If he did sell then I guess it will be a case of being careful what we wish for. Although I may actually start going away again if there are some interesting new grounds to visit. I've not been away now for around 4 seasons or so, and I've not been to a home game since Swansea last season. Much of that is to do with personal circumstance, but also much to do with my general indifference. The club needs some injection of excitement to reignite interest that much is sure. I was out with friends recently and there were 4 of us who are former season ticket holders who no longer attend matches, plus another 2 that used to come down a handful of times a season. If my friendship circle of 40 somethings is representative of the wider fanbase then the apathy is growing and won't be changing in the short term as people become more and more disillusioned.

International

The below article from a few days ago says a lot, he's lost the dressing room, it's just who and how quickly, I think Warnock will have been asked and will accept. Tan can't afford for us to go down, we are losing a fortune in the Championship as it is.

Mark Hudson apologised to his Cardiff City players for getting his team setup wrong ahead of the 1-0 defeat by Blackburn Rovers.

Hudson attempted to change the setup of his City side for the New Year's Day encounter, employing a back three and wing-backs. While they were defensively pretty sound until the Dack goal, they barely registered a single clear-cut chance on goal. Cardiff are the worst scorers in the Championship and have not won for seven games, plus only two wins in their last 13 games.

Rumours have already started that Hudson as lost the dressing room as he changed the team week after week and has played every player available from his squad.

Speaking about his conversation with the players after the match, a candid Hudson said:

MARK HUDSON:

"We've had an honest conversation in there. I'm honest with them. They are honest with me. I've apologised. I've said the change of shape, I thought we could create more but we didn't, nothing glaring.”

"I apologised to them for that. Then we changed it second half and had a bit of impetus. Players were coming back for us, getting on the pitch, but we didn't really lay a glove on the goal.

"When they go 1-0 up, they were getting bodies behind the ball and playing on the counter which is difficult to break down.

"We have probably created much less today than we have done previously in the last two. But that's me, I'll take that. That's down to me to deal with. The players have got to keep believing in what we are trying to do."

Cardiff find themselves in an unenviable position. Sitting in 20th in the Championship table and could drop
    Even further , the Bluebirds are also under a transfer embargo which drastically limits what they can do in the January window.

Hudson once again confirmed that the club were trying their best to get that embargo lifted, but couldn't provide too much of an update on the current situation.

"When they go 1-0 up, they were getting bodies behind the ball and playing on the counter which is difficult to break down.

"We have probably created much less today than we have done previously in the last two. But that's me, I'll take that. That's down to me to deal with. The players have got to keep believing in what we are trying to do."

Cardiff find themselves in an unenviable position. Sitting in 20th in the Championship table, the Bluebirds are also under a transfer embargo which drastically limits what they can do in the January window.

Hudson once again confirmed that the club were trying their best to get that embargo lifted, but couldn't provide too much of an update on the current situation.

"It's important to freshen up if you can and look to bring some quality in. But if that's not the case or is the case, we have to wait and see," Hudson said.

"We work on goalscoring and score time and time in training,Creative moments, creative players we've got. It's maybe a lack of belief but I tell them they shouldn't lack belief.”

“It’s a new squad still getting to know each other, we have the quality and the numbers, the belief is there in training, now we need to take it to the matches.”

"It's been a really tough three games in that respect. We've had a lot of travel. We can make a load of excuses. But we need to take better care of the ball around the box and find that cutting edge."

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Facebook, I’m not on it, but it was the talk of the pub on Sunday.

Him and Sol apparently
    Hope Sol doesn’t come back, doesn’t come across as the brightest on sky and seems to have a bit of an ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    The lad is 6ft 4 and quick. Warnock probably has posters of Colwill on his bedroom wall.
    Disagree that Colwill is quick.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    Disagree that Colwill is quick.
    Agreed he has something though, if he can keep fit, could become a decent player. If Warnock gets in I think he would build his confidence and try and utilise him.

What's his brother like, is he similar in type of player build, etc, people are saying he could be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Did anyone really believe the club wanted to change style or have any plans past the current season? Some of the talk almost had me fooled.
    Yes, hence the managerial appointments.

Warnock will be here for 6 months and then hopefully Rooney (as the rumours go) or someone reasonable will take over

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Agreed he has something though, if he can keep fit, could become a decent player. If Warnock gets in I think he would build his confidence and try and utilise him.

What's his brother like, is he similar in type of player build, etc, people are saying he could be better?
    Smaller build, but there's always a growth spurt or two around the corner isn't there!

Glen Williams seems to say a lot without actually saying anything. I'm not sure what the intention is by informing us that Dalman and Warnock remain in "fairly regular contact". That in itself is of no surprise. There is little in his article any better than speculation you may read on this message board. He does seem to be something of a mouthpiece for Dalman though so perhaps he's been tipped the wink that Warnock is genuinely being considered. Perhaps so fan reaction can be assessed? You do wonder if Dalman has an agenda that may not be aligned with Tan.
    At least he knows Warnock - didnt Dalman recently declare he very little about Hudson?

Dalman is a clown and should be no where near our football club

If we are going to change managers then we could do a lot worse than Danny Cowley

International

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Smaller build, but there's always a growth spurt or two around the corner isn't there!
    Not too much I hope we could do with him playing sooner rather than later, is he almost ready?

As I have always said, it’s results that matter. Fans never go home raving about a 400 successful pass defeat, especially if it’s the 10th at home in the season etc. I would feel more comfortable if NW returned briefly to steady this nosedive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    As I have always said, it’s results that matter. Fans never go home raving about a 400 successful pass defeat, especially if it’s the 10th at home in the season etc. I would feel more comfortable if NW returned briefly to steady this nosedive.
    Morison was asked to change the playing style

This is what we are left with managed by a inexperienced coach

We are going down unless things change quickly

I hope all those who have moaned about route one football have their crash helmets on if we get relegated because they are going to get a roasting