+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Re: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    well you may as well get used to it as your fuel guzzling motors will not be in production for many more years
    It's only the production of them that's being phased out (currently 2035 for hybrids), not the usage. Both the vehicle range and charging infrastructure have a long way to go to make swapping a viable option for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    I'm not reading the three bllx pages - EV's are brilliant end of..... especially Tesla's

Mr Tit, if you want a test drive PM me
    NO THANK YOU, not whilst this keeps happening:——-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2100...ed-inside/amp/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...r-28914534.amp

International

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    I'm not reading the three bllx pages - EV's are brilliant end of..... especially Tesla's

Mr Tit, if you want a test drive PM me
    Recharging away from home is still the issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I watched a video on YouTube of a Tesla owner telling his story of the car completely shutting down on a dual carriageway at night. Luckily enough he was next to a layby and managed to get the car in there. The car then locked itself and nothing worked on the car ie hazard warning lights, doors and windows wouldn't open and no way of charging his phone. There is a manual emergency lever on the inside of a Tesla that opens the doors in said circumstances.

He then needed to get out for a pee, and while he was out of the car the wind blew the door shut and he couldn't get back in. He then decided he would walk a couple of miles to the nearest services to get help, but realised all his stuff was still inside the car so he ended up smashing the drivers side window to get in and collect his stuff.

This could have been so much worse if it happened to a Mum and her kids or someone elderly on a fast road with nowhere to pull over.

The Tesla he was driving was new with only 300 miles on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A very long extension lead is the answer.
    An extension lead as long as the journey is expected to be.

International

The answer is get Green flag breakdown cover, drive your electric car until it shuts down, call green flag and they will transport your car to your intended destination.
    NO FUEL NEEDED!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The answer is get Green flag breakdown cover, drive your electric car until it shuts down, call green flag and they will transport your car to your intended destination.
    NO FUEL NEEDED!!
    Green Flag run on air I take it ?

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Well that seems like an idea, but a bit of a nuisance.
    What I don't understand is why they don't do batteries that you can take out and charge.
    If you had two, then that would be a game changer and I'd do it.
    Until they do something like that I don't think it will be viable for someone like me in a terraced house
    EV owner and advocate here. You mention terrace- presumably your point is you have no way to charge at home? If so, I agree it doesn't work. If you have somewhere you can park and charge at home it's SO easy, but if not and you would have to rely on the public infrastructure only (as.you do for a petrol car) then it's not really viable, especially if it's your main/only car.

There is really a big divide. For those who can charge at home, there really won't be many people who would have major issues going EV unless you are doing hundreds of miles a day. For those that can't charge at home- I really wouldn't recommend it. 99% of our charging is done at home and while my experience of the public network is very good, it would be too much hassle to continually have to take it places and wait while it charge. And that is the problem.

Battery swap would be great but I suspect the advancement will come through longer and longer ranges allied to faster and faster charging times

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    EV owner and advocate here. You mention terrace- presumably your point is you have no way to charge at home? If so, I agree it doesn't work. If you have somewhere you can park and charge at home it's SO easy, but if not and you would have to rely on the public infrastructure only (as.you do for a petrol car) then it's not really viable, especially if it's your main/only car.

There is really a big divide. For those who can charge at home, there really won't be many people who would have major issues going EV unless you are doing hundreds of miles a day. For those that can't charge at home- I really wouldn't recommend it. 99% of our charging is done at home and while my experience of the public network is very good, it would be too much hassle to continually have to take it places and wait while it charge. And that is the problem.

Battery swap would be great but I suspect the advancement will come through longer and longer ranges allied to faster and faster charging times
    So basically it’s bringing back a “class divide”, in the population ?

Those with houses with drives and those without

A throwback to Victorian times

International

Green Flag run on air I take it ?
    no on ffuel but it isn't yours, and you don't have to queue for hours to get it!!

So basically it’s bringing back a “class divide”, in the population ?

Those with houses with drives and those without

A throwback to Victorian times
    Those bloody electric Hansom cabs…..grrrr

International

They have the in London. they're great!

They have the in London. they're great!
    They have THE what ?

The drivers aren't so Hansom though.

International

They have THE what ?
    electric hansom cabs :)

electric hansom cabs :)
    Where do they put the horses?

Hope none of you have lashed out on a Tesla

https://apple.news/A5ohfAo4XRO-QkL4WU0mM0Q

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    For Lardy
    In comparison with production of a petrol of a diesel car
    An electric vehicle produces three to four times the carbon emissions in the manufacturing process 👍
    Correct. The German manufacturers wrote a white paper on this very subject, which the German government presented to the EU. It got buried. Not just the electric vehicle side, it’s also the push for lightweight and the cost of magnesium & carbon fibre over aluminium.

Hope none of you have lashed out on a Tesla

https://apple.news/A5ohfAo4XRO-QkL4WU0mM0Q
    Uhm, yes, prices "slashed" apparently - Tesla car now reduced to a mere £43K. Somehow I don't envisage a mad dash to the showrooms.

The current technology (no pun intended!) will be obsolete within 10 years. It will be the new Betamax for those old enough to remember that.

Electric cars are great at what they do. Walk through London and they are everywhere, as is the charging infrastructure. Most streets have chargers in lots of lampposts or at the end of the street.

I'd definitely be wanting petrol or diesel if I was wanting to travel long distances though

You beat me to it Titty
    Was reading this online just now
    Do you really think that the government will start phasing out the production of petrol and diesel cars in ten years time.
    Industry experts say that for the UK to keep up with the rest of the world in the production of electric cars we will need several Electric car battery manufacturers.
    Not exactly a great start when BritishVolt a much championed start up collapses into administration.
    Seems to me that the government wants everyone walking,cycling or on public transport in a decade.

Tends to confirm my prediction (post #69 above) I think. If investors were convinced that battery powered electric cars were the future then the money would be pouring in surely.

I would never in a million years buy an EV.....for many many reasons.....even excluding the fact I could not afford one.
    I have a 2013 Mercedes B Class.....53k miles......get 45mpg around town and short journeys....and around 60mpg on a long journey......a journey of over 600 miles routine.....why would I change???
    One of the biggest cons in motoring history.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I would never in a million years buy an EV.....for many many reasons.....even excluding the fact I could not afford one.
    I have a 2013 Mercedes B Class.....53k miles......get 45mpg around town and short journeys....and around 60mpg on a long journey......a journey of over 600 miles routine.....why would I change???
    One of the biggest cons in motoring history.
    Sorry, I don’t understand the con?

Electric vehicles might be too expensive or too impractical now (range, batteries, charging infrastructure) and I wouldn’t get one now even if I could afford it (too many long distance journeys in my life) but I can’t see anyone conning me. And in a few years time they may well make sense.

No one is confiscating your 2013 efficient but polluting gas guzzler either!