+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Re: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Tends to confirm my prediction (post #69 above) I think. If investors were convinced that battery powered electric cars were the future then the money would be pouring in surely.
    Not quite sure that theory about invested money stands up. Tesla has become one of the highest valued (ridiculously overvalued imo) companies in the world. Loads of investor money has flowed into battery ev's.

I think this is more about an overly ambitious startup that tried to run before they could walk.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Not quite sure that theory about invested money stands up. Tesla has become one of the highest valued (ridiculously overvalued imo) companies in the world. Loads of investor money has flowed into battery ev's.

I think this is more about an overly ambitious startup that tried to run before they could walk.
    Having just watched the News at Ten tonight I have to agree with you. I didn't know the full story. However I'm still of the opinion that battery powered cars will go the way of Betamax unless there is some really dramatic breakthrough in battery technology pretty soon. Fuel cells will be the future.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Where do they put the horses?
    One horse is capable of producing 15 horse power, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    One horse is capable of producing 15 horse power, apparently.
    which one?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Sorry, I don’t understand the con?

Electric vehicles might be too expensive or too impractical now (range, batteries, charging infrastructure) and I wouldn’t get one now even if I could afford it (too many long distance journeys in my life) but I can’t see anyone conning me. And in a few years time they may well make sense.

No one is confiscating your 2013 efficient but polluting gas guzzler either!
    Well, wait until the cost of electricity goes even higher, Taxes on them rise to compensate for lost fuel duty tax.... the lack of capacity to charge these EV. Diesel may well produce more emissions but taking the whole life of a car......the cost - and human suffering - of mining lithium for the batteries....and the eventual disposal of all such batteries, there is an arguement as to which is better.

All the diesel cars in the world do not produce as much pollution as cows f**ting*. Maybe we should also get rid of them?

In the meantime India and China continue with coal....

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I've not heard about battery swaps for electric cars here in China. I'm not saying there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of them. I'm led to believe that they are big bloody things anyway!
    The 'Deliveroo' riders use such a swap system for their e-bikes.
    Tesla originally said (beginning-mid 2010s) that they would set up the infrastructure so you could just swap batteries. They then said charging points was the way to go. They must have had a reason for doing so. Remember thinking at the time that they'd need to come up with some algorithm to persuade drivers to take "tired" batteries instead of new ones.

oops - reply to wrong thread

I’m not surprised this thread is still debated.
    As I’ve already said my sister pressured me into taking her Electric Car for the weekend several months ago because she wants me to buy an EV
    It a Porsche so why wouldn’t you !!

I honestly couldn’t wait to return it!!

I drove from Swansea to Cobham (Surrey) onto Middlesbrough then back to Swansea.
    The first leg of the journey took six hours and I also picked up a fine for overstaying in the services
    I got to the services with a range of thirty miles left so needed to charge the car.
    Charging takes about an hour or so
    Both charging points were occupied and there was another driver waiting to use in front of me
    The maximum stay was two hours
    I was there just over three.
    I appealed the fine which my sister had in her name but to no avail.

So in my own experience I would try and talk anyone thinking of buying an EV not too!!

All of the governments around the world are lying to us
    It’s all a massive CON

It’s proven that the Carbon Emissions made during the manufacturing process compared to the production of petrol or diesel engines is three to four times higher

The second hand market isn’t there
    Who would buy a ten year old EV??

The batteries deteriorate over time resulting in the owner having to purchase a new battery pack at huge cost

That’s more lithium being mined and more Carbon Emissions

The infrastructure doesn’t exist for the number of Electric Cars on the road

The government wants the entire population to be on public transport/cycling or walking or own an EV as production of petrol and diesel cars are being phased out in a decade

The BritishVolt battery factory as we all saw on tv yesterday has gone bust

We apparently need several of these factories in order to keep up with the production of EV’s

We haven’t got one factory now and the Government are still pressing on with the phasing out of petrol/diesel production in a decade

It’s all insane!!

The cost of buying an EV is much more expensive than a petrol or diesel car

The cost of running it is now according to the AA and RAC greater than petrol or diesel

Guaranteed in a few years EV drivers will be expected to pay road tax as well

So what exactly are the benefits of owning an EV?????

