+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does that game tell us?

Re: What does that game tell us?

It's a shame that Colwill and Robinson weren't available or we could have put the game out of sight by 60 minutes. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It tells me that you can't beat real quality with players who try ........we tried today but Leeds were clearly a few steps ahead of us

But .....all the players and the manager put in a shift

And you can't ask for anything more
    You could have asked for Tanner and Sang to not be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We completely ran out of puff. Tanner is absolutely miles off it, he needs his time at York. Moving Harris up front didn’t help, he was protecting Sang as well. We did well though, the first half is a good showing. One major plus was Rino, he was good. Great pass. Ojo too, has some confidence. I think with Robinson and Kipre to come back in, there’s definite positives and a way forward
    Bringing Tanner on was a strange decision, at that point it looked like we might actually win it so bring on O'Dowda to help see it out. Moving things about didn't help us I don't think

As well as they did, Ojo & Sawyers were clearly f*cked by about the 60 minute mark, that's when Ralls & Wintle should have come on, they came on far too late

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's almost like Marsch thought "I'll throw this lot on and see what happens, if it doesn't go so well I'll make the substitutions and we'll be fine". Once they got going Leeds should have got 4 or 5. I'm sure he won't be too concerned about the replay.
    I imagine he will be concerned, that performance won't have done much to help his standing with Leeds fans and even with all the quality out it took a scruffy winner against a defence that included Tom Sang, Jack Simpson & Curtis Nelson

Had to take Davies off but Tanner is absolutely useless. He's miles off the pace. Harris also can't play there, and moving him from the right exposed Sang. Also, I really hated the back 5. Put Ng on right mid, or right back and push Sang forward and basically play 2 right backs. Ah well, hard to criticise too much, they got a lot right in the first half. First game in ages Rino looked like he could play a bit and Ojo, thank God, he's remembered he can play a bit. Davies is a right pest, his pace is scary. However, it might not have made a big difference, Leeds brought on some seriously good players and they were all over us.
    Very harsh on Tanner. He had to be the one in a very defensive 5-3-1 while playing in a position he’s probably never played in before.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Very harsh on Tanner. He had to be the one in a very defensive 5-3-1 while playing in a position he’s probably never played in before.
    He should never have been put in that position, O'Dowda should have come on ahead of him

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He should never have been put in that position, O'Dowda should have come on ahead of him
    I wouldn’t argue with that, I was surprised to see him used as our first sub.

He was on the pitch for 20 minutes before the red. He was playing for Lewes 6 months go, and it looks like it. He needs to play professional football. O'Dowda should have come on, it was a strange sub, especially considering he's going to York. I bet Hudson wishes he had that one back.

He was on the pitch for 20 minutes before the red. He was playing for Lewes 6 months go, and it looks like it. He needs to play professional football. O'Dowda should have come on, it was a strange sub, especially considering he's going to York. I bet Hudson wishes he had that one back.
    Quite funny that we responded to them bringing on Cody Drameh and Rodrigo by bringing on a bloke we signed from Lewes

Tells me Hudson is happy to have the opposition go unchallenged until they get into our penalty area.

I styi9ll think your comments are very harsh - the whole team were knackered by the time he was brought on. That said, I agree that it was a strange substitution to make. It might have made sense if we were 4-0 up - not for the first time, I was left somewhat baffled by Hudson's substitutions.

In the 20 minutes he was on I thought he looked a lot better than Max Watters.

We won't be able to compare today with a Championship game however ,we do know pace ,closing down quickly, winning second balls can make a huge difference..

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It struck me that perhaps we aren't as bad as we think. Even with a team shorn of most of it's usual 'first-choice' players, we more than held our own against a Premier side. Agreed, Leeds had done some 'resting' of their own, but they still should have been good enough to beat us. I was expecting a three- or four-goal loss, so a draw and a replay is a bonus (even if it did feel like a loss at the final whistle). To replace the entire back four, and the keeper, and the midfield.....and still perform the way we did - hats off to them all. Well done.
    I agree that we may not be as bad as we think, but we didn't hold our own, we got ****ing battered for 45 minutes. And Leeds wasted at least 3 golden chances. Both of their goals were soft in my opinion. We have a defender managing the team who can't organise the defence.

Tanner was a bizarre sub to make at that point of the game, tactically and given the size of the ask.

I’m about as far from a Max Watters fan as is possible, I think he’s league two quality but you have to ask why we’ve let him go on loan and then the next game we’ve had to throw on a 20 year old winger for his second professional appearance to lead the line and hold onto a 2 goal lead against a Prem opponent. It really does say everything about the decision making of everyone at the top right now.

I styi9ll think your comments are very harsh - the whole team were knackered by the time he was brought on. That said, I agree that it was a strange substitution to make. It might have made sense if we were 4-0 up - not for the first time, I was left somewhat baffled by Hudson's substitutions.
    Perhaps harsh but he needs a run of games somewhere. The subs were confusing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Quite funny that we responded to them bringing on Cody Drameh and Rodrigo by bringing on a bloke we signed from Lewes
    How Drameh is behind that Kristiansen I don't know. Slowest right back in the Prem, surely. Their entire back four is glacially slow.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Tanner was a bizarre sub to make at that point of the game, tactically and given the size of the ask.

I’m about as far from a Max Watters fan as is possible, I think he’s league two quality but you have to ask why we’ve let him go on loan and then the next game we’ve had to throw on a 20 year old winger for his second professional appearance to lead the line and hold onto a 2 goal lead against a Prem opponent. It really does say everything about the decision making of everyone at the top right now.
    I could not agree more. When I saw him being readied to come on, my first thought was that the rumours of him going to a struggling conference side on loan must be false. Then I saw him play and could not understand why “wild eyes” had brought him on at all.

It also told me that our stadium is WAY too big for us. I don't know what the Grandstand looks like, but the Ninian Stand consistently looks pathetic on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It also told me that our stadium is WAY too big for us. I don't know what the Grandstand looks like, but the Ninian Stand consistently looks pathetic on TV.
    Way too big for a team at the wrong end of the Championship and who have struggled for form and goals all season.
    However, it is NOT too big for whenever we get to the Premier League.
    It is the right capacity, if we are ever to progress.

I'd only make one change in that team v Wigan.
    Began in goal....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That if we get players in the box then we can score goals, some great movement from Harris and ojo for the goals, but more importantly, we had other players in the same positions, which pulled Leeds out a bit.

Second half we didn't compete, allowed them possession, or maybe couldn't sustain the discipline and shape of the first half. Probably should have been 4-2 to Leeds.

First half though, encouraging.
    Centre of midfield we looked much improved…until Ralls and Wintle came on

Personally I’d think about dropping both for the next couple of games.

Sawyers did enough to get himself back on the bench. Fair play to him for not sulking

Just managed to bring myself to watch the highlights. They showed me that defensively we were bad for both their goals. Both could have been easily defended which makes throwing away the two goal lead more frustrating.

Would have taken 2-2 before the game of course.

Some harsh comments on here. They brought on a 30m striker ffs and the guy on left wing 2nd half was lightning quick, Sang couldnt deal with him, he was just too good.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Some harsh comments on here. They brought on a 30m striker ffs and the guy on left wing 2nd half was lightning quick, Sang couldnt deal with him, he was just too good.
    Yeah Rodrigo is quality. I think it’s more disappointing that we didn’t quite have the legs to get over the line. Proud of the players though without a doubt. First time I stayed and applauded them off for a few games.