+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wizz pulling out of Cardiff Airport

Wizz pulling out of Cardiff Airport

Massive backward step for Wales but fits in to the WAG carbon zero narrative

Re: Wizz pulling out of Cardiff Airport

Interesting to note that Cardiff airport lags behind others in terms of recovery from the pandemic, but not surprising given that South Wales is one of the poorer areas in the UK. On the face of that report, can't really hold Wizz pulling out on the Welsh Government or the airport.

Well that lasted a long time.
    Have to be honest I didn't fly with them, or from Cardiff, so can't really complain

I have flown wizz air, but not from Cardiff, they are pretty crap

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Interesting to note that Cardiff airport lags behind others in terms of recovery from the pandemic, but not surprising given that South Wales is one of the poorer areas in the UK. On the face of that report, can't really hold Wizz pulling out on the Welsh Government or the airport.
    Everything is slower recovering from the Pandemic in Wales Drakeford wanted the longest lockdowns, restricting travel to holiday resorts, and banning the English, what would you possibly expect?

He's literally gifted Bristol airport and the cornish and Devonshire tourist trade, welsh customers, why hasn't the road network to the airport and into Wales improved, we are falling behind Bristol at record speed.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I have flown wizz air, but not from Cardiff, they are pretty crap
    They were good pretty much the same as easy jet, but cheaper, it's a shambles most people would prefer to fly from Wales but there are hardly any flights, Bristol airport has left us for dust.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They were good pretty much the same as easy jet, but cheaper, it's a shambles most people would prefer to fly from Wales but there are hardly any flights, Bristol airport has left us for dust.
    the disparity with Bristol airport happened a long time before the Welsh government got involved

I dropped my daughter to Bristol Airport last month
    It cost me a fiver to drop her off plus I had to pay a clean air zone charge of £9 times two because I picked her up a week later
    All a bit of racketeering if you ask me 💷

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I dropped my daughter to Bristol Airport last month
    It cost me a fiver to drop her off plus I had to pay a clean air zone charge of £9 times two because I picked her up a week later
    All a bit of racketeering if you ask me ��
    In a word yes ….

I initially supported the WG buying the airport and I think it may have closed without them doing that so I suppose it was the right decision.

But this is yet another example of how utterly incompetent they are. Is there anything they have excelled at? Clealy airlines don't think much of them. I suspect they are slow, don't understand the market, take too long to make investment decisions and run it in a political as opposed to commercial manner.

my Uncle flys from Cardiff to Spain once a month, he loves wiz air, so does the travel agent in Barry he books with, last trip was £270, I looked online and it was £80
    he will be gutted, as he refuses to give Bristol any of his money

I found it interesting that a carry on on wiz air was just a handbag size, you had to pay for a cabin case, then a checked hold luggage was even more

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I initially supported the WG buying the airport and I think it may have closed without them doing that so I suppose it was the right decision.

But this is yet another example of how utterly incompetent they are. Is there anything they have excelled at? Clealy airlines don't think much of them. I suspect they are slow, don't understand the market, take too long to make investment decisions and run it in a political as opposed to commercial manner.
    they've been doing ok, it would certainly have closed by now if they hadn't stepped in, and numbers were making steady progress but it was always going to be badly affected by COVID and the current financial situation.

yes there are plenty of more ambitious things they could have done with it, but until you've seen them properly coated out it's hard to say how feasible they are really.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Everything is slower recovering from the Pandemic in Wales Drakeford wanted the longest lockdowns, restricting travel to holiday resorts, and banning the English, what would you possibly expect?
    What's that got to do with anything? Is your life filled with ways of blaming absolutely everything on Drakeford?

South Wales is one of the poorest areas of the UK. Of course things will take longer to recover as people have less money here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What's that got to do with anything? Is your life filled with ways of blaming absolutely everything on Drakeford?