I know it’s the Sun, but it’s as funny as f uck

https://apple.news/AQ_wAX6ftQp6Ro7oqUAwGLA

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I know it’s the Sun, but it’s as funny as f uck

https://apple.news/AQ_wAX6ftQp6Ro7oqUAwGLA
    Tony..tickets secured?
    Mel

Autotrader are reporting a 30% drop in new EV sales. The impression is that the target market - those with strong green views, live in detached property, not particularly cost-conscious, is already becoming saturated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    As I’ve already said my sister pressured me into taking her Electric Car for the weekend several months ago because she wants me to buy an EV

I drove from Swansea to Cobham (Surrey) onto Middlesbrough then back to Swansea.
    The first leg of the journey took six hours and I also picked up a fine for overstaying in the services
    I got to the services with a range of thirty miles left so needed to charge the car.
    Both charging points were occupied and there was another driver waiting to use in front of me

So in my own experience I would try and talk anyone thinking of buying an EV not too!!

It’s all a massive CON

It’s proven that the Carbon Emissions made during the manufacturing process compared to the production of petrol or diesel engines is three to four times higher

The batteries deteriorate over time resulting in the owner having to purchase a new battery pack at huge cost

The government wants the entire population to be on public transport/cycling or walking or own an EV as production of petrol and diesel cars are being phased out in a decade

We apparently need several of these factories in order to keep up with the production of EV’s

We haven’t got one factory now and the Government are still pressing on with the phasing out of petrol/diesel production in a decade

It’s all insane!!

The cost of running it is now according to the AA and RAC greater than petrol or diesel

I've never owned a car. have you ever tried walking or riding a bike ?..it is possible not to have a car

It’s all a massive CON

It’s all insane!!

Wow. Don't think I've ever seen so many misconceptions about EVs in one post.

First of all who drives a mileage like Swansea to Cobham and Middlesbrough and back? It's a very extreme example of a journey that an EV might not be best suited for but ok it's one you had to do on this particular day. Most people will very rarely do a trip like that, if ever. And they certainly wouldn't be doing it without several rest stops, even in an ICE car.

A Porsche Taycan can charge at up to 225k. Not sure about other models but they're all extremely quick charging If you found it taking an hour to charge you were probably using an old Ecotricity charger (now Gridserve) that only goes up to 50kw. Should have gone to a faster one. Pick a site that has more than 2 chargers so you don't have to queue and don't charge beyond 85% as they slow down drastically after that to protect the battery. Quicker to carry on with your journey and charge again when your low.

Maybe governments around the world are lying to us but you seem to think oil companies aren't, because that's where a lot of the disinformation comes from.

Yes the carbon emissions in the manufacturing process are higher but they're reducing all the time. Even now they are offset after 4 years by much lower use of fossil fuel. It's quicker in countries where electricity generation has less fossil fuel involved.

Only a small number of batteries deteriorate to a point where they are unusable, usually due to misuse. Sometimes only individual battery modules have failed so you wouldn't have to replace the whole thing. If you did you'd typically scrap a cheap car at that point, the same as you would in a petrol or diesel car when the engine or gearbox had gone.That's just as commonplace if not more so. BTW batteries are highly recyclable or can be repurposed for home storage use so the scrap value is high.

Who would buy a ten year old EV? No idea as there are very few in existence so far. Mine' s 4 years old and still has a battery capacity higher than the manufacturer's spec so I'm optimistic it'll be good for several years.

'The infrastructure doesn't exist for all the EVs on the road' is a highly debatable point. It's improving all the time. I can charge at home, which is an advantage, but I have no difficulty finding public charging on my regular long trips. I can honestly say I've never had range anxiety.

Purchase cost is certainly higher than for ICE cars especially since our backward thinking government removed the grant, but good quality cheaper models such as the MG4 are beginning to emerge. Also Tesla has begun to cut the price of new models in the US. The UK used market has been inflated for a long time but prices in the last 6 months have dropped to much more sensible levels.

Yes the government wants to phase out ICE cars. Yes they will soon have to pay road tax but that was inevitable. I'm a bit pissed off that they intend to backdate it for existing cars though, when they won't be doing the same for older ICE cars. That's another example of our backward and corrupt government being in the pockets of the oil companies.

Yes the charging costs are now higher in some cases than petrol or diesel but that's only for public charging. It's still far cheaper charging at home. The government could quite easily equalise the price on public chargers by varying taxation but they're not serious about green issues on account of being a bit backward and corrupt. Maintenance costs are much lower.

Yes the British Volt factory has gone bust. A sensible government would have bankrolled such a vital piece of infrastructure. But you know, backward and corrupt etc.

