+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

https://apple.news/A1vEhHR5mSamMG3EJdHBsAw

PS:——— cash is king, as well

Re: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    https://apple.news/A1vEhHR5mSamMG3EJdHBsAw

PS:——— cash is king, as well
    "Charging an electric car at home is still much cheaper than buying a tank of fuel at the pumps"

IMO electric cars are a good idea, it's just that we are nowhere near the infrastructure needed. Certainly not for the serfs anyway

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    "Charging an electric car at home is still much cheaper than buying a tank of fuel at the pumps"

IMO electric cars are a good idea, it's just that we are nowhere near the infrastructure needed. Certainly not for the serfs anyway
    Infrastructure might not even be a thing.

The Chinese have apparently been using a battery swap system. You stop off at a "garage" when your battery is low, and they apparently just swap it out for a small fee. Might not even need chargers at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Infrastructure might not even be a thing.

The Chinese have apparently been using a battery swap system. You stop off at a "garage" when your battery is low, and they apparently just swap it out for a small fee. Might not even need chargers at home.
    Well that seems like an idea, but a bit of a nuisance.
    What I don't understand is why they don't do batteries that you can take out and charge.
    If you had two, then that would be a game changer and I'd do it.
    Until they do something like that I don't think it will be viable for someone like me in a terraced house

I started a thread on electric cars on the alternative forum a few months ago.
    My sister is leasing one and she’s been banging on about how great it is
    She loaned it to me for the weekend for me to try with the intention of getting me onto the EV bandwagon.
    My experience was frustrating to say the least!!
    A two and a half hour journey took me six hours!!
    You start to go into range panic mode as the battery gets lower and you need to look for a charging point.
    Trouble I found was pulling into the services and all of the charging points were being used.
    To charge up to eighty percent roughly takes an hour.
    I couldn’t go anywhere I just had to wait until one of the charging points became available as I didn’t have enough charge to be hopping onto the next services.
    My sister had a fine through from parking eye because I had overstayed my two hours at the services.
    I sent a letter to explain but my appeal was rejected.
    It really is insane.
    Coupled with the fact that not every charging point actually worked plus in addition you had to download an app to sort payment was just so time consuming.
    Honestly the car was great but actually buy one- not an effin chance.
    As for the ‘Carbon Neutral do gooder’s’ it’s actually three to four times more Carbon Emissions to extract the lithium to make an EV which is another reason to turn your back on buying one.
    Mark my words it’ll only be a few years until the government imposes some sort of road tax for these vehicles.
    Please don’t buy one it’s all a Con 🥺

Until the range of a van gets anywhere near 500 miles and charging times reduce drastically, them I'm not even considering getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    She loaned it to me for the weekend for me to try with the intention of getting me onto the EV bandwagon.
    You start to go into range panic mode as the battery gets lower and you need to look for a charging point.
    Trouble I found was pulling into the services and all of the charging points were being used.
    I couldn’t go anywhere I just had to wait until one of the charging points became available as I didn’t have enough charge to be hopping onto the next services.
    My sister had a fine through from parking eye because I had overstayed my two hours at the services.
    It really is insane.
    Coupled with the fact that not every charging point actually worked plus in addition you had to download an app to sort payment was just so time consuming.
    As for the ‘Carbon Neutral do gooder’s’ it’s actually three to four times more Carbon Emissions to extract the lithium to make an EV which is another reason to turn your back on buying one.
    Mark my words it’ll only be a few years until the government imposes some sort of road tax for these vehicles.
    Please don’t buy one it’s all a Con ��
    Electric cars registered from April 2025 will pay the lowest rate of £10 in the first year, then move to the standard rate which is currently £165.
    The standard rate will also apply to electric vehicles first registered after April 2017.

It really is insane.
    so you didn't charge it up before you left?

🥺
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...cles-from-2025

There you go
    Thanks for that
    The Government gets everyone on board then WHAM
    Kicked up the arse 🥺

It really is insane.
    A journalist on Radio 4 yesterday said much the same regarding the time, effort and inconvenience he had when leasing an electric car for his private use - and returned it to the supplier accordingly.

Oh my sister love her made sure it was fully charged before I left Rjk
    Valeted as well with one of those shitty pine thingies hanging from the interior mirror 😆

Wife & daughter in law went down West Wales last week in D.inLaw's new electric Jaguar. Needed to go off to somewhere else while they were there - around 50 mile round trip, but couldn't as they would have been out of range for the return trip. Tried charging at a services but after 30 mins had an extra '8 miles range'. It was freezing going down and they needed the heating on in the car - bingo ! Range is halved at a stroke.
    The one thing a car is supposed to do is give you freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want.

Oh my sister love her made sure it was fully charged before I left Rjk
    Valeted as well with one of those shitty pine thingies hanging from the interior mirror ��
    pretty crap range then if it can't do a 2.5 hour journey on one charge, about 175 miles?
    I wouldn't even have attempted it tbh sounds like thats one of the smaller EVs meant for pootling about town

I fortunately only loaned it for the weekend TBG
    I really think if most people had an opportunity to try before they buy they’d run a mile
    As I said my sister leases hers 👍

I fortunately only loaned it for the weekend TBG
    I really think if most people had an opportunity to try before they buy they’d run a mile
    As I said my sister leases hers ��
    I suppose that would save the car from extra mileage

Three or four times as much as what?

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Well that seems like an idea, but a bit of a nuisance.
    What I don't understand is why they don't do batteries that you can take out and charge.
    If you had two, then that would be a game changer and I'd do it.
    Until they do something like that I don't think it will be viable for someone like me in a terraced house
    Good idea except the batteries cost anything from £8k to £15k.

As I explained Rjk the old range panic mode sets in
    The battery levels drop and not being your car you want to re charge
    It’s the re charging that proved to be an absolute nightmare.
    Petrol or diesel you can just fill up and you’re away.
    The charging points were to few and often didn’t work or were in use.
    The results were painfully long waits
    For your information I travelled from Swansea to Cobham and then from Cobham to Middlesbrough then back to Swansea 👍

For Lardy
    In comparison with production of a petrol of a diesel car
    An electric vehicle produces three to four times the carbon emissions in the manufacturing process 👍

It really is insane.
    Please don’t buy one it’s all a Con 🥺
    It would have been an interesting personal experience but then you threw in the expression 'Carbon neutral do gooders'

What's wrong with aiming for a carbon neutral society?

Absolutely nothing
    But it’s all a massive CON
    The Lithium mining actually produces three to four times the amount of Carbon during the manufacturing process in comparison with conventional vehicles.
    How can it be good for our planet??

The clever marketing of these electric vehicles plays on people’s conscience
    We all want to do our bit to save the planet for the good of our kids and grandkids
    The fact is however we are being lied to !!

Absolutely nothing
    But it’s all a massive CON
    The Lithium mining actually produces three to four times the amount of Carbon during the manufacturing process in comparison with conventional vehicles.
    How can it be good for our planet??
    That's comparing the manufacturing process. What about over the lifetime of the car's use?

Two things.

1. A couple of years ago "hydrogen cells" would be the big game-changer - but it's all gone quiet on that front.

2.All petrol cars have batteries which are rechargeable - in fact we charge them as we drive; this is the function of the alternator we all have under the bonnet.
    Batteries for electric cars are rechargeable - why can't a similar system be incorporated? Or does this fall into the "perpetual motion is impossible" theory?