+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 20 MPH Costing Critical Money Wasted ??

20 MPH Costing Critical Money Wasted ??

Dear me what we could do with 4.5bn revenue or expenditure of 325 million for road signs in a period were folk need care and support ??

From WOL:
    The Welsh Government's own analysis suggests that reducing the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph could cost the economy billions.

Under Welsh Labour plans to limit residential roads and busy pedestrian streets to 20mph. The principle aim is that the change will reduce the number of people being killed or seriously injured in road crashes n Wales. The change will come into force in September 2023.

Though some have applauded the plans the Welsh Government's own analysis points to a potential £4.5bn hit to the economy. For context, the Welsh Government education budget is just over £3bn a year (though the economic hit from the 20mph limit is spread over 30 years). Published in the explanatory memorandum on the topic, the minister for climate change signed off on the analysis saying it "gives a fair and reasonable view of the expected impact" of the 20mph limit and that she is "satisfied that the benefits justify the likely costs".

What does the document actually say?
    There are different things to consider here. The first is the direct cost of the policy (things like changing road signs, markings and market campaign about the changes). This will cost roughly £32.5 million between 2022-2027 but most will be incurred in the year proceeding the introduction. Almost all of this cost will fall at the feet of the Welsh Government which is funding the work carried out by the local authorities through grants.

Re: 20 MPH Costing Critical Money Wasted ??

have you factored in the amount of speeding fines that will be collected.I was told £300 fines are commonplace in Cardiff.It's a money making machine for councils.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Dear me what we could do with 4.5bn revenue or expenditure of 325 million for road signs in a period were folk need care and support ??

From WOL:
    The Welsh Government's own analysis suggests that reducing the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph could cost the economy billions.

Under Welsh Labour plans to limit residential roads and busy pedestrian streets to 20mph. The principle aim is that the change will reduce the number of people being killed or seriously injured in road crashes n Wales. The change will come into force in September 2023.

Though some have applauded the plans the Welsh Government's own analysis points to a potential £4.5bn hit to the economy. For context, the Welsh Government education budget is just over £3bn a year (though the economic hit from the 20mph limit is spread over 30 years). Published in the explanatory memorandum on the topic, the minister for climate change signed off on the analysis saying it "gives a fair and reasonable view of the expected impact" of the 20mph limit and that she is "satisfied that the benefits justify the likely costs".

What does the document actually say?
    There are different things to consider here. The first is the direct cost of the policy (things like changing road signs, markings and market campaign about the changes). This will cost roughly £32.5 million between 2022-2027 but most will be incurred in the year proceeding the introduction. Almost all of this cost will fall at the feet of the Welsh Government which is funding the work carried out by the local authorities through grants.
    A quote “A review of road casualties in London between 1986 and 2006 was published in the BMJ in 200914. It demonstrated that 20mph zones reduced the number of casualties by over 40% (41.9%). The 20mph zones were slightly more effective in preventing fatal or serious injuries to children, which were reduced by half (50.2%). There was a smaller reduction in casualties among cyclists than any of the other major groups of road users studied, with a reduction of 16.9%”

A 20% reduction in injuries and fatalities would be expected. So not as good as quoted and found elsewhere. Also a significant improvement in air quality, which will help you get children with asthma.

Saving to NHS? Over time I suspect it’s a good investment you have highlighted.

Things is - nobody sticks to the speed limit (except me, of course), and I don’t see much being done to enforce it. I live in Abergavenny- it may be different in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Things is - nobody sticks to the speed limit (except me, of course), and I don’t see much being done to enforce it. I live in Abergavenny- it may be different in Cardiff.
    There was a city fan used to live in Gilwern

Quite a few Bluebirds up there I believe

I wonder what those calculations are based on? presumably that's the extreme end of the scale they've used to make the article a bit more dramatic

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wonder what those calculations are based on? presumably that's the extreme end of the scale they've used to make the article a bit more dramatic
    While I think the 20mph should be aimed at side roads (heavily residential), I would think it is money well spent If it prevents ANY fatal or serious injuries to children let alone the numbers quoted above.

International

Pathetic waste of money, it's way to low for main roads, 90% ignore it unless going through the speed camera's.

If you go through Radyr or Whitchurch you'll probably have a 20 mph'er in front doing 18mph. You could get out of your car and run faster.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If you go through Radyr or Whitchurch you'll probably have a 20 mph'er in front doing 18mph. You could get out of your car and run faster.
    the road through Radyr is 1.8 miles long from the ty Nant to llantrisant road.

by my calculations this would take about 100 seconds more to drive through at 20 instead of 30.

18mph is 12.43 seconds to complete the 100m.

I'll be impressed if a single poster on this board can do that.