If I've missed anything, let me know.

I didn’t do the journey in a day Eric.
    If you read my post I borrowed my sister’s EV for the weekend.
    To clarify I was on the fence about purchasing an EV - my sister who leases hers kept banging on about how great they are and was trying to convince me to buy one through the ‘lend’ of her vehicle.
    She lives in Swansea by the way - just outside Llansamlet so I had to travel there from Cardiff in order to collect the said vehicle.
    Cobham in Surrey was work related that’s why I went there first.
    The Saturday I headed up to Boro to visit family I hadn’t seen pre covid.
    Return trip on the Sunday.
    I strongly agree that you need to plan your journey
    I did
    What’s frustrating though is pulling into a service station and the charge points are occupied with several cars waiting
    I overstayed because I had no option of going over the two hours permitted stay.
    Also I found charging points didn’t work
    Also there were connectivity issues with the charging point and syncing to the car.
    All probably easy for you because you’ve had your car four years.
    Can you honestly tell me that you never had range anxiety when you first bought your EV?
    Putting on the Air Con and driving in excess of the speed limit- it was a Porsche so I had to put my foot down - all eats into the battery range.
    Regardless of who is conning us as to the Carbon Emissions the fact remains that EV’s are producing three to four times more carbon compared to the production of Petrol or diesel counterparts
    The fact of the lithium extraction is out there for anyone to look in google land.
    What’s not really mentioned is what or where exactly are the disused batteries going to go at the end of their lives?
    Land fill - outer space?
    That’s a huge problem

I am speaking honestly in order to help others make an informed decision about purchasing an EV based on my own experiences
    Nothing i witnessed and experienced will tempt me in the slightest to buy one.
    As already said they are too expensive
    Tesla’s just dropped their prices which tells you they’re to expensive to begin with.
    Overpriced
    Infrastructure in its infancy
    Second hand value is uncertain
    More expensive to run than petrol or diesel
    If you live in terraced housing or an apartment block then they’re impractical to charge at home
    I fail to see the positives??

Walk
    Cycle
    But if you do need to drive then I’m afraid EV’s are not on my shopping list in my lifetime

They’re a new technology in their infancy compared to cars that have been around for over a century. They’re not made or priced for the average man yet, the same way home computers in the 80’s weren’t.

I’m sure people in the 1920’s had plenty of negative opinions about cars and how horse and carriages were superior. Guess which one people use to get to work with these days…

I agree Kev
    Swansea to Cobham to Boro back to Swansea in a day lol 😂
    I’m sure Eric thinks I’m a County Lines drug runner 😆😆

As for the ‘Carbon Neutral do gooder’s’ it’s actually three to four times more Carbon Emissions to extract the lithium to make an EV which is another reason to turn your back on buying one.
    Four times as many emissions? Compared to twenty years of someone using a Diesel engine daily. I doubt that is true.

….quick reading online…..they talk about localised contamination, water waste ….stuff like that. I think your info is a little misleading.

Anyhow. That doesn’t excuse people using diesel and petrol engines. Use a bike, public transport.

Stop making the planet unliveable for my daughter and her daughter. Or at least try. Please.

I agree Kev
    Swansea to Cobham to Boro back to Swansea in a day lol ��
    I’m sure Eric thinks I’m a County Lines drug runner ����
    I don't think Kev was batting for you in that post...

I didn’t do the journey in a day Eric.
    If you read my post I borrowed my sister’s EV for the weekend.
    To clarify I was on the fence about purchasing an EV - my sister who leases hers kept banging on about how great they are and was trying to convince me to buy one through the ‘lend’ of her vehicle.
    She lives in Swansea by the way - just outside Llansamlet so I had to travel there from Cardiff in order to collect the said vehicle.
    Cobham in Surrey was work related that’s why I went there first.
    The Saturday I headed up to Boro to visit family I hadn’t seen pre covid.
    Return trip on the Sunday.
    I strongly agree that you need to plan your journey
    I did
    What’s frustrating though is pulling into a service station and the charge points are occupied with several cars waiting
    I overstayed because I had no option of going over the two hours permitted stay.
    Also I found charging points didn’t work
    Also there were connectivity issues with the charging point and syncing to the car.
    All probably easy for you because you’ve had your car four years.
    Can you honestly tell me that you never had range anxiety when you first bought your EV?
    Putting on the Air Con and driving in excess of the speed limit- it was a Porsche so I had to put my foot down - all eats into the battery range.
    Regardless of who is conning us as to the Carbon Emissions the fact remains that EV’s are producing three to four times more carbon compared to the production of Petrol or diesel counterparts
    The fact of the lithium extraction is out there for anyone to look in google land.
    What’s not really mentioned is what or where exactly are the disused batteries going to go at the end of their lives?
    Land fill - outer space?
    That’s a huge problem

