+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil Warnock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Neil Warnock

It's a laughable U Turn if true but my general feeling is that we're screwed next season regardless of whether he comes or not.

I also don't think we'll go down if Hudson stays for what it's worth, the league is crap as are the 3 teams below us and a couple slightly above us.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    It's a laughable U Turn if true but my general feeling is that we're screwed next season regardless of whether he comes or not.

I also don't think we'll go down if Hudson stays for what it's worth, the league is crap as are the 3 teams below us and a couple slightly above us.
    I wish I could share your optimism, I really do, but we are being dragged towards certain relegation as things stand. There is little to suggest otherwise at present. Returning to Neil Warnock would be just about the best appointment we can make under the circumstances and given our financial restraints etc. I cannot believe that I've just typed that but that's the reality of the situation. Who else is available, experienced in saving Championship sides from relegation and would be happy to work under a transfer embargo? Steve Bruce perhaps.

I also keep reading that relegation would be a disaster but would it and why? Is there any more danger of VT placing the club into administration by withdrawing financial support than there is in the Championship? Surely his pride would prevent that happening no matter the division the team are in. Why then would a relegation be the end of the world? Blue in league 2 etc. Who is to say that we would suddenly sink back into league 2 anyway? There is no guarantee that this is the path the club would take, like in the 80s. Who knows, there may be a season of winning football and trips to grounds old and new. Which might be very enjoyable after the dross of the last few seasons.

As an aside I see that the Cowley brothers were sacked from Portsmouth yesterday. It wasn't so long ago that they were being touted as the next great thing and were linked to Cardiff from memory. How their stars have waxed and waned in just a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    I wish I could share your optimism, I really do, but we are being dragged towards certain relegation as things stand. There is little to suggest otherwise at present. Returning to Neil Warnock would be just about the best appointment we can make under the circumstances and given our financial restraints etc. I cannot believe that I've just typed that but that's the reality of the situation. Who else is available, experienced in saving Championship sides from relegation and would be happy to work under a transfer embargo? Steve Bruce perhaps.

I also keep reading that relegation would be a disaster but would it and why? Is there any more danger of VT placing the club into administration by withdrawing financial support than there is in the Championship? Surely his pride would prevent that happening no matter the division the team are in. Why then would a relegation be the end of the world? Blue in league 2 etc. Who is to say that we would suddenly sink back into league 2 anyway? There is no guarantee that this is the path the club would take, like in the 80s. Who knows, there may be a season of winning football and trips to grounds old and new. Which might be very enjoyable after the dross of the last few seasons.

As an aside I see that the Cowley brothers were sacked from Portsmouth yesterday. It wasn't so long ago that they were being touted as the next great thing and were linked to Cardiff from memory. How their stars have waxed and waned in just a couple of years.
    I wouldn't say it's optimism if I'm honest, maybe it's a bit of apathy (which is worse than negativity I think!) but I just feel like it's a matter of time until we go down with the current set up above manager level. I do genuinely think we will stay up even with no change of manager but it says a lot more about the Championship than Cardiff I think. But it's not really anything to celebrate if we do pull away and finish 17th as next season will be just the same and eventually there will be a season where we are one of the worst 3 in the division.

Relegation being a positive always seems a bit of a stretch for me, clubs like Sheff United and Southampton it was a positive as they could clear themselves of big earners and start again, had a system in place. We don't really have any of that, I think we're more likely to go the way of Ipswich and Bolton.

The only positive of it (apart from some new away grounds for a year) will be if it forces Tan to sell but I feel like he would do an interview stating he is fully committed to taking Cardiff to the PL whilst we are 14th in League One in December.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I wouldn't say it's optimism if I'm honest, maybe it's a bit of apathy (which is worse than negativity I think!) but I just feel like it's a matter of time until we go down with the current set up above manager level. I do genuinely think we will stay up even with no change of manager but it says a lot more about the Championship than Cardiff I think. But it's not really anything to celebrate if we do pull away and finish 17th as next season will be just the same and eventually there will be a season where we are one of the worst 3 in the division.

Relegation being a positive always seems a bit of a stretch for me, clubs like Sheff United and Southampton it was a positive as they could clear themselves of big earners and start again, had a system in place. We don't really have any of that, I think we're more likely to go the way of Ipswich and Bolton.

The only positive of it (apart from some new away grounds for a year) will be if it forces Tan to sell but I feel like he would do an interview stating he is fully committed to taking Cardiff to the PL whilst we are 14th in League One in December.
    I agree with you that it does only feel like a matter of time that relegation bites if the status quo is maintained. Even if a relegation would make Tan consider a sale at a lower cost than he currently desires, would relegation drive away any parties who are currently (supposedly) interested in buying the club? I have no idea as I am not a rich businessman. But I do not think Tan would allow the club to fail. If he did sell then I guess it will be a case of being careful what we wish for. Although I may actually start going away again if there are some interesting new grounds to visit. I've not been away now for around 4 seasons or so, and I've not been to a home game since Swansea last season. Much of that is to do with personal circumstance, but also much to do with my general indifference. The club needs some injection of excitement to reignite interest that much is sure. I was out with friends recently and there were 4 of us who are former season ticket holders who no longer attend matches, plus another 2 that used to come down a handful of times a season. If my friendship circle of 40 somethings is representative of the wider fanbase then the apathy is growing and won't be changing in the short term as people become more and more disillusioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    If we are going to change managers then we could do a lot worse than Danny Cowley