South Wales is one of the poorest areas of the UK. Of course things will take longer to recover as people have less money here.
    At least it gives Harry a day off 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    my Uncle flys from Cardiff to Spain once a month, he loves wiz air, so does the travel agent in Barry he books with, last trip was £270, I looked online and it was £80
    he will be gutted, as he refuses to give Bristol any of his money

I found it interesting that a carry on on wiz air was just a handbag size, you had to pay for a cabin case, then a checked hold luggage was even more
    Ryanair and Easyjet operate the same system these days: a small carry-on (Ooh er, missus) suitcase can cost as much as the passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    they've been doing ok, it would certainly have closed by now if they hadn't stepped in, and numbers were making steady progress but it was always going to be badly affected by COVID and the current financial situation.

yes there are plenty of more ambitious things they could have done with it, but until you've seen them properly coated out it's hard to say how feasible they are really.
    I agree. They were making slow progress, but aren't now. I suspect they offered sweeteners to airlines but haven't shown how to sustain it or grow the airport properly.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I agree. They were making slow progress, but aren't now. I suspect they offered sweeteners to airlines but haven't shown how to sustain it or grow the airport properly.
    I suspect we were making progress before COVID and a war in Europe ****ed everything up.
    because we were starting from a smaller base than other airports it is always going to hit us harder, as economies of scale are everything to airports

The Welsh Government impose taxes or charges for planes to land at Cardiff.
    Michael O’Leary of Ryanair has been calling for these taxes to be scrapped in order to make the routes viable.
    Scrapping these charges to entice a big airline with dozens of routes would make for more revenue/higher footfall
    I had to pick colleague’s up flying in from Rome for the 2016 Champions League Final
    I can honestly say I’ve never seen so much air traffic at Cardiff
    We can handle volume but it seems that the powers that be don’t want it??

The Welsh Government impose taxes or charges for planes to land at Cardiff.
    Michael O’Leary of Ryanair has been calling for these taxes to be scrapped in order to make the routes viable.
    Scrapping these charges to entice a big airline with dozens of routes would make for more revenue/higher footfall
    I had to pick colleague’s up flying in from Rome for the 2016 Champions League Final
    I can honestly say I’ve never seen so much air traffic at Cardiff
    We can handle volume but it seems that the powers that be don’t want it??
    the Welsh government have been calling for the devolution of APD tax for years haven't they? I thought that Westminster keeps blocking it

It isn't the Welsh government's fault that Cardiff Airport isn't successful

Basically local taffies are tight and want to save 50 quid by flying from Bristol

You could put an airport in someone's back garden in South Wales .....and let's be honest it is ......and they would still find something to moan about

Not sure who exactly levy the tax Rjk
    Wales or Westminster
    All I know is that the same tax doesn’t apply over the bridge
    Michael O’Leary was calling for it to be scrapped
    It isn’t
    Which is why it’s cheaper to fly from Bristol

If you factor in the cost of getting to Bristol Sludge along with the newly introduced’Clean air zone charge’ @£9 a day as well as the £5 drop off charge at the airport the prices even themselves out mate
    I flew from Bristol recently (Tenerife) and have booked to fly from Cardiff in May

Wales or Westminster
    It isn’t

If you factor in the cost of getting to Bristol Sludge along with the newly introduced’Clean air zone charge’ @£9 a day as well as the £5 drop off charge at the airport the prices even themselves out mate
    I flew from Bristol recently (Tenerife) and have booked to fly from Cardiff in May
    I don't think that's right.

The Welsh government have been calling for APD to be devolved for years, presumably so they can immediately scrap it. Westminster should have done it years ago but have been refusing to do it.

The main reason Bristol is cheaper to fly out if for carriers is the economies of scale i.e. the costs for all the behind the scenes stuff that has to go on at an airport is shared between more flights and is therefore cheaper

Wales or Westminster
    It isn’t

Bristol is a pain in the arse to get to

Cardiff has a huge runway and can easily handle the big flights

If it got hold of the bucket and spade flights then it might be a contender

Apart from Manchester which is really dominant you have Leeds Bradford , East Midlands and Liverpool

Surely Cardiff can be that sort of second rung airport but down here ?

The buildings at Bristol look smaller if anything

They just seem to have more flights

Cardiff can accommodate the big jumbo’s
    We flew to Toronto from there and also Florida
    Until recently Qatar Airlines had a regular service
    It’s all down to this landing tax?
    Airlines don’t want to pay it
    Is there someone on the board that actually understands the reasoning behind inflated tax for Cardiff and not for the likes of Bristol??