I am speaking honestly in order to help others make an informed decision about purchasing an EV based on my own experiences
    Nothing i witnessed and experienced will tempt me in the slightest to buy one.
    As already said they are too expensive
    Tesla’s just dropped their prices which tells you they’re to expensive to begin with.
    Overpriced
    Infrastructure in its infancy
    Second hand value is uncertain
    More expensive to run than petrol or diesel
    If you live in terraced housing or an apartment block then they’re impractical to charge at home
    I fail to see the positives??

Walk
    Cycle
    But if you do need to drive then I’m afraid EV’s are not on my shopping list in my lifetime
    I completely agree that it's much easier when you have a bit of experience of driving an EV. In my case I did a fair bit of reading/You Tubing before I bought one so I knew where I was from the word go. It's completely different if you're just hiring or borrowing one for the first time.

No I've genuinely never had range anxiety. On the odd occasion when I've been too low to get to the charger I plan to go to I just got on the sat nav and found a nearer one. Yes it can be frustrating to find chargers out of order, but apps like Zapp Map will tell you if they are working or not before you waste time going there. I don't agree that the infrastructure is in its infancy.

Your point about uncertain second hand values is interesting. The one thing we do know is that ICE cars will be an obsolete technology in a few years. I don't think you'll be able to give one away as 2030 approaches. It's a bit like trying to flog a Euro 5 diesel car in London now as the ULEZ zone is expanded out to the M25.

There are solutions to charging if you live in a terraced house or apartment. Councils can provide lamp post chargers where people can trickle charge overnight. Destination chargers at supermarkets, pubs, multi storeys etc. often provide (relatively slow) charging at low prices. My local Tesco is cheaper than I'm currently paying at home. I even know one multi storey that still offers free charging. Admittedly that's very rare now.

As I mentioned in my first reply, it's unusual to have to replace an entire battery. The average lifespan of a petrol or diesel car in the UK is 9.7 years. EV batteries are warranted for at least 7 and even if you did have one that was uneconomic to repair it would never be put in landfill. Typically, they would be repurposed for home energy storage, or recycled for the valuable contents, particularly the lithium and cobalt.

Reasons to buy one? Clean air and lower carbon emissions are enough for me but there are others: cheaper to run except in very specific circumstances, no congestion charging in big cities and much nicer to drive especially in traffic. Also, in a few years you won't have a choice unless they invent something else.

Thanks for your courteous response Eric
    I still wouldn’t buy one though
    As for the future a good friend is convinced it’s water -hydrogen to be precise
    He’s very convincing and it’s an interesting topic but I’m not sure just how the oil and electric companies will react to this technology
    I’m sure it will be debated on here at some point 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I don't think Kev was batting for you in that post...
    Yeah I’m confused on which bit he agrees with me haha

He’s very convincing and it’s an interesting topic but I’m not sure just how the oil and electric companies will react to this technology
    I’m sure it will be debated on here at some point ��
    a mate of mine was working for a very famous UK company that were developing hydrogen fuel cells back 15 or 20 years ago, he said they started to also look into smaller ones that could power a car but they said that they abandoned that because in the event of a crash they would leave a small crater in the road

We don’t want any more potholes than we already have lol 😂

I think they've pretty much given up on hydrogen powered road vehicles now, certainly in the UK. Toyota did have a production model but it's much dearer even than EVs and there are fewer than 10 places you can refuel them.

I’m sure it will be debated on here at some point ��
    About 10 years ago ( might have been slightly more than that ) I saw a demo on Hydrogen fuel cells in Disney world ( yes really ) and it was billed a the green future, California were adapting it as the green future, building the filling pumps and spending big, It interested me and I did a fair bit of reading about it, it looked the real deal, as time has gone by, its slowly died and EV's are now the answer ( even in LA ) now they still have the filling pumps, but people just haven't gone down the route of the H20, last time I returned to this subject Toyota were making a H20 car it did 300 mile per fill